Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Yes, thank you. I know that

And back again
Rivendell

Dec 10 2012, 6:21pm

Post #1 of 19 (700 views)
Shortcut
Yes, thank you. I know that Can't Post

Someone who knows I am a huge LOTR fan, who knows that I have been on a Red Carpet Tour of LOTR film sites in NZ TWICE, who knows that I went to an LOTR EE marathon at the cinema last Saturday....

has just told me that a film about The Hobbit is coming out soon.

Doh! Do I look as though I live on the other side of the moon???

Any other people out there who have had this pointed out to them by people who know of their LOTR obsession?

I will go there ... and back again.

Flame of Udun
Rivendell

Dec 10 2012, 6:28pm

Post #2 of 19 (311 views)
Shortcut
This past summer [In reply to] Can't Post

I reminded a friend of mine that the movie of the Hobbit was coming out in December and he didn't believe me....I forgot for a moment that I had been following TORN for years...just seemed like it was old news

"'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand. What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.''

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 10 2012, 6:32pm

Post #3 of 19 (305 views)
Shortcut
Wait? There's a FILM?! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always have people try and tell me "facts" about the book, before they realise I'm not any old "fan". And there are those that insist that the book was rubbish because they couldn't finish it.Wink

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Dec 10 2012, 6:32pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 10 2012, 8:53pm

Post #4 of 19 (203 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

I keep forgetting that the general public doesn't have as much knowledge about these films as I do. I've been here so long that everything just seems like old news.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 10 2012, 9:10pm

Post #5 of 19 (221 views)
Shortcut
Not so much the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

but actors and crew.

There I am jumping for joy because I got to meet Richard Taylor and have a picture with him..... silence .. Shocked..... silence ...... "who?????".

And some even don't have any clue who Peter Jackson is Unsure.

Than it is hard to explain why you are looking forward to a certain movie.

alienorchid
Lorien

Dec 10 2012, 10:12pm

Post #6 of 19 (171 views)
Shortcut
This happens to me a LOT [In reply to] Can't Post

I hang out with quite geeky people, but very few of them are as 'involved' as I am. They have been updating me on casting announcements (usually weeks late), TV spots (even after I told them I was abstaining!), and quite often tell me about things that happen in the books... and get it wrong D:

I am very patient and understanding with them, though!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 10 2012, 10:27pm

Post #7 of 19 (165 views)
Shortcut
We met [In reply to] Can't Post

a big Tolkien fan while waiting alongside the red carpet in Wellington. Admittedly he would have been about 10 when FOTR was released, but I was surprised when I realised he didn't know who Richard Taylor was - not just to look at, but what this Richard Taylor bloke had to do with The Hobbit movie.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 10 2012, 11:43pm

Post #8 of 19 (173 views)
Shortcut
The hardest part for me [In reply to] Can't Post

is to not make them feel Tookish.. I mean... Foolish. It's mostly people at the University Library where I work.

"Really? Are you sure there's a movie?"

"No! Dennys has food named for the movie? I'm gonna afta check that out!"

"There's a magazine out called The Hobbit!? WOW! I'll have to see if I can find one" *kaff* and the article I contributed to it ;)

But you know what... I encourage each and every one of those lovely souls to let me know if they hear or see anything else about it; because for them to think of me and make the effort to share those things with me is so touching. They not only know I'm a geek; but they're enabling me, too! How cool is that? :D

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Dec 10 2012, 11:45pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 11 2012, 12:05am

Post #9 of 19 (160 views)
Shortcut
Grandma..Same Same boat.. Even at the Lord of the Rings marathon [In reply to] Can't Post

Saturday?.. What
there is a movie
about what?
I do believe that she knows what a hobbit is
now?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 11 2012, 12:12am

Post #10 of 19 (134 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* So cute!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Reptile
Rivendell

Dec 11 2012, 1:21am

Post #11 of 19 (142 views)
Shortcut
Grandma didn't know she was talking to a hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

This has now shown up on the marketing side. There is currently a Denny's commercial showing a grandmother and young person having breakfast at Denny's, and the grandmother tells the kid they're making a Hobbit movie--the restaurant goes dead quiet and the camera pans; all the customers wearing LOTR costumes. It's pretty funny.

"If you listen closely, you can hear the gods laughing."

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 11 2012, 2:06am

Post #12 of 19 (122 views)
Shortcut
Great commercial! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very funny Smile

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 11 2012, 2:33am

Post #13 of 19 (111 views)
Shortcut
I would love to see that! / [In reply to] Can't Post

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Dec 11 2012, 2:49am

Post #14 of 19 (143 views)
Shortcut
IIRC, the joke [In reply to] Can't Post

is that she says they designed a whole movie around the Denny's Hobbit menu.*utensils drop*

I haven't seen it too often, and it goes by pretty quickly. I'm sure someone else will know.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 11 2012, 3:47am

Post #15 of 19 (118 views)
Shortcut
That's right. [In reply to] Can't Post

And everyone just looks at her like she's crazy, which of course she is. I thought it was a great way to advertise the film without being just another tv spot (not that I don't like those).

And back again
Rivendell

Dec 11 2012, 6:19am

Post #16 of 19 (126 views)
Shortcut
For Ataahua [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbRdRgHPVdQ

Very short commercial.

I will go there ... and back again.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 11 2012, 7:29am

Post #17 of 19 (101 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks heaps for finding it. :)

Ataahua's stories

shadowdog
Rohan

Dec 11 2012, 6:48pm

Post #18 of 19 (57 views)
Shortcut
I really like the [In reply to] Can't Post

First and second breakfast commercials Denny put out. They were even funnier then that one. Sly

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 12 2012, 12:20am

Post #19 of 19 (161 views)
Shortcut
lol....well I did have a friend ask me, [In reply to] Can't Post

"Are you going to see The Hobbit movie?"

And I did have a moment where I thought, how could they possibly ask me that in a tone of voice that implies that I might possibly, ever in a million years, ever have any other answer other than "Yes"???

So your post really did make me laugh, because it was the same type of situation. But I think our friends are just trying to make conversation with us on a topic they know we like, and I suppose that is really a very thoughtful thing to do :-).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.