*potential spoilers* Gandalf's Staff
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Dec 8 2012, 8:59pm

Post #26 of 40 (522 views)
Shortcut
I like that idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone suggested something along the same lines in a thread a few months ago, which I thought would be a nice touch. I'm not too bothered if they kill him off provided it's handled well, i.e. he dies in a dignified way. If he's killed and his body disappears (like Ben Kenobi's death in Star Wars), leaving, as you said his staff, hat and robes on the ground. This would be a lovely touch as Raddy could become one with nature (similar to Ben becoming one with the Force). We then see the moth later in the film as you suggested.

However, I've just noticed a major weakness in that idea. Undoubtedly the moth will be seen when Gandy & Co are rescued by the Eagles, at a time where Raddy is most likely still alive. So if that happens, Raddy can't be the moth for the sake of simplicity.Frown

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Dec 8 2012, 9:00pm)

Valandil ed Imladris
Lorien

Dec 8 2012, 10:22pm

Post #27 of 40 (480 views)
Shortcut
i actually like the moth idea [In reply to] Can't Post

It's cheesy, but kind of cool, in my opinion. I loooooooove connections :D

Pousette
Rivendell

Dec 8 2012, 11:48pm

Post #28 of 40 (470 views)
Shortcut
The moth isn't a nesessary connection to the eagles... [In reply to] Can't Post

And there's nothing pointing towards Radagast not being able to turn himself into a moth, and then turn back again. The moth was linked to Radagast by some, already eleven years ago, when FOTR came out.

Still, it doesn't really matter how many fans considers it a predictable option. Just a couple of years ago very many ringers were certain David Tennant would be playing Bilbo, and Brian Blessed would be Thorin.

It's absolutely not impossible that Radagast will die, but I don't think McCoy would hint about it already if he did. Also, we already have key people who will be lost in the BO5A, and there's no real reason for PJ to kill of another few, just for a heavier or darker spirit.

Pousette
Rivendell

Dec 9 2012, 12:00am

Post #29 of 40 (456 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast doesn't "deserve" to sail into the west, given that he abandons his mission. Although, PJ seems to alter the story, by suggesting Radagast sticks to his task. So, given that they don't show him abandoning his responsibilities, some sort of defeat situation is very possible. Although, is really doesn't have to be death or permanent transformation.

But, what the hobbit, for all we know PJ might turn him into the Witch-king to "BRIDGE" into LotR ;)

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Dec 9 2012, 10:05am

Post #30 of 40 (419 views)
Shortcut
It isn't a necessary one, but provided that PJ's used this connection on all the Eagle instances before... [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems like a big hint, especially given that the soundtrack for this moment sounds like a reprise of the soundtrack in the scene from RotK. While Raddy could still turn into the moth, the less observant members of the audiences will not pick this up and miss the connection if there is two moths.

It's possible that McCoy didn't mean to drop that hint, and wouldn't have wanted to, given that in our speculating the chances are that at least one of the ideas discussed on this thread is the correct one.

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

Pousette
Rivendell

Dec 9 2012, 12:38pm

Post #31 of 40 (416 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

The moth didn't bring the eagles in ROTK... so there's no real need for a second moth, whether it's Radagast, a friend of Radagast, or just a very nice moth.

I assume Walsh and Boyens got something a bit more curious in mind than our ideas. Or at least, something more specific and elaborate.

Perhaps we shouldn't try too hard to predict Radagast's (and the staff's) fate. PJ works in mysterious ways, haha Wink

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Dec 9 2012, 12:43pm

Post #32 of 40 (413 views)
Shortcut
What I meant was that [In reply to] Can't Post

The moth probably didn't bring the Eagles, but Gandalf still saw the moth appear just before the Eagles arrived.

But yes, I agree, there isn't a lot of point trying to pick at some straws which probably don't exist. Indeed, PJ's mind must be a strange though interesting thing.Laugh

Pousette
Rivendell

Dec 9 2012, 1:30pm

Post #33 of 40 (424 views)
Shortcut
You're right about the moth! My bad. Memory getting worse, I guess ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Dec 9 2012, 1:34pm

Post #34 of 40 (403 views)
Shortcut
Lol no problem, it happens to the best of us, of whom I am certainly not one!// [In reply to] Can't Post

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 10:10pm

Post #35 of 40 (383 views)
Shortcut
Why would Radagast [In reply to] Can't Post

turn into a moth?! Doesn't that sound absurd to anyone else? Especially given P.J.'s well known aversion to "magic" in these films? Sounds like bad fan fic to me. Maybe there's something i'm missing?

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Dec 9 2012, 10:30pm

Post #36 of 40 (375 views)
Shortcut
Yes I know what you're saying [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just that people are looking for a way that PJ can link him with LOTR and due to the moth's importance in the Isengard escape scene, added to Raddy's connection with nature (and him being a "A master of shapes" and all) many people have come to think that this is the most obvious answer. While I like it, I have no idea how it would/could work visually onscreen. In those terms it does seem a bit ridiculous.

However, if PJ wants to link Raddy to LOTR then I'm sure he's already found a much better idea that none of us have thought of.Laugh

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 10:35pm

Post #37 of 40 (373 views)
Shortcut
Well, couldn't they just show [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast "talking" to a moth in one of the Hobbit films? I would think that would be a really cool, and a lot more reasonable, connection.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 10 2012, 8:15am

Post #38 of 40 (377 views)
Shortcut
No more absurd than .... [In reply to] Can't Post

a talking purse.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Hun200kmh
The Shire

Dec 10 2012, 5:07pm

Post #39 of 40 (352 views)
Shortcut
I dislike unnecessary changes ... [In reply to] Can't Post

From the books, and "killing" Radagast during the Hobbit events is one. Radagast plays a very important role in LOTR, by meeting Gandalf at or close to Bree, can't remember and by telling him that the Nine have left Minas Morgul. That's what makes Gandalf visit Saruman. Radagast is also the reason why the Eagle-king (don't remember the correct spelling of the name now) goes to Isengard and there he saves Gandalf from his prison. Finally Radagast is probably the reason why Eagles show up at the gates of Mordor, although this we can only assume.

So, I do know PJ changed how/why/what made Gandalf visit Saruman in his own FOTR, but there's no need to kill Radagast.

In fact (brain working, maybe it'll melt)

In PJ's FOTR, Gandalf

1) Lost his first FOTR staff to Saruman;

2) Escaped, staffless, with the help of an Eagle sent by Radagast;

3) Therefore got himself ANOTHER staff, the one we saw at the Council of Elrond;

4) I'd say it is very probable that Radagast's the one that gave it to him. It's either that or Gandalf doing his own staffs when he brakes them

5) And Gandalf tends to be quite careless with staffs, considering he lost two of them in FOTR (one to Saruman, one in Moria) and one in ROTK.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2012, 9:08pm

Post #40 of 40 (356 views)
Shortcut
I hope they don't kill Radagast for the reasons you state [In reply to] Can't Post

but i fear they will. I don't mind small, character changes, but big changes that alter Tolkien's cronology are bothersome.

That's funny about Gandalf and his staffs (staves?). He goes through staffs like my girlfriend goes through iPhones!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.