Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Anyone up for a different sort of Screencap of the Day discussion?

weaver
Half-elven

Feb 27 2007, 3:39pm

Post #1 of 12 (529 views)
Shortcut
Anyone up for a different sort of Screencap of the Day discussion? Can't Post

Drogo (my hero) has been emailing me about organizing a Bakshi discussion, but until he gets that rolling (in April, likely) ....what about doing something with our existing Screencap of the Day (SCOD) format for discussions?

For example -- did you know that the LOTR Image Library we use for the Screencap of the Day (SCOD) has the images sorted by character, as well as scenes? (I've been to that site a million times and just noticed this feature!)

You just need to scroll down to "Character Indices" to see the whole list of images this way.

Here's the link: http://www.framecaplib.com/lotrlib.htm

So -- what can we do with this new feature we've never used before?
  • Character of the Week?
  • Guess which scene this image is from?
  • First and last images of each character?

The Trivia Quizzes have been fun to start things off -- but let's see what else this New Board can do, shall we?

Special thanks to Reera the Red for the use of the Image Library, too! It's like our own Art Gallery!

Weaver

Lossefalme
Gondor

Feb 27 2007, 3:49pm

Post #2 of 12 (376 views)
Shortcut
I would be game for new SCOD fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think all of your ideas are good, Weaver. It might be interesting to see the evolution of characters throughout filming. After all, someone like Elijah basically grew up on this set. By filming all three movies at once, there is a unique opportunity here to follow the characters/people throught the process.

Btw, I love the Image Library and I am eternally grateful for all of the work that went into creating it. Thank you, Reera!

(Formerly Lossefalme3, just in case you're *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Aragorn threw back his cloak. The elven-sheath glittered as he grasped it, and the bright blade of Andúril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. 'Elendil!' he cried. 'I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dúnadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil's son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!' TTT, Book III, Chapter 2
And Éomer answered: 'Since the day when you rose before me out of the green grass of the downs I have loved you, and that love shall not fail.' RotK, Book VI, Chapter 5

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 27 2007, 4:45pm

Post #3 of 12 (354 views)
Shortcut
I like the idea... has great potential n/t [In reply to] Can't Post

no longer just aMagpie... I'm now *the* Magpie

Owlyross
Rohan

Feb 27 2007, 4:48pm

Post #4 of 12 (357 views)
Shortcut
Cool ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

And linking certain characters to their book inspiration...

Or theorising that a background character was intended as a character from the book.

There's lots of options and the LotR image library is too good a resource, with our shiny new picture friendly boards, to waste. The Bakshi discussion is also a great idea.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

drogo
Lorien

Feb 27 2007, 6:53pm

Post #5 of 12 (375 views)
Shortcut
Bakshi [In reply to] Can't Post

I talked to weaver about really doing a Bakshi discussion, and volunteered to organize. I will have to post more about it later in the week when i get a chance, but it wouldn't start till about the second week of April.

I'll ask for some volunteers who could help with the discussion and suggest ways to break it up. The DVD is available and not too expensive (there are lots of copies in bargain bins! ;)) .

It'll be fun to see how it fares now that we know the PJ films so well. Just no drooling over Aragorn's thong, please!

(Formerly drogo of the two names!)

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Feb 27 2007, 9:29pm

Post #6 of 12 (334 views)
Shortcut
Spoilsport./ [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Feb 27 2007, 9:36pm

Post #7 of 12 (347 views)
Shortcut
thumbs up from me, weaver! [In reply to] Can't Post

Elven by name, Hobbit by nature

'Road lead ever on and on
down from the door where it began
now far ahead the road has gone
down from where all began' -FOTR-

and through all the world has changed
the ages come and go with time
and yet those remain unchanged
unto they journey westward
over the sea...

drogo
Lorien

Feb 27 2007, 9:51pm

Post #8 of 12 (349 views)
Shortcut
I need to get my tomato-repellant vest dry cleaned first! / [In reply to] Can't Post

(Formerly drogo of the two names!)

(This post was edited by drogo on Feb 27 2007, 9:51pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 28 2007, 6:04pm

Post #9 of 12 (319 views)
Shortcut
sounds good [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm all for more screencaps. I think it might be fun to assign leaders a character, scene, etc. and just let them run with it. They could be very serious about it, or turn it into a game, or anything in between. Just a thought. Might add some variety to our discussions.

Also, we might want to consider the schedule. Originally SOD was on Monday, Wednesday, Friday because the posts weren't falling off the board every day. Of course, with the new boards, do we want to keep the every other day schedule or swtich to every day? Again, just a thought.

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

Nuradar
Rohan

Feb 28 2007, 7:06pm

Post #10 of 12 (314 views)
Shortcut
Sounds great to me! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've read many posts where one of you have deliberately focused on one character as you watched all 3 movies and experienced them through the eyes of that character. I always thought that sounded very cool - perhaps we can do something like that with the Screen Caps.

weaver
Half-elven

Feb 28 2007, 7:47pm

Post #11 of 12 (320 views)
Shortcut
Lots of good thoughts here -- still time for others to chime in! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to all who have replied so far -- more comments are needed and welcome, though, so don't be shy if you haven't weighed in yet!

I'll make a list of all the suggestions through this week, and then post something next week to get this next round of SCOD off the ground.

I'll be looking for leaders to kick things off, too -- and will come up with a new recipe from husband the chef to offer as an "incentive". He's a great baker, so let me know if you have any requests!

Weaver

Elanor
Bree

Mar 2 2007, 5:20pm

Post #12 of 12 (342 views)
Shortcut
I am fairly new to the movies [In reply to] Can't Post

and am up for any fun. I don't know them as well as most people here will but I'm learning!

I'm currently having problems accessing the site - posting this from a friend's computer - but I look forward to taking part in things here as soon as I can.

"Frodo thought for a moment. 'Well, Sam, what about elanor, the sun-star, you remember the little golden flower in the grass of Lothlorien?'"

(This post was edited by Elanor on Mar 2 2007, 5:21pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.