Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TH: Clothes, comforts, snacks?

alienorchid
Lorien

Dec 10 2012, 8:54am

Post #1 of 15 (408 views)
Shortcut
TH: Clothes, comforts, snacks? Can't Post

Do you have an outfit planned? Cosplay? or just the most comfortable thing in your closet?

I'm trying to decide what to wear, and I'm torn between a nice outfit, and trackpants/PJs. I'll definitely be bringing my woolen shawl in case the theatre is cold, and quiet snacks :)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 10 2012, 10:37am

Post #2 of 15 (237 views)
Shortcut
It's great that your doing "quiet" snacks. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's one of my pet peeves about going to the movies. The concessions sell loud packaging, like cellophane and such. Drives me crazy! ;)

I always cut way back on fluids 4-5 hours before going to the flicks so I don't have so many potty breaks. I've got a spot in each of the LotR films that I don't mind missing for that mad-dash down the hall when nature calls ;)

I always wear layers of the most comfy clothes I have and a small lap blanket in case it's cold. But I do wear something significant to LotR and now TH viewings... like a TORn t-shirt, koru (bone necklace), etc.

I do sneak in small treats to sustain me. I can't afford concession stand goodies, although I do have my Gandalf popcorn bucket that has free refills. That was my meal for the day during my LotR marathon last Saturday :) I might toss a few Tootsie Rolls, small Snickers/Almond Joys candy bars for some sugar, and some wake-up power drinks in those little tiny bottles. That stuff that keeps you awake. I only drink a few sips to half of that if my eyes get heavy and mind takes to wandering.

I also got an inexpensive wristwatch a couple of months ago that lights up when I push the button so I can see what time it is. I admit I won't be using that very much during the first couple of viewings ;)

Have fun and be comfy!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Frodo_of_the_Wall
The Shire

Dec 10 2012, 11:50am

Post #3 of 15 (262 views)
Shortcut
Lembas bread and seed cake! [In reply to] Can't Post

In less that 48 hours I will have finished watching an Unexpected Journey for the first time.Cool
For that my niece and I have made lembas bread, wrapped in leaves with little greeting messages we will hand out to other movie goers in costume (South Africa here - not likely to be too many dressed up.) I'm going as a hobbit, my eldest niece as Fili (her hair is exactly like his!), her little sister and my sister-in-law are going as elves. We will also be taking in some seed cake to nibble on. For our second, third and fourth viewings (yep, they are already booked) we had t-shirts printed - just saying The Hobbit and with a dragon.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 10 2012, 2:26pm

Post #4 of 15 (230 views)
Shortcut
No costume for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to the Midnight screening and I have to work and attend school that day. So I'll be off from 10PM, dashing over to a friend for some tea and than back into town to the cinema.
Maybe I'll wear my "I Heart Hot Dwarves" shirt, since it gained so much attention during the premiere. I can hide it while at work (or maybe not, they already think I'm crazy anyway Wink).
And I'm not sure I'll be up for snacks anymore at that time. Maybe some energy drink or a coke, to stay awake.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Dec 10 2012, 5:14pm

Post #5 of 15 (225 views)
Shortcut
I have a feeling... [In reply to] Can't Post

that they'd take one look at me, and bar the door! ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

And back again
Rivendell

Dec 10 2012, 6:48pm

Post #6 of 15 (205 views)
Shortcut
That's why I like [In reply to] Can't Post

the half an hour of advertising and previews of other films before the main film starts.

Because I find that after half an hour, most people have ploughed through their popcorn and tacitos. Hurray!

I just turn up in my usual stuff and don't eat or drink at all. It's only three hours. I manage that when I'm working.

I will go there ... and back again.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2012, 9:00pm

Post #7 of 15 (189 views)
Shortcut
Lady Dwarfhelm, you rock!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 10 2012, 9:42pm

Post #8 of 15 (224 views)
Shortcut
My outfit lol [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got a shirt with the mountain portion of the map on it that i'm wearing Thursday at midnight, I'm going to wear my Hobbit movie poster that Saturday, and then an all black with a red Smaug on it for the third viewing.

alienorchid
Lorien

Dec 10 2012, 10:13pm

Post #9 of 15 (177 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Colour me impressed! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is absolutely fantastic!

alienorchid
Lorien

Dec 10 2012, 10:20pm

Post #10 of 15 (181 views)
Shortcut
I always buy my snacks from the supermarket [In reply to] Can't Post

because there's more variety and it's waaay cheaper! I transfer the snacks from the noisy plastic bag into a little re-usable lunch bag which doesn't rustle as much.

I will have to drink lots of fluids this afternoon because I'm going swimming, so hopefully that doesn't interrupt my comfortable viewing tonight! I got seats right at the back and pretty central, so there won't be any bathroom breaks for me!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 10 2012, 10:28pm

Post #11 of 15 (194 views)
Shortcut
What bugs me [In reply to] Can't Post

is when people buy takeaways and smuggle them it - the smell permeates everywhere.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 11 2012, 12:17am

Post #12 of 15 (162 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

Smell doesn't travel... just like the rustling packaging doesn't make noise! ;)

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Dec 11 2012, 1:25am

Post #13 of 15 (162 views)
Shortcut
No snacks for me [In reply to] Can't Post

but I will probably wear a pair of jeans, this new black vest I bought, and either a plain shirt, my union jack shirt, or if I can find a Hobbit shirt, I'll wear that.

Rolfina
Rivendell

Dec 11 2012, 1:43pm

Post #14 of 15 (163 views)
Shortcut
I've completely cut up my XXL Thorin Oakenshield T-shirt... [In reply to] Can't Post

and have yesterday finished transforming it into a girl slim fit, so I'll be wearing that, of course. I once bought a small bowl of M&Ms at the theatre, which were a whopping 4,50‚ā¨. I kept the bowl and now use it to smuggle in store-bought M&Ms (1,79). Angelic I'll try to do without drinks. Nothing worse than having to go pee during a movie.

HeatherEntwood
The Shire

Dec 13 2012, 5:49pm

Post #15 of 15 (269 views)
Shortcut
Historic Theatres V.S. Megaplexes [In reply to] Can't Post

I usually take a jacket to save my seat as well as for protection against overly-air conditioned amphitheaters. Normally I do smuggle in my fave snacks that those megaplexes usually don't stock (& even if they did stock them I feel no need to make them any richer than they already are). But when I patronize my local '20's Art Deco movie palace I make a point to at least buy their popcorn because these classy venues make most of their $ on their concessions, & I'd rather give my $ to them than those nasty souless megaplexes.

I try to sit in as far back a row as I can and as close to a center row isle as possible. That way when nature calls I don't have to trod on too many feet. But I plan to not drink my ice cold soda until well into the last hour of the movie to avoid having to make a break for the bathroom.

(This post was edited by HeatherEntwood on Dec 13 2012, 5:54pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.