Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The Hobbit: One Book to Rule Them All

Tweezers of Thu
Rivendell

Dec 9 2012, 3:40pm

Views: 174
Shortcut
The Hobbit: One Book to Rule Them All Can't Post

Although not remotely a scholarly analysis, Jon Michaud's article for The New Yorker offers an entertaining (and snarkily amusing) comparison between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. No mention of their scary older brother, The Silmarillion. Heads up for what appears to be conflation of the books, which are the focus of this "critic-lite" piece, and the LotR movies.

I love Istvan Banyai's illustration.

With the imminent release of the first of Peter Jackson’s three-part adaptation of “The Hobbit,” I revisited J. R. R. Tolkien’s 1937 novel, which I had not opened since I was a teen-ager. Re-reading “The Hobbit” turned out to be something of a revelation. Formerly, I’d seen it as nothing more than an appetizer for the big feast of “The Lord of the Rings.” Now, I realized, it was a perfecly balanced meal of its own—one that left you feeling sated rather than gorged. A good case can be made that “The Hobbit” is a better and more satisfying read than its gargantuan successor. Herewith, some arguments in the little book’s favor:

Why The Hobbit is a better book than the Lord of the Rings

Oooooh, the heresy! But I do agree with some of his points. ~ Tweezers of Thû

A lake is the landscape's most beautiful and expressive feature. It is Earth's eye; looking into which the beholder measures the depth of his own nature. ~~ Henry David Thoreau

Subject User Time
The Hobbit: One Book to Rule Them All Tweezers of Thu Send a private message to Tweezers of Thu Dec 9 2012, 3:40pm
    working link: Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Dec 9 2012, 3:45pm
        Unintentionally funny, oh my yes Lily Fairbairn Send a private message to Lily Fairbairn Dec 9 2012, 4:02pm
            That comment was a doozy. Tweezers of Thu Send a private message to Tweezers of Thu Dec 9 2012, 4:41pm
        Dang... Tweezers of Thu Send a private message to Tweezers of Thu Dec 9 2012, 4:33pm
    Pretty shallow stuff for the New Yorker squire Send a private message to squire Dec 9 2012, 4:19pm
    Fascinating... grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Dec 9 2012, 5:46pm
        Bomby puts..exclamation points! Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Dec 10 2012, 12:14am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.