Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Main Poster

MovieBuff

Dec 10 2012, 11:29am

Post #1 of 7 (309 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Main Poster Can't Post

Does anyone know if a poster will be released in the style of The Lord of the Rings posters?

LordotRings93
Rohan

Dec 10 2012, 4:02pm

Post #2 of 7 (136 views)
Shortcut
Also wondering this [In reply to] Can't Post

There doesn't seem to be a legit "official" poster. I thought the Japanese one released a week or two ago would be the official, but we've seen nothing of it at premieres. I think the "main" poster is Bilbo with Sting, which I think will be the poster my theater uses for the film. I hope they don't consider the dwarf group poster official. I always found that one to be too childish (even for TH's standards) and too reminiscent of a Disney comedy ala Muppets. I believe for the DVD release we'll get a different kind of poster, one that is similar to LOTR.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

(This post was edited by LordotRings93 on Dec 10 2012, 4:03pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 10 2012, 4:18pm

Post #3 of 7 (121 views)
Shortcut
What does 'official' mean? [In reply to] Can't Post

There are two reasons to make posters.

ONE - to advertise movies - you will most likely find these in movie theater lobbies or outside the theater doors. In select locations (like Times Square?) there may be other display options but most will be used in movie theaters. So, what you see in the theaters and outside the doors will be 'official'.

additionally, the web is used to promote films these days so there may now be 'digital posters' that serve the same function as the movie theater posters. If they came WB, they're official.

TWO - to sell to fans as merchandise - perhaps the more appropriate term here is 'licensed' meaning the company selling the poster has obtained it through official channels from an official entity associated with the film... or the company printing the poster has purchased rights to create and/or print the poster from an official entity associated with the film.

So, if you are dealing with a reputable company selling a poster, it's likely officially licensed. Surely, all of these posters are 'official':
http://www.wbshop.com/...y/posters.do?nType=2

There were multiple posters for all three LOTR movies and they were all official.

To answer the original question in this thread, one would need to know 'which' official LOTR poster are we trying to match with a similar Hobbit poster.

But, regardless of which LOTR poster one likes, I think what we have to chose from is what's at the end of that link above.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

LordotRings93
Rohan

Dec 10 2012, 4:29pm

Post #4 of 7 (129 views)
Shortcut
Official [In reply to] Can't Post

As in, the MAIN poster used on the DVD releases (TE) and put up in theaters and whatnot. The Hobbit doesn't seem to have that one poster that is used for advertising. We've just seen multiple character posters and the Bilbo with Sting poster, which I think is the "main" poster.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 10 2012, 4:54pm

Post #5 of 7 (123 views)
Shortcut
But LOTR didn't have one poster either. Neither did the later Harry Potter movies [In reply to] Can't Post

Neither does Les Mis.

Lots of movies don't have a main poster.

If you're talking DVD release covers, that's a different matter. Those aren't posters and if you want to qualify that as the main poster in your head, you can. But that's not the 'main' poster.

Even then, do you determine that the FOTR TE cover or the FOTR SE cover is the 'main' poster for FOTR?

I'm still kind of confused. The OP wants a Hobbit poster that looks like the LOTR posters but I don't know which LOTR posters.

You're using the terms official and main interchangeably when they don't mean the same thing. You think Bilbo with Sting is the main poster but you don't think that's considered the 'legit' official poster?

Are you each looking for someone to say poster X is the one, true, official, legit, main poster? If so, I don't think you're going to get that. Are you looking to buy a poster and you are seeking a certain style? If so, I think you're choices are what you find. The posters for II and III are yet to be seen but I don't think we're going to see new ones for I. But I could be wrong.

But if you're just idly wondering then... have at it. :-) Your questions don't need answering and all my confusion doesn't matter.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

LordotRings93
Rohan

Dec 10 2012, 7:15pm

Post #6 of 7 (116 views)
Shortcut
DVD covers [In reply to] Can't Post

The DVD covers were essentially the official posters for each film. I saw them in most stores and they were used at my movie theater, and also the bigger cinema a few hours away from me. They were also used on multiple sites, like IMDb and IGN have the three posters (FOTR: Frodo center, other characters around him, TTT: main characters' heads with the Two Towers on the side, ROTK: Aragorn at top, with other characters throughout). Those are basically the "official" posters for each respective film, and I think the OP wanted something just like that, that's basically a collage of scenes/characters from the film. We haven't gotten anything like that. We got something close to that with the Japanese poster released a few weeks ago, but the rest have been individual character posters (which MOST movies get), the dwarf group poster, and Bilbo with Sting. There was also the teaser poster of Bilbo stepping outside Bag End. But for every movie there's usually that "final" poster (again, the three LOTR posters described above). I don't count the character posters, since they are mainly marketing leading up to the film.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 11 2012, 12:10am

Post #7 of 7 (167 views)
Shortcut
I'll bet there's more than one per film :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are links to some they've already circulated the most or are collage pics.

Bilbo handed out as promo at December 8, 2012 Lord of the Rings Marathon.

Gandalf on the road widely circulated.

Unexpected Journey Collage pic

White Council Collage pic

Dwarves Collage pic.

Heroes and Villans Collage pic.

Teaser Poster.

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.