Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit Screenwriter Reveals A Story Recycled From Lord Of The Rings For A New Hobbit Character
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Dec 10 2012, 4:20pm

Post #1 of 43 (2228 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit Screenwriter Reveals A Story Recycled From Lord Of The Rings For A New Hobbit Character Can't Post

Sorry if this was already posted. I looked but didn't see it.

Excerpt:

According to Boyens, "There was a story that both Fran and I loved in The Lord of the Rings that didn't make it into the film," and when it came time to writer The Hobbit the screenwriters realized they could take that story and reshape it as Tauriel's. When I asked her which story she wasn't sharing any further details, but allowed that fans of the original books will recognize the story-- and promised me "Wait until you see Evangeline Lilly. She is an elf."

http://www.cinemablend.com/...Character-34504.html

So what do you think she is referring to?

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

Boulderfist
The Shire

Dec 10 2012, 4:25pm

Post #2 of 43 (1178 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to guess Beregond [In reply to] Can't Post

She could be the Mirkwood Elves version of him,

utku
Rivendell

Dec 10 2012, 4:33pm

Post #3 of 43 (1143 views)
Shortcut
When I read the title the first thing I thought was [In reply to] Can't Post

Tom Bombadil. Now all that sounds rather silly (why of course) but it would be funny if Tauriel turned out to be an elven version of Goldberry. Laugh

Glóin the Dark
Rivendell

Dec 10 2012, 4:52pm

Post #4 of 43 (1023 views)
Shortcut
I guess... [In reply to] Can't Post

Lotho Sackville-Baggins. She's going to declare herself The Boss and turn Mirkwood into a factory before getting eaten by Gríma Wormtongue.

mutelock
Bree

Dec 10 2012, 4:52pm

Post #5 of 43 (1059 views)
Shortcut
Given all the things said about Kili... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Could it be Galadriel and Gimli's story? That scene with the three golden hairs was only in the EE, right? I haven't seen the theatrical version in years. After that their story was never fully developed.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 10 2012, 4:54pm

Post #6 of 43 (1063 views)
Shortcut
Nimrodel and Amroth? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil and Tauriel...?

" 'Twas a near thing!" said Spam. "Came nigh to a-spoilin' me pantaloons."

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 10 2012, 4:57pm

Post #7 of 43 (1003 views)
Shortcut
It's XenaArwen isn't it? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

sycorax82
Rohan

Dec 10 2012, 5:05pm

Post #8 of 43 (1021 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps Glorfindel vs the Witch-King? [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindel originally drove the Witch-King out of Fornost and prophecised that no mortal man could kill him.

Maybe we're gonna see Tauriel vs Witch-King and her saying that prophecy, in a cheesy Boyens/Walsh sisters-doing-it-for-themselves moment etc. ;)

Shagrat
Gondor

Dec 10 2012, 5:07pm

Post #9 of 43 (975 views)
Shortcut
I thought that... [In reply to] Can't Post

But then Boyens does suggest that it's in the books.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 10 2012, 5:08pm

Post #10 of 43 (964 views)
Shortcut
The Sauron-Shelob romance... [In reply to] Can't Post

She lost some weight and got a face-lift.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 10 2012, 5:11pm

Post #11 of 43 (936 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe Tauriel adopts a pet fox! And owns a talking purse. Evil

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 10 2012, 5:16pm

Post #12 of 43 (926 views)
Shortcut
I'd like that [In reply to] Can't Post

Just to see all the Glorfdorks have a complete meltdown.

* crunch *

Elutherian
Rohan

Dec 10 2012, 5:23pm

Post #13 of 43 (899 views)
Shortcut
That one! [In reply to] Can't Post

I choose that one! Laugh

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2012, 5:39pm

Post #14 of 43 (882 views)
Shortcut
Bard & his son Bain seem much more likely for a Beregond/Bergil relationship... [In reply to] Can't Post

Could she be a girly Glorfindel? A "reincarnation" of an Elf from a past age, perhaps?

"Fans of the books" would seem to imply it's not XenArwen, though we know she's basically going to be this anyway.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 10 2012, 5:56pm

Post #15 of 43 (878 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I wonder... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Eowyn-Aragorn-Faramir story? Substitute Tauriel for Eowyn, and...?

Seems like I keep coming up with the romances, lol!
Heart

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 10 2012, 5:58pm

Post #16 of 43 (833 views)
Shortcut
It's plausible! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel and Kili may or may not have a thing for each other ... though, if it is to match Eowyn and Faramir's storyline ... they have to get married!

Crazy

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2012, 6:03pm

Post #17 of 43 (807 views)
Shortcut
The Eowyn-Aragorn-Faramir story DID make it into the films though... [In reply to] Can't Post

FB clearly says something which didn't make it into LotR. Though, it would be hilarious to see the chaos unleashed should a Tauriel/Kili/Somebody Else romantic triangle actually happen. Perhaps the "Young Elf Lord" is still in and they're keeping it a secret. Tongue

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Dec 10 2012, 6:06pm)

utku
Rivendell

Post #18 of 43 (824 views)
Shortcut
What about Kili-Tauriel-Bard love triangle? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or Kili-Tauriel-Fili? Well that would be rather tragic but the other one, a love triangle involving a dwarf and elf and a man should please everyone. Tongue

(This post was edited by utku on Dec 10 2012, 6:06pm)

Seaber
Rivendell

Post #19 of 43 (847 views)
Shortcut
Halbarad [In reply to] Can't Post

She will be to Thranduil what Halbarad is to Aragorn.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 10 2012, 6:22pm

Post #20 of 43 (761 views)
Shortcut
I don't remember the Eowyn-Faramir part, [In reply to] Can't Post

unless it was in the EE? The only scene I remember with Eowyn and Faramir is them standing next to each other at Aragorn's crowning ceremony.

(This post was edited by Aragalen the Green on Dec 10 2012, 6:22pm)

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 10 2012, 6:23pm

Post #21 of 43 (831 views)
Shortcut
Or what about Thranduil? [In reply to] Can't Post

Will they show a Mrs. Thranduil? If not...hmm.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2012, 6:37pm

Post #22 of 43 (752 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it was in the EE... [In reply to] Can't Post

Fairly brief, but still there...there's a moment where Eowyn sees Faramir starring (rather creepily) at her in the Houses of Healing, and subsequently a scene he consoles her as the Army of the West makes for the Black Gate. They originally shot the wedding of Faramir and Eowyn as well, while FB's words make it sound as if she's referring to something which was totally absent from the films, IMO.

But if you haven't seen the longer cuts, it's definitely worthwhile to do so! There are a number of wonderful character moments which strengthen the cast even further than in the theatrical edits. Smile

ElendurTheFaithful
Rivendell

Dec 10 2012, 6:41pm

Post #23 of 43 (775 views)
Shortcut
"Wait until you see Evangeline Lilly. She is an elf. [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't wait. She is. My first choice for an elven lady since 2004.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 10 2012, 6:45pm

Post #24 of 43 (733 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes I must! I've already got the LOTR soundtracks on my wish list, the EE's (TT and ROTK, I already have FOTR-EE) need to be there too.

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Dec 10 2012, 8:45pm

Post #25 of 43 (606 views)
Shortcut
Oh please no! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like something they would do! But if you're right, I will probably expire right there in my chair.

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.