Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Can I play with sadness?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Dec 8 2012, 10:32pm

Post #1 of 35 (1390 views)
Shortcut
Can I play with sadness? Can't Post

Well folks, this is a very personal opinion but I waned to expres it openly to you all. Iīm going to try to get off the ship until the movie comes out.

As a community I feel that we didnīt get the nerve to pull up with bad reviews, LOTR movies had those too but if Hobbit movies are a good product (and they are) they will get more interesting and good with time, and they will resist the passing of the years to come, as LOTR. or as good wine.

But we donīt deserve this bad vibe to enter as a dragon sickness into our aim, and I know most of you are encouraged about the movies, but I donīt, and what upsets me and makes a little bit sad is that preccisely Iīm sad because fo something that I know that is not going to make me sad at all.And I dont need that.

is like when you have a crush on a girl and you finally going to meet her and some silly guy comes and begins to tell (Iīm not saying true or false) things about her, but (unncessary), because you know that you are so in love with her that despite she is no perfect(just as you) she has been in your herart for so long. Some bad vibe, mostly unnecesary has settled between this so waited movies and I, ad nor the movies or I, need this. Ok maybe this example is a little bit over the top.

Too much fear in our bones, when this should be a festival, but the party is a little bit down because of the so called critics and the damned tomatoes.

Iīm so sorry, have a nice countdwon der all, see you soon.

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Dec 8 2012, 10:36pm

Post #2 of 35 (594 views)
Shortcut
relax! [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, after LOTR the bar is set very high which increases the amount of bad reviews, because were are definetly not getting a second LOTR, but something very different and hopefully just as entertaining. Everyone is just so excited that it's hard to calm down when a few negative reviews hit the spot.

But I bet you, in the end all will be just fine!

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 8 2012, 10:38pm

Post #3 of 35 (550 views)
Shortcut
I know how you feel, believe me. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

waaimasjien
Bree

Dec 8 2012, 10:55pm

Post #4 of 35 (615 views)
Shortcut
um.. okay. [In reply to] Can't Post

"So-called critics"? Come on, let's just face the possibility that the film isn't that good.

Let your expectations be as low as possible and the first viewing experience can only be better Smile

Simon
Rivendell

Dec 8 2012, 11:24pm

Post #5 of 35 (492 views)
Shortcut
maybe...but ...can i play with madness too? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because The Hobbit will kick ass! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocFxQjPeyiY

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Grey Havens

Dec 8 2012, 11:28pm

Post #6 of 35 (460 views)
Shortcut
why is not a like button in this forum? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks you all for the warm as always but I think I will try to go forward with my abscence

plus, I meant not to make feel bad anybody who thinks that the movie is not good, but about saying that that cold wouldnīt chill our bones my good people hereSmile

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

(This post was edited by isaac on Dec 8 2012, 11:32pm)

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Dec 8 2012, 11:29pm

Post #7 of 35 (449 views)
Shortcut
Mod up! [In reply to] Can't Post

Did I get this, right? Smile

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

ForestPark
Rivendell

Dec 8 2012, 11:40pm

Post #8 of 35 (469 views)
Shortcut
It's only a movie, it's only a movie...... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Morthoron
Gondor

Dec 9 2012, 1:44am

Post #9 of 35 (550 views)
Shortcut
Are you trying to convince me or yourself? [In reply to] Can't Post

If the movies are not up to par, oh well. I wouldn't be at all surprised, given the material is being stretched to outrageous and unnecessary lengths to cover three films. And then there's Peter Jackson's penchant for superfluous story lines and fabrications.

I am going to see the movie because I promised my daughter we would go. The Hobbit was the first serious book we read together when she was younger, and it was a great experience for both of us. If the movie turns out to be bad, we'll have fun picking it apart.

And we certainly won't be watching it in 48 fps. It's certainly worrisome enough that Jackson, Walsh and Boyens wrote the screenplay, I don't need jarring and disconcerting visual images as well.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Beren0nehanded
Bree

Dec 9 2012, 2:19am

Post #10 of 35 (338 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you isaac . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy

Don't be hasty.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 2:30am

Post #11 of 35 (441 views)
Shortcut
Someone deems [In reply to] Can't Post

it necessary dont they?

Out of curiosity, how do you know your response to 48 fps would be jarring and disconcerting? What if you actually appreciate it?

Smile

Morthoron
Gondor

Dec 9 2012, 2:55am

Post #12 of 35 (458 views)
Shortcut
Someone deemed... [In reply to] Can't Post

it necessary to drag a 19 chapter linear mock-epic into three movies, burying the original story in created subplots and characters. Just because someone deems it necessary, doesn't make it a good thing.

Considering that some of the greatest movies I've ever seen were filmed in black and white, I am completely uninterested in 3-D or 48 FPS. I'll see how the movie goes with just acting and plot before I worry about technical addenda.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

lurtz2010
Rohan

Dec 9 2012, 4:07am

Post #13 of 35 (329 views)
Shortcut
don't worry about bad reviews [In reply to] Can't Post

Just watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNkskVqvQS4

Does that not look amazing to you? I think most fans will love this movie.

cameragod
Lorien

Dec 9 2012, 7:12am

Post #14 of 35 (235 views)
Shortcut
You know [In reply to] Can't Post

The Shawshank Redemption, regarded by many as a very good film was based on a short story... nobody says "how did they get that whole movie out of that short story, damn all that padding in it"... just saying :)

All artists are prepared to suffer for their work, but why are so few prepared to learn to draw? :BANKSY

"A Cameraman without a camera is just a man." Stephen Press

morgul lord
Rivendell

Dec 9 2012, 7:26am

Post #15 of 35 (233 views)
Shortcut
Fun Fact [In reply to] Can't Post

The Shawshank Redemption is from the same Stephen King short story collection that inspired the movies Stand By Me and Apt Pupil (with Ian McKellen).

Three good movies, from three short stories in the same book!

Morthoron
Gondor

Dec 9 2012, 1:52pm

Post #16 of 35 (187 views)
Shortcut
Just for clarification's sake... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Shawshank Redemption, regarded by many as a very good film was based on a short story... nobody says "how did they get that whole movie out of that short story, damn all that padding in it"... just saying :)

Stephen King's Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption is a novella, not a short story (novellas are longer than short stories). The movie does not deviate greatly from the novella.

Beyond that, to make your argument work, the movie The Shawshank Redemption would have to also borrow subplots from another Stephen King book or books that change the perspective of the story completely away from the main character, add in extra characters not in any books, and be made into three movies.

Just saying. Wink

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 9 2012, 2:51pm

Post #17 of 35 (158 views)
Shortcut
*Scratches head* [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the poster's point is simply about the fact that there is no fixed relationship between number of words in a text and the amount of screen time it generates. Shorter texts do not necessarily produce shorter adaptations and vice versa.

LR

Morthoron
Gondor

Dec 9 2012, 3:04pm

Post #18 of 35 (151 views)
Shortcut
I understand the poster's comment... [In reply to] Can't Post

But it does not apply in a one-on-one comparison.

I put it in context with The Hobbit movie. We are not talking about just the book "The Hobbit" being made into three movies, are we? We are talking about "The Hobbit" book being only part of three movies wherein extended subplots and extraneous characters are added in, thus diluting the main plot.

In regards to the Shawshank Redemption movie, it would be rather like the screenplay added in the lawyer from "Thinner" and the clown from "It" and used subplots from each of these separate stories to pad Shawshank. Tongue

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 9 2012, 3:14pm

Post #19 of 35 (136 views)
Shortcut
Well on length then [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course additional material would only add weight to ratio, which I think was his core point.

if however we are to discuss composition, I don't think "dilution" is by any means a sole or obvious conclusion to draw from additions. Some additions enhance the flavour of the core ingredients, whilst others detract but it remains to be seen which we have here.

In terms of analogy I think there are better examples than the one you offer actually, given that it is King. As you probably know he does in fact "add in" characters and references from other works to various of his stories, not least those set in Derry and those which feature cross referencing ideas such as Flagg. Many people see this as very much enriching his tales, and of course it would be an interesting, and potentially enriching, feature of adaptations of his work.

In terms of Tolkien of course then one can see a similar, if later, action to provide wider context and linkages with the tale of TH.

LR

Morthoron
Gondor

Dec 9 2012, 3:21pm

Post #20 of 35 (134 views)
Shortcut
A "reference" is not a "subplot" ;p [In reply to] Can't Post

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 9 2012, 3:24pm

Post #21 of 35 (118 views)
Shortcut
My apologies - please mentally replace my words "characters and references" [In reply to] Can't Post

With "subplots"

LR

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 3:25pm

Post #22 of 35 (122 views)
Shortcut
For those of us who were curious about where Gandalf wandered off to [In reply to] Can't Post

Telling us where he went and why has high potential for enriching the story. To each their own.

Arthur: What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: I... am an enchanter.
Arthur: By what name are you known?
Tim: There are some who call me... 'Tim'...?
Arthur: ...greetings, Tim the Enchanter.

(This post was edited by Tim on Dec 9 2012, 3:26pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 3:29pm

Post #23 of 35 (114 views)
Shortcut
The problem [In reply to] Can't Post

already arises with the use of DRAG and BURYING which implies that those decisions were done with not in good faith, and with disaterous results.

We do not know either way, so far. You choose to believe it is bad. I dont, and wait to see for myself and dont have a preconceived notion.

Some of the greatest films i have ever seen were also in black and white, on 35 mm from the 60's and 70's and from the 30's even.
How does that have anything to do Real 3D 48 FPS and why should that stop me from enjoying TH in a different way?

There is something to be said about the advantages and fruits one can gain from wandering off out of ones comfort zone and taking risks. I believe theres even a very famous book about it....

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Dec 9 2012, 3:31pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 3:32pm

Post #24 of 35 (107 views)
Shortcut
I wish [In reply to] Can't Post

to see that with greta curiosity. One of those decisions that i applaud, at least in theory.

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 9 2012, 3:40pm

Post #25 of 35 (100 views)
Shortcut
Mind made up [In reply to] Can't Post

Some are letting themselves get freaked out way to easily because a few people out of the whole are had negative things to say. I don't get why you'd let yourself get swayed so easily, because not everyone is going to like it.

I can see a couple of people in here and I know I have a couple friends who are already negative in mindset because they are stuck on perceived bloat. So for people like this it isn't going to matter the reviews or how the film is they've made up their minds before entering and seeing the movie.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.