Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The Fairbairns' anniversary week reading thread
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 11 2012, 2:54pm

Post #1 of 28 (300 views)
Shortcut
The Fairbairns' anniversary week reading thread Can't Post

Yes, the Fairbairns' mumblety-umph wedding anniversary is tomorrow, 12/12/12. You mean there's something else going on this week, too? SmileWink

Seriously, most of us are going to be reading the fine print on our movie tickets (the Gaffer just looked in to say he's ordering ours) but maybe we'll have a few moments for, you know, books and magazines.

You can tell it's Hobbit week. Bloomberg Business has an article on how lucrative The Hobbit franchise is for MGM, with a great graphic where they've taken the MGM logo and dressed the roaring lion like Gandalf. Time has an article on motion-capture technology, prominently featuring Andy Serkis and Gollum.

So have YOU had time to read anything?

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2012, 3:13pm

Post #2 of 28 (160 views)
Shortcut
Exam period... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only got one written exam, and it's actually today (taking a break from last minute studies to write this, actually). It's for my Canadian Literature class, so I've basically just been reading over the assigned readings of the past semester as of late. I have found time to squeeze in more reading to The Three Musketeers and Letters From Father Christmas, but this has absorbed most of my time. On top of all that, I've been working heavily on my writing as well, because if I can manage it I'll be starting to submit to competitions in the coming months. So I've also been doing a lot of self-critiquing and such.

Such a busy time.

Who knows what next week will bring though.... Smile

Oh yeah, and I read my Hobbit tix plenty when I purchased them a month ago. Tongue

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

(This post was edited by One Ringer on Dec 11 2012, 3:13pm)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 11 2012, 5:18pm

Post #3 of 28 (121 views)
Shortcut
Good luck with your exams [In reply to] Can't Post

And with your writing as well. A good thing we have a enjoyable movie experience coming right up!

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2012, 5:59pm

Post #4 of 28 (142 views)
Shortcut
Cold Days! [In reply to] Can't Post

And that's not just New York weather (in fact, it's been rather warm here this season).

I'm on to Jim Butcher's Cold Days - the just released book 14 of the Dresden Files. To prep me for the book, I also read the last quarter of Ghost Story, the book previous to this one. I'm glad I did, as I'd forgotten a lot. There's a lot of Butcher fans that frequent this thread, so I won't spoil any of the book - although given that I'm only 10% in, there's not much to spoil, yet.

I did finish the third book of the The Awakened series by Jason Tesar. So much of the interesting parts were left undone that I'll continue to give it my previous "probably worth the $6 I paid in total for all three books, but not worth more than that".

Happy anniversary, Fairbairns!

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2012, 6:18pm

Post #5 of 28 (122 views)
Shortcut
Congrats! [In reply to] Can't Post

You picked a good date! Tomorrow will be the 100th anniversary of my father's parents wedding. They were married 12/12/12 -- only in 1912!

I have been reading free books on my Kindle -- Edgar Rice Burrows Barsoom books. My paperback book right now is James Mitchner's The Tell.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 11 2012, 6:22pm

Post #6 of 28 (115 views)
Shortcut
Six dollars for three books? [In reply to] Can't Post

Gosh, I have some of my e-editions priced cheaper than that---although I fondly believe they're worth a lot more!

Thank you! Hard to believe yet another anniversary has rolled around.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 11 2012, 6:26pm

Post #7 of 28 (127 views)
Shortcut
An auspicious date, then! [In reply to] Can't Post

I must admit our ultimate anniversary was the one last year, when we were in Auckland, NZ. Smile

Do you mean The Source? That was one of my favorite books back in my teens. I actually volunteered on the excavation of an Israeli tell myself (Gezer) during that time period. I wish I'd been able to read the stories of the real-life people who'd lived there, the way Michener told the stories of the people living on his imaginary tell.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 11 2012, 7:02pm

Post #8 of 28 (152 views)
Shortcut
"Proof of Heaven", "Application of Impossible Things", "Pride and Prejudice" [In reply to] Can't Post

"Proof of Heaven", by Dr. Eben Alexander, is the autobiographical story of a neurosurgeon who completely changed his view of near-death experiences after having one of his own. It's very readable and gripping and well-written.

After reading that, I decided to have another go at Natalie Sudman's "Application of Impossible Things", another autobiographical story of a near-death experience. Natalie (a friend of my sister's, which is how I came to hear of her book), was blown up by a roadside bomb in Iraq. Her description of her experience is harder to read than Dr. Alexander's, but also more meaty. She tries to describe things for which we have no words. That takes a poet, and sometimes she comes up with a metaphor that seems to convey something, and sometimes not. I had gotten about halfway through the last time I tried to read this, and gave up. But having read the first book seemed to make this one easier to read.

And then I'm re-reading "Pride and Prejudice", which is the first Jane Austen book I read, a few years ago when my daughter was getting into them. As a newbie, I had trouble getting into it the first time. But now, having read all the books and seen some movie adaptations, I'm wondering what was so hard about it before. I'm laughing and enjoying it very much. I am finding, after watching the "Lizzie Bennet Diaries" on youtube, that I'm picturing the characters looking like those actors, which is anachronistic, of course, for England in the early 1800s. I see Bingley and Caroline and Charlotte and Maria as Asian, because they are in the youtube videos, and Col. Fitzwilliam as black and gay, and Mary as a bit emo. But that makes the reading all the more fun.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

kiwifan
Rohan

Dec 11 2012, 8:47pm

Post #9 of 28 (113 views)
Shortcut
The Château de Hougoumont and two very different kinds of tears [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that cryptic or what! Evil

No, seriously, it was a strange coincidence.... having succumbed to a flu virus the weekend before last, I sought solace (as is my habit) in the charming works of the incomparable Georgette Heyer (I have owned and read all of her novels that ever came out in paperback for many years, some for three and a half decades now, and almost know some of them by heart). Anyway, here I was, re-reading 'An Infamous Army' for the umpteenth time, incapable as usual to skip over the detailed description of the battle of Waterloo because it is so vividly described, hence 'revisiting' the Château de Hougoumont first on an expedition with Judith and Barbara and later on living through its siege with the valiant Colonel MacDonald, and shedding tears over some of the story's characters dying in that most sanguinary combat. Then, after finishing the novel and to counter-act this Waterloo-induced sadness, I picked up a book containing miscellaneous stories by P.G. Wodehouse and, in 'Mr Potter takes a Rest Cure' (which takes place about two centuries later), I came across this bit 'It has been well said by many thinkers that in human affairs you can never be certain that some little trifling obstacle will not undo the best-laid of schemes. It was the sunken road at Hougoumont that undid the French cavalry at Waterloo, and it was something very similar that caused Clifford Gandle's plan of action to go wrong now --- a jug of water....' a story that made me laugh so hard I cried and cried. Now how likely is it (unless you're a student of military history) to come across one small Belgian château involved in a battle in two utterly different books on the very same day?!

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 11 2012, 9:02pm

Post #10 of 28 (112 views)
Shortcut
You do seem to have found . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . two books that complement each other. Have you ever read Spook by Mary Roach? I think I mentioned here several months ago. She explores several possible avenues to an afterlife, one of which is near-death experiences.

The YouTube P & P sounds enjoyable quirky. It just goes to show the strength of the original story that it works so well in various translations.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 11 2012, 9:04pm

Post #11 of 28 (127 views)
Shortcut
How odd! [In reply to] Can't Post

And yet this sort of thing happens to me all the time---for one example, see gramma's TIME post on Main and my response. All this just goes to show you that there are odd currents in fate and in reading Smile

I adore Wodehouse, and really need to dive into Heyer, since I've heard nothing but good things about her.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2012, 10:46am

Post #12 of 28 (108 views)
Shortcut
Yep, [In reply to] Can't Post

The cover came off the book years and years ago. I bought the book when it first came out. It has no front or back cover and has lost the pages in the front to the first chapter.

kiwifan
Rohan

Dec 12 2012, 11:10am

Post #13 of 28 (154 views)
Shortcut
Happy anniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the 12th today, so I may send best wishes for your anniversary (we have a superstition that premature congratulations bring bad luck) --- an auspicious day it is, and I'm off to the cinema now to see you-know-what! Smile

More about coincidences, Wodehouse and Heyer when I'm back --- unless my back is so badly wrecked again that I cannot sit at all (very likely, as the Hobbit is almost 3 hours long). I've had in mind a small résumé of Heyer's novels so you can decide which one you want to start with...

Have a lovely day, both of you!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 12 2012, 3:26pm

Post #14 of 28 (96 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll look forward to your list of Heyer novels---and also to hearing about the awesomeness of the movie Smile

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Dec 12 2012, 4:05pm

Post #15 of 28 (122 views)
Shortcut
Jim Butcher's new "Dresden" novel [In reply to] Can't Post

My wife got first dibs on Cold Days, the new Dresden Files novel. Next on the shelf is Every Day is an Atheist Holiday! by Penn Jillette.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 12 2012, 5:25pm

Post #16 of 28 (113 views)
Shortcut
re the LBDs [In reply to] Can't Post

I howled when I saw that they'd made Mary "emo." PERFECT way to update her! And Wickham as the player jock, also perfect. The two guys (I'm assuming Bernie is a guy) who wrote these are geniuses!

Apparently Jennifer Love Hewitt is looking into producing a series that will update P&P and set it in the southern USA. (She will not play Lizzie, never fear.) Half the comments on that article said "Don't bother - the Lizzie Bennet Diaries have already done that perfectly!"

(except, being Internet comments, most of them weren't so . . . polite.)

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 12 2012, 7:31pm

Post #17 of 28 (105 views)
Shortcut
My favorite Internet comment so far on the LBDs [In reply to] Can't Post

was the top comment on episode 70, when Lydia is planning her 21st birthday party and inviting all kinds of people. The comment was "Something Wickham this way comes."

I hadn't heard of the proposed Jennifer Love Hewitt series, but I agree, the LBDs have already done it perfectly.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 12 2012, 7:35pm

Post #18 of 28 (90 views)
Shortcut
There's a good pair of books [In reply to] Can't Post

Butcher is a very popular author here on TORn it sounds like. I'll have to search out the Jillette book. He's quite funny and yet makes some good points at the same time.

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 12 2012, 8:05pm

Post #19 of 28 (104 views)
Shortcut
A list of my favorite Heyer novels [In reply to] Can't Post

would include these:

The Grand Sophy
Cotillion
The Nonesuch
Arabella
The Quiet Gentleman
The Reluctant Widow
The Talisman Ring
The Masqueraders
These Old Shades & Devil's Cub (have to read "Shades" first to fully enjoy "Cub")

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 1:31am

Post #20 of 28 (89 views)
Shortcut
I forgot to say Happy Anniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

True love is the greatest thing in the world :-) May you have many, many more anniversaries.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 13 2012, 1:41am

Post #21 of 28 (91 views)
Shortcut
Finally started American Gods [In reply to] Can't Post

by Neil Gaiman. I've had it on my reading shelf for months, but for some reason I avoided starting it. Don't know why because I loved Neverwhere, but I started it this week. Early days yet, but so far I really like it.

Ex-convict Shadow is given an unusual job offer by the mysterious Mr. Wednesday, and he starts an amazing adventure with strange characters in familiar places across the US. What I like about Gaiman's style is that I'm instantly drawn into the world that he's created, even when I don't know what is going on. I can overlook the strange names, and creatures, and immerse myself into Shadow's life.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 3:02pm

Post #22 of 28 (70 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll start myself a HTBR---Heyer To Be Read---list.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 3:02pm

Post #23 of 28 (65 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Auntie D! [In reply to] Can't Post

I look at the calendar and boggle. How could so many years have gone by?

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 13 2012, 3:03pm

Post #24 of 28 (85 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes, Gaiman! [In reply to] Can't Post

He's a master at drawing you into a fantasy world. Enjoy!

kiwifan
Rohan

Dec 13 2012, 8:35pm

Post #25 of 28 (73 views)
Shortcut
Very mixed feelings and my back is killing me [In reply to] Can't Post

so the 'Heyer novels resume' will have to wait (possibly until January in the hope that my back will be better by then, and besides I'll be at my brother's place from the 20th until New Year's and can't do it there) so please bear with me!

As for TH-AuJ, I came out of the cinema in a state of utter enchantment but as the euphoria of having been back in Middle-earth slowly wore off, all the stuff I found really jarring (and some of it downright awful) surfaced --- so I'm waiting to see how I feel after seeing it again on Saturday afternoon (that time in German with my friends, and in 3D HDR) before I say too much here. Mostly my impression is that the things I expected to be good actually were truly awesome and the things I was afraid they might mess up they did so indeed, at least for me, hence the very mixed feelings. But you'll go see it for yourselves, and I sincerely hope you'll like it tremendously! One thing: in the (superbly acted) 'Riddles in the Dark' scene Bilbo provides one bit of information that I always thought crucial for one thing in FotR to make sense and which is not in the book, so that made me happy. I wonder whether any of you will notice or even care? (My own little riddle for you Wink)...

And oh my poor back, I'm so full of pain medication that I'm feeling really sick, and it doesn't even help much (hopefully chirotherapy next Tuesday will improve things but it doesn't always do the trick). I knew how it would be but also always knew that I'd go see the film anyway, no matter the inevitable consequences, and I don't regret it (I've never seen any part of LotR in the cinema and think that really is a pity). Yesterday, I alternately sat and stood in the cinema, and that was okay, the really bad pain usually comes later anyway so it didn't mar the experience but last night was pretty ghastly. Oh well, I'll live --- but better go lie down again.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.