Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
LOTR Marathon Missing Introduction

HRHMortimer

Dec 9 2012, 4:46pm

Post #1 of 16 (698 views)
Shortcut
LOTR Marathon Missing Introduction Can't Post

I attended the marathon here in my area and we didn't get the special introduction by Sir Peter Jackson as promised in the promotional materials. One of the theatre workers explained that the company that distributes the films sent the intros too late (the day of the marathon) and the time it would take to download them would take too long for them to have them prepared to show. Did anyone else have the same problem in their market?

Chopsta123
Gondor

Dec 9 2012, 5:51pm

Post #2 of 16 (221 views)
Shortcut
which promotional materials? [In reply to] Can't Post

where was this advertised?

HRHMortimer

Dec 9 2012, 5:54pm

Post #3 of 16 (246 views)
Shortcut
Advertisement [In reply to] Can't Post

Right here on theonering.net

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/11/04/64525-regal-cinemas-to-host-a-lord-of-the-rings-marathon-across-the-u-s-on-december-8th/

brokenmandible

Dec 9 2012, 7:54pm

Post #4 of 16 (224 views)
Shortcut
The same in Denver [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes. Frown Ours was the same according to the thater manager. They arrive and are played off of hard drives and the drive didn't arrive for Saturday UPS. I wanted to give them more of a hard time about it, but they gave me the poster that was in the lobby for the marathon.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 10 2012, 6:16am

Post #5 of 16 (276 views)
Shortcut
Wow, so you got something more permanent than digital bits :) [In reply to] Can't Post

By the way, welcome to TORn Smile

AlatarielNoldo
Bree

Dec 10 2012, 1:16pm

Post #6 of 16 (176 views)
Shortcut
Intro was missing at my theater as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I never bothered to ask management about it though. I was already complaining about other things - namely the woman 4 seats over from me texting throughout FOTR and the poor sound quality, which they got fixed for ROTK (they didn't have the surround on!).

I'm hoping that the intro will be posted online sometime this week, maybe by Jackson himself, for those that did not get to see it.

But in Lindon Gil-Galad still maintained his power, and Sauron dared not as yet to pass the Mountains of Ered Luin nor to assail the Havens.

[The Silmarillion: Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age]

HRHMortimer

Dec 10 2012, 2:34pm

Post #7 of 16 (146 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, I've been trolling the site for years, finally decided to join.

HRHMortimer

Dec 10 2012, 2:36pm

Post #8 of 16 (143 views)
Shortcut
Getting this done [In reply to] Can't Post

My next question would be, where do we complain about this? The theatre chain? The film company? Sir Jackson? I would like to see the intros, it was part of the package advertised for the event.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 10 2012, 3:01pm

Post #9 of 16 (159 views)
Shortcut
well... I always try to find an approach other than complain for the first step :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes, all it takes is asking.

Perhaps you (and other people) expressing your disappointment on Jackson's facebook page would gather some attention.

I try to include four things when I do this sort of thing:

One: a pleasant start - I loved XXX...

Two: an expression of disappointment or concern - but I was sorry to find that XXX...

Three: a clear statement of what I'm asking or hoping for - is it possible that XXX...

Four: thanks - thanks for considering it / looking into it...

What you want to convey is
That you are a person that consumes someone's product.
That you weren't/aren't happy and that's impinging on your desire to continue consuming their product.
That you can be made happy if ____ is done.

That gives them incentive to please you and gives them hope that they can and it's worth their effort to try. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

HRHMortimer

Dec 10 2012, 3:10pm

Post #10 of 16 (150 views)
Shortcut
Psychology works! [In reply to] Can't Post

When I said "complain" I didn't mean it that literally, lol. Your well-thought-out answer is both psychologically sound and adult, which is the road I usually travel. I'll take your advice and start posting away! Thank you.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 10 2012, 3:32pm

Post #11 of 16 (143 views)
Shortcut
good to hear :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a substantial contingency around that seems to feel that loud and vocal complaining is the only way to get action. I occasionally try to steer thought (in general) away from that mindset.

I think I've worked out this more 'adult' way by having to deal with my hot temper. lol. And, when pushed too far (as in, the nice, reasonable approach hasn't worked - or the offense has hit me very wrong), I have been known to stand in the front of the store and chew out a manager. But overall, it keeps me more sane and happy to at least hope someone will listen if I talk nicely. And I know that, at the person at the other end of my complaint is likely just a schmo like me... trying to make a living doing a job.

It sounds like this issue may be widespread. I hope your speaking up provides some results.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Dec 10 2012, 8:47pm

Post #12 of 16 (124 views)
Shortcut
The fact that it happened in more than one theater [In reply to] Can't Post

suggests that the theaters are not to blame. Digital copies of movies have to be "ingested" into the digital projector, which can be a complicated process involving "keys" (elaborate passwords) and so on.

It is most likely that the distributor, that is, Warner Bros., is to blame for not shipping the hard drives with the intro early enough to reach theaters. That said, it's rather mysterious why they would do so, since this is the core activity of their business. It might be that Peter did not get the intro recorded soon enough for the copies to be shipped out. Which is not like him, but it's possible.

In short, your local exhibitor probably is very upset about not having the intro and doesn't deserve to get complaints. It happened somewhere up the line.

HRHMortimer

Dec 10 2012, 9:08pm

Post #13 of 16 (154 views)
Shortcut
Regal Cinema [In reply to] Can't Post

Our local theatre manager explained the situation and I didn't fault him for the problem, I guess a letter to the distribution company is in order.

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 10 2012, 9:48pm

Post #14 of 16 (223 views)
Shortcut
Didn't see it either [In reply to] Can't Post

We didn't have it either at the AMC I was at. Not that it was a big deal but I would have liked to see it, TORn commercial, and Weta commercial.

RangerLady23
Lorien

Dec 15 2012, 7:59pm

Post #15 of 16 (104 views)
Shortcut
MISSING INTRODUCTIONS [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep same here in Grand Junction Colorado.
No introduction and doesn't that just stink a little?

HRHMortimer

Dec 17 2012, 12:13pm

Post #16 of 16 (368 views)
Shortcut
Stench! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it certainly does!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.