Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Already some potential material for AUJ: EE?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 8 2012, 10:39pm

Post #1 of 59 (2153 views)
Shortcut
Already some potential material for AUJ: EE? Can't Post

As reviews of AUJ have begun to appear online, it becomes apparent some scenes we KNOW were filmed, and yet do not appear in Film 1 and wouldn't really seem to fit in later in the story, might appear in an eventual longer cut of AUJ. So far, these include:

- The Hobbiton marketplace scene with Bilbo...we saw a glimpse of this scene in the first teaser from December 2011, and it was covered extensively in Quint's AICN Hobbit Report #2 - "They Call Me Mr. Chubb", yet apparently it's out of the film:

At this point [Bilbo] has already been propositioned by Gandalf for the big adventure and expects the wizard to pop up and bug him about it some more, I guess. After buying the fish from me he bumps into another Hobbit named Worrywort pushing a wheelbarrow of vegetables and Bilbo asks if he has seen the wizard wandering about.

Over some stalls Bilbo sees what appears to be Gandalf’s pointy grey hat and he tries to hide, usually behind other Hobbits including a confused Worrywort and an oblivious Hobbit couple on a romantic stroll through the market. They were almost obnoxiously cute here, stealing kisses as they shopped, unknowingly hiding a Baggins. It’s also of some note that Otho and Lobelia Sackville-Baggins are in this scene, Lobelia turning her nose down on Bilbo’s erratic behavior as he hides behind Worrywort…

- The flashback scene of a younger Bilbo with his mother Belladonna meeting Gandalf at a party. This was mentioned by Ian McKellen, and possibly others, in interviews, art for the scene appears in the WETA Chronicles book, and pictures of the party have appeared elsewhere such as the Visual Dictionary:

[Ian McKellan] suggested a scene showing the wizard being introduced to a baby Bilbo and his mother Belladonna Took and it was shot. He's not sure if the scene will make the final cut of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, but his suggestion was taken seriously.

''We see Gandalf observing this little boy who's full of beans and full of adventure. And I let him play with [a] toy dragon that I've got.

''And when he's thinking, 'Who should we get? Oh, there's that little boy'. And he goes back to Hobbiton to meet this little boy who's now grown up and is a real stodgy, dull, settled, unadventurous person. And he's so disappointed. 'What happened to you? Come on! You've got to go on an adventure, it'll be good for you. Get back your childish enthusiasm!'''

- Originally, the first film was going to include Gandalf and Radagast exploring the Tomb of the Nazgul - footage of this was shown at the Cinema-Con presentation earlier this year, we saw glimpses of it in both the teaser and the full trailer, and art of the "King's Tomb" was included in the WETA book being released next week...however, it's unknown if this has been re-written/re-worked, or will appear in Film 2, along with Gandalf's confrontation with Thrain/Bolg in Dol Guldur:

Gandalf is shown alone in the dark with his staff lit, searching through catacombs where the ringwraith's tombs are...then Radagast appears suddenly. Gandalf whips around to see who is sneaking up on him, he exhales rather irritated, “Oh, it’s you,” Gandalf and Radagast explore the tombs which have been broken open, the tomb of the Witch-King, Radagast says that “These are very Dark Spells, this is not a nice place to meet”, and Gandalf assures him “No, it is not”…leaning over the vertical shaft, they both look down over the edge, as Gandalf counts a total of nine tombs, all with their spells broken and bars ripped.

- "The Cat and the Fiddle" being sung at the Unexpected Party; we saw this being filmed in Peter's Vlog 3, yet it's evidently no longer in the film (I wonder if this was always just "cover" for their filming "Blunt the Knives" as in the B-roll footage, the scene while filming appears to be identical...though not sure why they'd cover-up the inclusion of a song from the book)?

- Thorin smithing a sword as seen in the latest 13-min TV special, which is apparently not in the film (weirdly, the surroundings around Thorin look like Dale IMO, but it could be a random town or even Ered Luin).

- Eh, what happened to Bombur's dialogue? He travels from the Shire through the Misty Mountains without uttering a word? Was this always the plan? Helloooo?! Blush

Anyone else have material which may appear in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Extended Blu-ray Edition? I can't believe that with three films, ANYTHING would be edited out, but this seems to be the case! All well, more releases for us to look toward to, and more moolah for Warners! AngelicEvilTongue

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Dec 8 2012, 10:41pm)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Dec 8 2012, 10:44pm

Post #2 of 59 (940 views)
Shortcut
Some more: [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo seeing Narsil. Also in the first (?) vlog they're seen filming a scene with Bilbo and Elrond, though I haven't heard any reviewers mention this.

James Nesbitt also said they filmed a scene with him singing in Rivendell.

Regarding Bombur, I think he was always going to have very few lines. Hunter mentions this in the Official Movie Guide.

(This post was edited by Carne on Dec 8 2012, 10:48pm)

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Dec 8 2012, 10:50pm

Post #3 of 59 (851 views)
Shortcut
I really hope so [In reply to] Can't Post

and honestly, I expect it to be announced soon after the actual premieres.

It would also feel cooler to see a glimpse of Gandalf getting the key from Thrain while the company is still sitting very comfortably in Bag-End.

And PJ promised an extended cut, I mean, okay, when he said it at Comic-Con the talk was still about two movies, but I think he had already three movies in mind.

And I really want these EE for their Bonus material!!! I just love all these interviews and Richard Taylors funny voice and the emotions thank sink into you when you see how much they all bond. Just great stuff!

Notanelvishname
Lorien

Dec 8 2012, 10:53pm

Post #4 of 59 (884 views)
Shortcut
Many of those scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

are replaced by alternate takes that aknowledge the events but do not show them. Like young Bilbo meeting Gandalf, or Thrain.
As for Bombur's dialogues, I suspect the main bulk of it took place in Rivendel and was cut.

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Dec 8 2012, 10:55pm

Post #5 of 59 (826 views)
Shortcut
but I don't want to just hear about all this stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to actually see it.

Just put it in the:
!!! Extended Cut Extended Cut Extended Cut !!!

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 8 2012, 11:24pm

Post #6 of 59 (777 views)
Shortcut
i think its a given were getting EE's [In reply to] Can't Post

new line made major $$$$$ with the LOTR's EE, no question there is a hunger amongst the fans and blu-ray collectors for EE's for these films.

Owned.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Dec 8 2012, 11:29pm

Post #7 of 59 (971 views)
Shortcut
Quint just tweeted this: [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson just apologized for cutting me out of The Hobbit and promised I am "the star" of the extended edition. #longlivefredegarchubb

He also told the audience that the extended cut of the first Hobbit film will be between 20 and 25 minutes longer.

Cool

(This post was edited by Carne on Dec 8 2012, 11:30pm)

tolktolk
Lorien

Dec 8 2012, 11:34pm

Post #8 of 59 (820 views)
Shortcut
Extras confirmed by PJ! [In reply to] Can't Post

Something called the Butt-Numb-a-Thon, which is organised by Aint It Cool seems to be happening right now with a 48fps screening of The Hobbit and a Q&A with Peter Jackson, who has apparently confirmed there will be an extended edition with 20 - 25 minutes' extra material.

You can follow events on Twitter at #BNAT14.

Brandalf85
The Shire

Dec 8 2012, 11:40pm

Post #9 of 59 (768 views)
Shortcut
Hooray! [In reply to] Can't Post

I figured we'd get an EE or at least a 4 disk theatrical release.

20-25 minutes? I guess that sounds about right. Thanks for the update! The first movie isn't even out yet and here I am getting giddy over the EE.

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Dec 8 2012, 11:42pm

Post #10 of 59 (749 views)
Shortcut
BEST NEWS OF THE DAY [In reply to] Can't Post

great!!

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 9 2012, 12:32am

Post #11 of 59 (711 views)
Shortcut
Yes! Take that critics! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

While they whine about the length, we're already looking forward to the 3 hr. + version!!! Cool

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Dec 9 2012, 12:36am

Post #12 of 59 (684 views)
Shortcut
DOS and TABA [In reply to] Can't Post

might be even longer in their EE :D

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 12:58am

Post #13 of 59 (617 views)
Shortcut
Well there we are! // [In reply to] Can't Post

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Asy
The Shire

Dec 9 2012, 1:01am

Post #14 of 59 (643 views)
Shortcut
Yeah boi!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

We're going to almost have a complete days worth of Middle Earth goodness (6 Middle Earth films, 3 hours each. That's round about 18 hours, give or take). Wink

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

(This post was edited by Asy on Dec 9 2012, 1:08am)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 1:40am

Post #15 of 59 (611 views)
Shortcut
This Extended Edition news... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just made my week-end! And i write this just as i'm finishing The Two Towers EE and about to start The Return of the King EE. I love spending the day watching the Extended Editions, and in 2 years, i'll be able to spend the whole week-end watching them!

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 1:45am

Post #16 of 59 (565 views)
Shortcut
And by my counting [In reply to] Can't Post

We should end up with more like 20-22 hours worth of Middle-earth.

sycorax82
Rohan

Dec 9 2012, 1:46am

Post #17 of 59 (662 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf/Galadriel Rivendell hot springs scene? [In reply to] Can't Post

I heard this was excised for pacing issues (Gandalf couldn't keep up with the ever-young Lady of Lorien ;P)

Seriously, I hope there is more info on the Dwarves and Goblins war in the EE.

morgul lord
Rivendell

Dec 9 2012, 1:53am

Post #18 of 59 (558 views)
Shortcut
LOTR EE Trilogy is approx 11-12 hours [In reply to] Can't Post

Depending on whether you take any short meal/bathroom breaks.

So yeah, we could be looking at a nearly 24 hour marathon when this is all over!

(This post was edited by morgul lord on Dec 9 2012, 1:55am)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 9 2012, 1:58am

Post #19 of 59 (519 views)
Shortcut
I'll bring the caffeine drinks. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 9 2012, 2:10am

Post #20 of 59 (538 views)
Shortcut
Bomby Reporting in..sitting through the LOTR EE Marthon..Now [In reply to] Can't Post

During Break between TTT & ROTK
..Observations after ROTK credits.
Namarie fur now..
Bomby

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 9 2012, 2:36am

Post #21 of 59 (574 views)
Shortcut
You are making a Mistake if you See TH at 24 Frames [In reply to] Can't Post

Action sequences, even fairly Quick camera Moves in BagEnd..on any Pan,Tilt, swishPan, or Not..The Stuttering is So obvious?
Since 24 was all we had..then.onLOTR
Jump in
with PJ on 48!
If you insist on 24
sit at the Back of the Theatre
the stuttering Blurring there
will be Forgiveable.

The Manager at this threatre Never of Dolby Atmos?
So choise Wisely.
The kids coming Midnight that have see it in3D..Don't know it is Not HFR?
Real D here at 48 is a smaller srceen!
Later Posts from your Reporter in Denver..
Bomby

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Dec 9 2012, 3:20am

Post #22 of 59 (537 views)
Shortcut
it's official an EE Hobbit:AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.hypable.com/2012/12/08/hobbit-unexpected-journey-extended-edition-run-time/

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Dec 9 2012, 4:04am

Post #23 of 59 (459 views)
Shortcut
it will be a long wait [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the theatrical releases of the LotR when they came out. It's funny though that once I viewed the EE versions, it feels odd to watch the theatrical release versions now. I wonder if that is how the EE Hobbit version will seem.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Dec 9 2012, 7:39am

Post #24 of 59 (365 views)
Shortcut
Extended Edition confirmed? [In reply to] Can't Post

- Just the news I was waiting for - though I was secretly hoping for 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - The Extended Edition - Part 1' and 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - The Extended Edition - Part 2'.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 9 2012, 10:09am

Post #25 of 59 (348 views)
Shortcut
25 minutes? [In reply to] Can't Post

There must be more than that?

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.