Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Anyone else feeling melancholic the wait for AUJ is over?

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 7:18pm

Views: 632
Shortcut
Anyone else feeling melancholic the wait for AUJ is over? Can't Post

Okay, so more and more people have seen AUJ already (including some of the ToRN staff), and many more of us will be seeing it this week. As the release for the first installment of TH draws almost to an end, I can't help but feel a mixture of emotion - a couple weeks ago, I though that the wait as scores of people who weren't me got to see the movie might drive me to the point of an insane break resulting in something rather most unfortunate indeed, say, like a brisk bus ride bollocks naked. However, it suddenly hit me a few days ago...after such an incredible roller-coaster ride, after such a seemingly interminable wait...it's over.

Granted, there are two more movies coming, but by the end of the week, we'll have seen the first third of PJ's new trilogy. We'll see how he handles the characters, the narrative, the world, whether it measures up to the film we each wanted or expected, and of course, how it stands as a film on its own merits; but no matter what, we'll be locked into the actual trilogy itself and not the version we longed/hoped/dreamed for. Not only is the potential, the anticipation, the film which plays out in one's head inevitably always better than the final result, but it's just strange that after ALL that...the analysis, the discussion, the discourse, the speculation...it's JUST a movie. We're going to (or already have) trundle into a move theater, deal with lines and obnoxious patrons and outrageous prices, sit there for two-and-a-half hours, then go home and go on with our lives. Just like any movie, it's not a paradigm-shifting event, which granted realistically we all knew it wasn't going to be...but I don't know, after all the work put into the production, after all the hours over the years spent here...a 2.5 hour movie seems anti-climatic. I had much lower expectations for FotR (not trusting a director of low-budget B-splatter fare to effectively adapt Tolkien, whereas I've been insanely excited for TH since it was officially announced in December of 2007, so that probably has something to do with it...however, I was equally excited for TTT and RotK, and those did not disappoint).

Finally, it really drives home that after the final film, we won't have new PJ Middle-earth films to look forward to, as we have since 2007(actually, I believe stirring of an adaptation began early in 2006?)...and even earlier, as the hope was always there given there was another novel waiting to be adapted: what Tolkien fan wouldn't want to see TH realized on the big-screen? The wait has been for decades, in point of fact. After TH...that's it. It's just depressing...unless, of course, we're back here in December of 2022 counting down the hours until "The War in the North" or "The Last Alliance" or "The New Shadow" (hey, don't think PJ couldn't adapt 12 pages of an abandoned book into a 12-hour third trilogy)! That would be nice. Cool

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Dec 9 2012, 7:21pm)

Subject User Time
Anyone else feeling melancholic the wait for AUJ is over? Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Dec 9 2012, 7:18pm
    I probably won't feel that way until I've watched the last EE and all of the making-of vids Tim Send a private message to Tim Dec 9 2012, 8:32pm
    Anticlimactic? JWPlatt Dec 9 2012, 9:23pm
    I thought I'd be climbing the walls right now Rohirrim Rider Send a private message to Rohirrim Rider Dec 9 2012, 9:41pm
        Agreed with this for a long time, though it's steadily seemed more and more of a reality to me since the Nov. 28th premiere. // Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Dec 9 2012, 9:58pm
            move to Australia titanium_hobbit Send a private message to titanium_hobbit Dec 9 2012, 10:11pm
                Well, you can't fault PJ to taking a bit of revenge Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Dec 10 2012, 1:39am
                    Earth Politics aside.. Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Dec 10 2012, 3:58am
                        I was kidding. Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Dec 10 2012, 5:54pm
        Well said... Rolfina Send a private message to Rolfina Dec 11 2012, 1:53pm
    Well. put it this way..... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Dec 9 2012, 10:47pm
    Not yet! painjoiker Send a private message to painjoiker Dec 9 2012, 10:58pm
    Not really Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Dec 10 2012, 1:01am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.