First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Morthoron
Gondor

Dec 9 2012, 4:03pm

Post #26 of 35 (199 views)
Shortcut
Very true... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Telling us where he went and why has high potential for enriching the story. To each their own.

Conversely, the same set of circumstances has a very high potential of bogging down the original story and drowning the main character in a sea of extraneous characters and subplots. Invariably, it is an opinion, and one that is just as viable as the reverse.

And it is in various opinions that make forums such as this such an interesting place for discussions, don't you think? What a bland place this would be if everyone nodded blankly and rubber-stamped every slapdash decision Peter Jackson made regarding Tolkien's work.

But as I said in an earlier post, I will take my daughter to see the movie. If it sucks, we'll have fun poking holes in it. If I enjoy it, I will certainly admit that my misgivings were wrong. Either way, it should prove interesting.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 9 2012, 4:16pm

Post #27 of 35 (190 views)
Shortcut
Well it's super to hear from someone [In reply to] Can't Post

Going to see it with such an open mind. I can't wait to see which way it goes.

LR

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 4:47pm

Post #28 of 35 (192 views)
Shortcut
What a bland place this would be if everyone nodded blankly and rubber-stamped every slapdash decision Peter Jackson made regarding Tolkien's wor [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed.

And what a bland place this would be if almost everyone here hated PJ's versions.

TORN is a lively, vivid, dynamic, debating, filled with very different , opposing opinions and very updated tolkien fan forum. Unlike others.

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Dec 9 2012, 4:48pm)

Morthoron
Gondor

Dec 9 2012, 5:12pm

Post #29 of 35 (186 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Agreed.

And what a bland place this would be if almost everyone here hated PJ's versions.

Yes, one would assume that the opposite would be true also, but thanks for posting it so that we don't forget.

In Reply To
TORN is a lively, vivid, dynamic, debating, filled with very different , opposing opinions and very updated tolkien fan forum. Unlike others.

Unlike others? Other Tolkien sites? Which precisely? I belong to several.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 5:58pm

Post #30 of 35 (174 views)
Shortcut
It important to remember [In reply to] Can't Post

since blandness can be found across many places.

Yes, other Tolkien sites. TORN is by far, at least on the english speaking spectrum, the forum with the most diverging opinions, livelier debates, with a huge amount of members and active members too, 24 hour clock.

If you are a member of other sites, you know that there some who are almost at the "ghost" level and others who are simply one minded, with few diverging opinions. Makes for a more quieter place no doubt, but less interesting, in my opinion.

Morthoron
Gondor

Dec 9 2012, 6:38pm

Post #31 of 35 (168 views)
Shortcut
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would considered TORn to be the least critical off all Tolkien sites in regards to the movies, and far less accepting of divergent opinions. This is not due to site operators or the moderators, who have maintained a very neutral (and may I say, moderate Wink) stance on varying opinion and debate.

But there seems to be a high incidence of posters who eschew critical analysis and attack even the most civil of negative views regarding the movies. That is my personal experience on this site nearing five years on the updated forum (and god knows how long on the previous one).

As far as having one's "mind made up" about bloat as another poster commented, one has a track record to go on regarding Jackson's scripting anomalies and aberrations, which can be clearly enumerated and expounded on throughout the LotR movies. It doesn't take some cynical leap to read the numerous reviews already printed to see in both the negative and praiseworthy critiques of the newest film that these troublesome issues remain.

But I'll be going to see the movie on the 22nd or 23rd, and watch it in 24fps, without the additional taxation of 3-D or 48fps to cloud my judgement. If the acting and the plot warrants additional viewings with arrows flying at me from the screen, or morbidly obese goblins plopping onto my lap in the theater, or a picture so clear I can see Gandalf's contact lens or the make-up lines above the glue on the dwarves' beards,. then I'll let you know.

Arthael
Lorien

Dec 9 2012, 7:11pm

Post #32 of 35 (156 views)
Shortcut
What are these plotS you speak of? [In reply to] Can't Post

There's the White Council subplot, and....

what else???

Azanulbizar, which isn't a subplot, only a reference to flesh out Thorin's character.

please enlighten us all as to the "sea of subplots" you're so terrified of? Cause I only count 1. And apparently it's barely in AUJ (to the point that critics don't even realize it's a true "subplot" and they think it's just an excuse for cameos)

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 9 2012, 7:21pm

Post #33 of 35 (160 views)
Shortcut
unfair of me or not... [In reply to] Can't Post

(let me restate my subject line for those of you who don't read subject lines: unfair of me or not...)

I chalk a lot of the aggressive reaction to or excessive worry about what critics are saying to being young. I think this worry that one's own opinion is 'right' or 'popular' or needs validation is something people tend to outgrow. In my mental space, I always picture someone who is overly fussing about this (which would include 'attacking' in some way a negative review) to be under 30. Among my peer group (which is considerably older than 30) we might discuss or comment on a negative review for something we liked. But we wouldn't get emotionally upset or feel that we had to attack it. We might find somethings worthy in such a review. Or we might decide it was rubbish and dismiss it from our attention. But we wouldn't have a highly emotional reaction to it.

By mentally viewing most fussing over reviews as young (and 28 is young, in a relative way, to a 60 year old), I put their reaction into context in a way that lets me accept them. Kind of. I still don't like the melodrama and hyperbole and this insistence that everyone love what we love. But in the same way I let my own kids - at 16 and 26 - have their own way of looking at things, I try to let others have their way, too.

Also, I feel I harp on this too much but.... remember that the "high incidence of posters who eschew critical analysis and attack even the most civil of negative reviews regarding the movies" is derived not from an actual, scientific sampling of the full body of people who comment here on the message boards. It's derived from the number who post - and post frequently - here on The Hobbit board. There are plenty of people like me who are not fussed and not attacking and eschewing. We are doing that by 'not posting'. So if one is judging (and I use that term in a non-judgmental way) the boards by what one reads, then one is getting a mistaken impression of the full body of current visitors and posters on TORn.

Remember (this is thrown out to the world and not you, Morothon) that when you form an opinion about PEOPLE AT TORn - you include everyone who visits TORn. I kind of wish people wouldn't do that until they had a really good sense of who the people at TORn are (is that person who just ticked you off a regular poster or someone who just posted their 10th post and they're here and gone within a week). What the culture is like on each board (the people who frequent The Hobbit board is, overall, a different group than frequents the Reading Room, which is a different group than frequents LOTR movies, which is a different group than hangs out on Off Topic and posts in Fiesta Friday threads, which is a different group than volunteers for message board events and celebrations). And what TORn is like over a reasonable time period. When The Hobbit got hot, a new wave of people moved in that changed the culture. That was a valid culture and it was part of TORn. But it wasn't all of what TORn was like. That new type didn't erase what the current culture was like when it moved in. But, in many people's heads, it did. It was as if all that existed on TORn was that new, fast moving, highly charged culture. It was not all that existed. And, whether it seems like it or not, it is not all that exists on TORn to this day.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 9 2012, 7:28pm

Post #34 of 35 (158 views)
Shortcut
"Far less accepting of divergent opinions" [In reply to] Can't Post

What a different perspective.

I am constantly surprised at how frequently (almost daily) I observe posters very publicly leaving other Tolkien sites, stating that they can no longer bear the way in which they are treated by other posters (and the inability to discuss viewpoints outside of the prevailing ones on those sites).

I can't specifically recall anyone saying that on TORN in more than a decade, despite TORN's community being relatively large compared to other sites (though I'm sure it must have happened at some point?). Certainly my own observation would be that posters of all viewpoints are welcomed, provided that they conduct themselves appropriately.

LR

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 8:34pm

Post #35 of 35 (184 views)
Shortcut
Such things [In reply to] Can't Post

- hot headedness and fervent defense of either pjs work or tolkiens are to be expected when you have a large community of people who are clearly passionate about these movies and books.
And with a large community you get everything : loud speakers, shy speakers, angry voices and kind posters, impetuous and sarcastic posts, rational and irrational messages. And thats what makes TORN so interesting : its not dull, one minded, monolhitic, snobbish or disrespectfull of posters on other forums.

In my experience, i have seen and participated in many debates and discussions where arrows are flying, plates are overturned and everyone is speaking over each oither. Sometimes i get insulted, sometimes it gets messy, and angry...its as accepting of divergent opinions as it can get.

We disagree on that point.

You dont seem to know much about the movies 3D. Everything that has been said about it is how it is not about having things coming out at you, but what making you feel there , in middle earth. That 3D is a gimmick and only happens it comes form post conversions to 3D or when it is not taken seriously as it is with TH.

And my judgement has never been clouded by 3D at the cinema, so you might have a problem there.

Cheers

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.