Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit Extended Edition Confirmed! Spoilers!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 5:46pm

Post #1 of 50 (2186 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit Extended Edition Confirmed! Spoilers! Can't Post

Extra 20 to 25 minutes will be added to the dvd of AUJ!

Narsil, Bilbo at the market and much more.

http://www.hypable.com/2012/12/08/hobbit-unexpected-journey-extended-edition-run-time/

As an aside, i am really disappointed that market scene didnt make the final cut. I wanted to see it in the theatre sooo much.Unsure

(Subject line edited to indicate spoilers inside)

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 9 2012, 5:54pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 9 2012, 5:50pm

Post #2 of 50 (917 views)
Shortcut
two thumbs up [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson knows how to expand Middle-earth the right way and so I'm glad to have a chance to spend more minutes when it comes out.

Azaghâl
Lorien

Dec 9 2012, 6:00pm

Post #3 of 50 (892 views)
Shortcut
Oh my glob! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is great news!

Though critics would probably rate it rather poorly, cause of the long run time and extra padding! Laugh But I wont give a flying Figwit about it!!!

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 6:03pm

Post #4 of 50 (875 views)
Shortcut
I am quite curious [In reply to] Can't Post

as to the content of this extended edition....

What else could it be? Bilbos and Elrond scene at a Rivendell terrace. More dwarven backstory. More singing...

Great Goblin pooping down the throne? Unimpressed

PS Thanks Altaira for the spoiler tag Smile

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Dec 9 2012, 6:04pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 9 2012, 6:23pm

Post #5 of 50 (815 views)
Shortcut
I love my EEs! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd want even more put back in. Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 6:26pm

Post #6 of 50 (791 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

i revere them with an intensity and a love...Heart

Asy
The Shire

Dec 9 2012, 6:34pm

Post #7 of 50 (778 views)
Shortcut
The more Middle Earth the better! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bring on them extended editions Wink

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

lidlessEye
Rivendell

Dec 9 2012, 7:05pm

Post #8 of 50 (735 views)
Shortcut
yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

just cut scenes out to have material for an EE.
scenes with whom this film was promoted the last 2 months (i'm not talking about the scenes from the teaser a year ago - i'm talking about the trailer from september).
you're looking forward for two months for a few scenes (gandalf in the crypts, bolg in dol guldur) - yeah instead we get silly goblins swinging through their caverns.

if you read this PJ - i've so lost interest in your damn action-movie - i'll watch it once...but thats it, until the EE will come out...

TheHutt
Gondor

Dec 9 2012, 7:14pm

Post #9 of 50 (774 views)
Shortcut
Finally confirmed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Russian LotR/Hobbit Site:

Henneth-annun.ru - the Russian LOTR site

Asy
The Shire

Dec 9 2012, 7:15pm

Post #10 of 50 (719 views)
Shortcut
You may have to wait a while [In reply to] Can't Post

Last time i heard, the EE might be coming out late 2013 Frown it'll be worth the wait though Smile

lidlessEye
Rivendell

Dec 9 2012, 7:16pm

Post #11 of 50 (696 views)
Shortcut
i was expecting this... [In reply to] Can't Post

the EE for LotR all came out in late november

pulpfiction16
Rivendell

Dec 9 2012, 7:18pm

Post #12 of 50 (703 views)
Shortcut
That's about the biggest empty threat.. [In reply to] Can't Post

"You've upset me, but I'll still see it once in theatres and buy the extended edition!"

Speak with your wallet, if that's how you feel, it's the only way it'll get any attention.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 9 2012, 7:19pm

Post #13 of 50 (694 views)
Shortcut
The release of the TE will tide us over until then. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Erudryt
The Shire

Dec 9 2012, 7:19pm

Post #14 of 50 (688 views)
Shortcut
Great news ! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm happy to hear that there will be an extended edition for The Hobbit !

Asy
The Shire

Dec 9 2012, 7:21pm

Post #15 of 50 (712 views)
Shortcut
Oooh just like FOTR EE! [In reply to] Can't Post

Only, I read somewhere that it was going to be gold (which i quite liked the sound of). Oh well! This looks fine Smile

Asy
The Shire

Dec 9 2012, 7:31pm

Post #16 of 50 (662 views)
Shortcut
True... [In reply to] Can't Post

but then, I don't know if to buy the Theatrical Edition when it comes out or to just wait for the Extended Edition!

Ah, first world problems right here! Wink

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 9 2012, 7:40pm

Post #17 of 50 (656 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure that's fan made// [In reply to] Can't Post

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Asy
The Shire

Dec 9 2012, 7:47pm

Post #18 of 50 (635 views)
Shortcut
Hmm probably! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm certain that it's supposed to be gold and not green. Hmm, soon see! (and by soon, i mean in a years time but oh well Wink )

Elutherian
Rohan

Dec 9 2012, 8:05pm

Post #19 of 50 (630 views)
Shortcut
This is fake... [In reply to] Can't Post

It will likely be golden.

I really hope either DOS or TABA EE's are purple.

It's my favorite color. Cool

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Dec 9 2012, 8:10pm

Post #20 of 50 (617 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I do love the extended editions (only version of LOTR that I own) but aren't these movies already an extended edition? Three films out of one book seems pretty expanded and fleshed out to me. I hate to sound like a naysayer and I really am looking forward to the movies. But the more massive this project becomes, the more I worry that Peter Jackson is becoming too self-indulgent as a filmmaker. His movies just seem to get longer and longer. Anyone else feel the same way?

Azaghâl
Lorien

Dec 9 2012, 8:17pm

Post #21 of 50 (584 views)
Shortcut
Uhm no.. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit is his shortest middle-earth movie yet.

And as a side note, I never bought that whole: "It's only one short book, how can it possibly be turned into 3 movies"-nonsense.
The Hobbit, and the story build around it, can easily stand up to the LotR trillogy in terms of events going on. The only downside is that they need to come up with alot of their own dialogue.

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

pulpfiction16
Rivendell

Dec 9 2012, 8:20pm

Post #22 of 50 (573 views)
Shortcut
I can agree [In reply to] Can't Post

King Kong was definitely on the long side. I loved it in theatres, but the really slow pacing and long length of what is an adaptation of an extremely brisk movie kind of prevents me from rewatching it. The boat scenes last unnecessarily long.

And also, if I recall correctly, Return of the King was really the only Lord of the Ring to get called out on needing a good edit (the classic "multiple endings"), so perhaps that's the problem affecting AUJ, that it's developed from this sloppy editing mindset. FOTR is pretty streamlined, all considered what needed to be told (and as one review said, if FOTR was made in the same method the Hobbit trilogy was, Tom Bombadil et al would have been in it).

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 8:21pm

Post #23 of 50 (604 views)
Shortcut
Overindulgent [In reply to] Can't Post

I personally love the FotR Extended Editions (even RotK). But King Kong was about an hour too long in it's theatrical edition, and he then went on to do an extended version of that! But King Kong is really the only time i think he overindulged (never saw The Lovely Bones though). So i'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. And remember, AUJ is 20 minutes shorter that FotR was when it came out, so even with the reported 20-25 minutes of extra scenes in it's EE, it will still be the shortest of the 6 films (i'm guessing DoS and TaBA will both be longer). So i for one am not worried-- quite the opposite, actually.

Elutherian
Rohan

Dec 9 2012, 8:59pm

Post #24 of 50 (527 views)
Shortcut
I must be the only peson left living who loves long movies... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Oh well. At least I can count on one director to keep making epic films the way they were back in the day.

Everything else will be catered to the attention deficit crowd.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

pulpfiction16
Rivendell

Dec 9 2012, 9:25pm

Post #25 of 50 (491 views)
Shortcut
No... [In reply to] Can't Post

People don't hate long films. People dislike unnecessarily long films. Films can be long and exciting or long and boring, it's possible. It's a bit insulting to those reviewers who just feel that AUJ has been stretched too thin over too long a running length just don't like long films.

I enjoy long films too, I love the EE's, and I'll hopefully want to see the EE for AUJ. But if it's dull, it's going to be a problem. Keep in mind movies recently seem to be getting LONGER rather than shorter. Deathly Hallows Part 1 was 2h 20 minus roughly, Avengers was 2h 20, The Dark Knight Rises 2 h 40.

It's getting harder to find any films below 120 minutes (keeping in mind a feature is considered higher than 40 minutes).

I just find it dismissive to think people don't like long movies, it's that people like long GOOD movies. In fact, I love any movie that is good, regardless of short or long form.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.