Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What I fear will happen now...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Dec 10 2012, 6:32pm

Post #1 of 71 (2094 views)
Shortcut
What I fear will happen now... Can't Post

It seems like, one of the main criticisms of AUJ is the running time. FOTR did not receive so much negativity about the the running time and so Peter continued to make TTT and ROTK close to 3 hours. What i fear will happen now, because AUJ is being criticized so much, is that in the next two films, we'll see a much reduced running time in order to appease critics. I really hope this isn't the case and that Peter continues with his vision for the next two, running time and all :-)

elevorn
Lorien

Dec 10 2012, 6:34pm

Post #2 of 71 (937 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so... [In reply to] Can't Post

The complaints about running time come from people who simply are not as interested or invested in the movie. PJ will tell his story no matter what. Look at King Kong and Lovely Bones. PJ tells his story, he doesn't listen to the critics who complain about length.

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

dave_lf
Gondor

Dec 10 2012, 6:38pm

Post #3 of 71 (890 views)
Shortcut
$$ [In reply to] Can't Post

If the box office is on par with expectations, then none of that noise will matter. If it is below, then I fear you're right.

Shagrat
Gondor

Dec 10 2012, 6:38pm

Post #4 of 71 (881 views)
Shortcut
As I've said before... [In reply to] Can't Post

The critical response won't affect anything; it'll be the box office that does that. If AUJ rakes in over a billion I'm sure we can look forward to three-hour sequels.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 10 2012, 6:40pm

Post #5 of 71 (829 views)
Shortcut
Total gross speaks louder than pre-release reviews. [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ will be driven by how much the film makes, not by a handful of reviews.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Dec 10 2012, 6:44pm

Post #6 of 71 (810 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

Then lets hope it makes over a billion!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2012, 6:46pm

Post #7 of 71 (786 views)
Shortcut
I don't think [In reply to] Can't Post

studios are concerned with appeasing critics. At all. The Hobbit will make lots and lots of money-- that's what the studio cares about

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 10 2012, 6:48pm

Post #8 of 71 (803 views)
Shortcut
Pssst... [In reply to] Can't Post

Would you mind putting more than a full stop in your subject line? It would make it easier for those who view discussions in threaded mode to click on your subject line to open it.

Many thanks.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Dec 10 2012, 6:55pm

Post #9 of 71 (820 views)
Shortcut
How Peter Jackson makes His Movies [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson repeated says that he makes the movies he wants to see. So I gather the next two will be whatever pleases him and not the critics. That is fortunate for us.

So much presumption and judgement about audience reaction going on about a movie that isn't even released to audiences yet... It's quite amazing to watch.

jimmyfenn
Rohan

Dec 10 2012, 6:55pm

Post #10 of 71 (744 views)
Shortcut
big and small [In reply to] Can't Post

i think its becuase everyone respected that lotr was such a huge book, so were expecting and were happy that the films didnt rush through them

with the hobbit i think people are expecting something much shorter!

"You Tolkien to me?!" - Hobbit de Niro

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2012, 7:00pm

Post #11 of 71 (717 views)
Shortcut
We have nothing to fear but fear itself. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Arthur: What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: I... am an enchanter.
Arthur: By what name are you known?
Tim: There are some who call me... 'Tim'...?
Arthur: ...greetings, Tim the Enchanter.

dave_lf
Gondor

Dec 10 2012, 7:05pm

Post #12 of 71 (759 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson can say what he wants [In reply to] Can't Post

but it is WB who will ultimately decide whether to lay down the law over runtime for the next one. And they mostly just care about money (studios like to win Oscars too, so they won't completely ignore the critics even if the thing makes more money than Smaug).

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2012, 7:09pm

Post #13 of 71 (697 views)
Shortcut
If that were true then all his movies would never be longer than 90 minutes. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Arthur: What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: I... am an enchanter.
Arthur: By what name are you known?
Tim: There are some who call me... 'Tim'...?
Arthur: ...greetings, Tim the Enchanter.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Dec 10 2012, 7:15pm

Post #14 of 71 (674 views)
Shortcut
Money [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with the money part and the whole corporate studio thing. However, I believe Peter Jackson has more say than you think. Have you seen the contract?

Glóin the Dark
Rivendell

Dec 10 2012, 7:15pm

Post #15 of 71 (704 views)
Shortcut
Durations of Parts II and III? [In reply to] Can't Post

There seems to be a general assumption (among critics as well as message-board posters) that the next two films are intended to be roughly the same length as An Unexpected Journey. I wonder if this assumption is warranted.

Myself, I wouldn't be surprised if they have been intending to produce two more films of around three hours, but nor would I be surprised if it turned out that they were planning a pair of two-hour films. (Or, of couse, anything in between.)

dave_lf
Gondor

Dec 10 2012, 7:44pm

Post #16 of 71 (621 views)
Shortcut
He certainly has negotiating power [In reply to] Can't Post

but if the films for some reason fail to make as much money as hoped (not expecting this), he will lose it.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2012, 7:48pm

Post #17 of 71 (650 views)
Shortcut
Considering the extra 1-2 months of shooting being done early next year, [In reply to] Can't Post

I seriously doubt the next two films will be •shorter•. I think the next one will be closer to 3 hours, and the last one at least 3˝. That's my guess, anyway.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Dec 10 2012, 7:57pm)

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 10 2012, 7:57pm

Post #18 of 71 (629 views)
Shortcut
Exceptionally unlikely in my view. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would be surprised if Jackson's contract terms were not beefy in this regard and any worries about film duration being off-putting would pale into insignificance compared to possibility of a story of studio control overriding the director in this particular instance.

In any situation other than the first film performing extraordinarily badly, I cannot imagine the studio taking such actions.

LR

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Dec 10 2012, 8:03pm

Post #19 of 71 (588 views)
Shortcut
If anything... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the next two films might even be a bit longer, but won't feel as "bloated". Evidently, the last minute decision to split The Hobbit in three meant incorporating scenes in Bag End and Rivendell that were probably "extended DVD" material.

But with all the stuff still left to shoot, the next two films are more likely to warrant their screentime. That's my hope, anyway.

(Not really interested in spending 45 minutes in Bag End, as much as I love the book).

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 10 2012, 8:08pm

Post #20 of 71 (600 views)
Shortcut
No way [In reply to] Can't Post

The extra time is being used to shoot the Battle of Five Armies, which hasn't been shot yet, and extra scenes to make the remaining footage work as two films. I enormously doubt the two additional films will run to 3 hours or more.

* crunch *

(This post was edited by Crunchable Birdses on Dec 10 2012, 8:09pm)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Dec 10 2012, 8:13pm

Post #21 of 71 (556 views)
Shortcut
Privy [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but if the films for some reason fail to make as much money as hoped (not expecting this), he will lose it.

I didn't know that was in Jackson's contract as well. Where did you get hold of a copy?

dave_lf
Gondor

Dec 10 2012, 8:23pm

Post #22 of 71 (532 views)
Shortcut
The studio is making the films [In reply to] Can't Post

They have final say on everything by default, unless their contract with the director (or anyone else) explicitly states otherwise. Have you see it? Smile

Finrod
Rohan

Dec 10 2012, 8:28pm

Post #23 of 71 (527 views)
Shortcut
secret contracts [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
They have final say on everything by default, unless their contract with the director (or anyone else) explicitly states otherwise. Have you see it? Smile

You mean their contract with Ian McKellen stating that he gets the #1 top billing slot in all publicity, and a cut of the profits, too?

Nope, not a bit. :)

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

cameragod
Lorien

Dec 10 2012, 8:35pm

Post #24 of 71 (515 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

FOTR received a lot of criticism about its length when it came out. That is why PJ made that comment that he wasn't expecting people to complain because he gave them too much movie.

All artists are prepared to suffer for their work, but why are so few prepared to learn to draw? :BANKSY

"A Cameraman without a camera is just a man." Stephen Press

Notanelvishname
Lorien

Dec 10 2012, 9:29pm

Post #25 of 71 (474 views)
Shortcut
The only thing that matters [In reply to] Can't Post

is the first week end box office.
Anything under 90 millions will means troubles.
But the length of the 2 sequels will not suffer a bit.
At most they will recalibrate the tone of the movies...
But Warner actualy is very confident about their product.
Oh and you can't change a contract like that.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.