Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Mispronounced names?

stoutfiles
Rohan

Dec 10 2012, 4:57pm

Post #1 of 15 (1433 views)
Shortcut
Mispronounced names? Can't Post

While reading another negative review by someone who hates high frame rates and slow pacing, this self-pronounced lover of Tolkien says that two dwarves have their names pronounced incorrectly.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/filmreviews/9730525/The-Hobbit-An-Unexpected-Journey-movie-review.html

For anyone who has seen the movie, is this so? If so, which ones?

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 10 2012, 5:05pm

Post #2 of 15 (678 views)
Shortcut
I'm going for Oin and Gloin [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't see how any other name would be "mis-pronounced". The majority of people either think "Oin" is "Owen", or "Oi-n".

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Dec 10 2012, 5:06pm)

sycorax82
Rohan

Dec 10 2012, 5:09pm

Post #3 of 15 (649 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf pronounces them all perfectly in the first trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe they're simply gonna show Bilbo or another character pronouncing them wrong out of confusion. I'm sure it will be deliberate.

And back again
Rivendell

Dec 10 2012, 5:13pm

Post #4 of 15 (579 views)
Shortcut
Strange [In reply to] Can't Post

I have just read this review myself and wondered which names had been mispronounced.

I think it might be Fili and Kili.

I assume that they should be pronounced with a long 'i'. Pronouncing them like 'filly' and 'killy' might be wrong.

I will go there ... and back again.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 10 2012, 5:14pm

Post #5 of 15 (648 views)
Shortcut
Haven't seen the movie, but I've noticed Fili and Kili [In reply to] Can't Post

have been pronounced two different ways--Keely and Feely or Killi and Filli (with short i's).

" 'Twas a near thing!" said Spam. "Came nigh to a-spoilin' me pantaloons."

ForestPark
Rivendell

Dec 10 2012, 5:38pm

Post #6 of 15 (518 views)
Shortcut
Oh Slarty Bartfast !! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mad

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Dec 10 2012, 6:02pm

Post #7 of 15 (478 views)
Shortcut
I always pronounced it [In reply to] Can't Post

Bye-fur and Bow-fur but maybe that's just me (and my Dad who first read me the book). Blush

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2012, 6:08pm

Post #8 of 15 (470 views)
Shortcut
Oyeen and Gloyeen rather than O-in and Glo-in is what he's probably referring to, IMO. // [In reply to] Can't Post

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2012, 10:36pm

Post #9 of 15 (296 views)
Shortcut
It think he's probably talking about [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwah-lin and Bah-lin, as opposed to Dway-lin and Bay-lin, which is how I pronounced them (incorrectly) in my head until the first trailer.

Pousette
Rivendell

Dec 10 2012, 11:11pm

Post #10 of 15 (275 views)
Shortcut
Since most of the names are borrowed from the Edda... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'd say almost every name is probably more or less "mispronounced".

It's really only a matter of how hard you are with the "rules". And, if you look through Tolkien's notes on pronounciation, Gandalf should be pronounced Gandalv. Which would probably sound silly to most of us.

I'm gonna be a bit meddlesome, and say if I'd try to pronounce them "correctly" (based upon my Swedish and rather limited knowledge of other Scandinavic languages and Old Norse) I'd say:

Thórin (pretty much as it's pronounced everywhere)
Baalinn (not the american version "Baylin")
Dwaalinn (or possibly even Dvaalin)
Feelee (emphasis on the first I)
Keelee (same)
Dó-ri (to get the "Do" from, for example, "Dovahkiin")
Nó-ri (same)
Ó-ri (same)
Ó-in (A bit of Eeyore-touch on that one)
Gló-in (same)
Beefúrr (And not Biff-urr)
Bófúrr (Not Bowfur)
Bómmbúrr (pretty much as they pronounce it, but with rolling r:s and heavier u-sound - just as with his brother and cousin)

I feel so annoying right now. But I've been thinking a lot on this, and it feels really good to just get it out. I may be so wrong on this. Just a guess as good as any, I hope =)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2012, 11:19pm

Post #11 of 15 (264 views)
Shortcut
Aren't they saying [In reply to] Can't Post

Fill-ee and Kill-ee in AUJ, though?

Finrod
Rohan

Dec 10 2012, 11:33pm

Post #12 of 15 (247 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf pronunciation is not Elvish [In reply to] Can't Post

The rules for pronouncing the Eddaic names are quite different from those for pronouncing Elvish names.

But didn’t Tolkien himself voice the final consonant in Gandalf, making it come out with a v sound? Sounds like it to me on the recordings.

Without using IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) spellings, it is next to impossible to tell what people mean. But those are really tough to enter here, requiring a lot of mouse pasting.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

alienorchid
Lorien

Dec 11 2012, 1:42am

Post #13 of 15 (193 views)
Shortcut
I love the IPA [In reply to] Can't Post

and I think everyone should learn it! I'm a bit rusty but it wouldn't take me long to remember it all, though.

Pousette
Rivendell

Dec 11 2012, 6:59am

Post #14 of 15 (133 views)
Shortcut
Something like that, yeah... / [In reply to] Can't Post

Pousette
Rivendell

Dec 11 2012, 7:02am

Post #15 of 15 (179 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's kind of what I meant :) [In reply to] Can't Post

And yeah, I had a really hard time trying to "phoneticise" the words the best way possible, especially with not having english as my native tongue!

Maybe he says Gandalv. Haven't thought about it. No one else seems to, though. (I don't, either...)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.