Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did anyone at the marathon yesterday notice...?

cardslash02

Dec 9 2012, 8:53pm

Post #1 of 16 (916 views)
Shortcut
Did anyone at the marathon yesterday notice...? Can't Post

I don't know if this "mistake" is in the Bluray extended editions as well or not.

But when I was watching the three films in the theater yesterday, there were two short spots where I could see that the special effects were completely off.
In fact it wasn't even a special effect, more like a green screen error or something. When a character was in front of a background but the character and the background didn't have the same level of focus and/or were moving at different rates.

It looked so obviously wrong as to jar me out of the watching experience and to look around the theater to see if others noticed.

One was at the beginning of ROTK when there's a shot of Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, and Gandalf riding horses through the wood.
The second was near the end of the movie when Frodo runs into the entrance of Mt. Doom.

If these mistakes are on the Bluray too, then you guys have probably known about them for a while. But for me, it was my first time seeing them and I was quite shocked that they would have made the final cut into the movies. Perhaps its a result of the high resolution mastering and there was no way to fix it.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Carne
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 8:57pm

Post #2 of 16 (394 views)
Shortcut
I've noticed one of those [In reply to] Can't Post

Not the first you mentioned, but the one with Frodo, yes.

It looks as if he's floating across the ground.

(This post was edited by Carne on Dec 9 2012, 8:57pm)

sevilodorf
Gondor

Dec 10 2012, 2:13am

Post #3 of 16 (380 views)
Shortcut
the frodo bit was in the "old" version [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have bluray and I noticed that bit with Frodo floating atop the background.

What really makes me twitch is that I really notice the hobbit doubles ... sometimes they just don't work well.... Fellowship -- Gandalf telling Frodo and Sam goodbye in the woods before riding off on his horse.... and ROTK when Faramir is brought on the stretcher to the White Tree's courtyard.... Pippin's double is so blatant there...

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

HRHMortimer

Dec 10 2012, 2:38pm

Post #4 of 16 (313 views)
Shortcut
Yup! [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally forgot about that! I thought I saw something odd but I had been out the evening before so I figured I was just tired. So, yes, I did see the glitches.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 10 2012, 3:51pm

Post #5 of 16 (315 views)
Shortcut
1 thing that stood out..at Balin's Tomb [In reply to] Can't Post

The skeleton that inscribed in the book..
".. they are coming.."

Looked exactly like
ORI..

BOMBY burst into tears..

Durhil
The Shire

Dec 11 2012, 10:14am

Post #6 of 16 (282 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

there is a good scene were you can clearly see it.

In FOTR where Frodo was wounded on the Weathertop and Arwen rides with him to Rivendell and Nazguls on their tail, you can clearly see on the close ups that the background an Arwen are out of focused.

or

in the mines or moria, where the fellowship (Aragon and Frodo) jumping from the damaged stairway, right before where they are encountering the balrog.

There are also some scenes in FOTR, where the eye contact of the hobbits and Gandalf doesn't match up.

(This post was edited by Durhil on Dec 11 2012, 10:15am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 11 2012, 11:30am

Post #7 of 16 (337 views)
Shortcut
The worse one for me is at the the end of TTT [In reply to] Can't Post

Where it clearly isn't Eomer on the horse next to Gandalf ("The battle for Helm's Deep is over..." bit).

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 11 2012, 3:09pm

Post #8 of 16 (276 views)
Shortcut
It's atrocious [In reply to] Can't Post

I cannot look at that anymore. It's so distracting.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 11 2012, 4:07pm

Post #9 of 16 (246 views)
Shortcut
I like the look of the guys face [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks like he's thinking: "can we really pull this off?"

Cool

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 11 2012, 5:01pm

Post #10 of 16 (241 views)
Shortcut
Well they didn't! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ugh...the films are ruined! Wink

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 11 2012, 5:09pm

Post #11 of 16 (237 views)
Shortcut
I think I missed your sarcasm in your first reply [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush

Oops.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 11 2012, 5:13pm

Post #12 of 16 (275 views)
Shortcut
No, you didn't [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

I really do find it distracting and annoying to look at, but it doesn't ruin the films. It just reminds me that they are films. There's a similar instance with Arwen and her riding double during FOTR. In a quick shot of her riding, you can clearly see the lady's face and it's obviously not Liv. Annoying, but not a huge deal.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 11 2012, 8:27pm

Post #13 of 16 (228 views)
Shortcut
I imagine [In reply to] Can't Post

the special effects guy for that scene sitting down in a cinema to watch The Two Towers, then sees the faux-Eomer and thinks, "Damn, I knew there was something I had forgotten!"

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 11 2012, 9:42pm

Post #14 of 16 (262 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

It took me SEVERAL viewings to notice that but now that I know about it I look for it everytime. lol

Lausus
Bree

Dec 13 2012, 4:02am

Post #15 of 16 (374 views)
Shortcut
Fourth Marshal of the Riddermark [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember them commenting on that stand-in during the Extended Edition Commentaries. He was supposed to be replaced with Karl Urban, but they forgot, so PJ just dubbed him the Fourth Marshal of the Riddermark or something like that.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Dec 14 2012, 1:51am

Post #16 of 16 (460 views)
Shortcut
In that same scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf clearly has his feet in stirrups, even though he supposedly doesn't use a saddle or bridle in riding Shadowfax. Ian wasn't much of a horseman and needed a riding double, but for such a close shot, he clearly had to be riding the horse himself. Bugs me every time.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.