Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Query for the holidays: Re-gift? Yes or No?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Query for the holidays: Re-gift? Yes or No?
Yes
No
Maybe (Please explain)
View Results (31 votes)

wendy woo
Rivendell

Dec 8 2012, 6:10am

Post #1 of 26 (863 views)
Shortcut
Query for the holidays: Re-gift? Yes or No? Can't Post

Do you view re-gifting as frugality or callous re-appropriation? And are you now or have you ever been a re-giftor and/or re-gifted?

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 8 2012, 7:15am

Post #2 of 26 (258 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm no Dr. Tim Whatley Wink For one thing, I figure if someone takes the time and trouble to get me something, I should keep it. And even if I feel that I'm the recipient of a re-gifting, I wouldn't re-gift for fear that it would come back to bite me...just like Tim Whatley. Laugh (I'm a bigger Seinfeld geek than I am a Tolkien geek Tongue)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 8 2012, 8:07am

Post #3 of 26 (227 views)
Shortcut
No, I don't. [In reply to] Can't Post

Usually people also attach a gift receipt, so if it really is that awful, I can exchange it for something else without felling guilty.

Why? Are you plannin on re-gifting?Tongue

CuriousG
Valinor

Dec 8 2012, 8:27am

Post #4 of 26 (271 views)
Shortcut
Depending on the situation [In reply to] Can't Post

If my close family or friends give me something, I'd feel obligated to keep it. Anything I get at the office, or from people that I don't know that well, that isn't suited to me, I'm happy to pass on as a gift to someone else who'd appreciate it. I don't do it to save money, but to avoid wasting a gift that I would either throw away or forever leave in its box.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 8 2012, 10:21am

Post #5 of 26 (272 views)
Shortcut
I look on it as recycling. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have received gifts that someone else would enjoy more than I would, so I gave it to someone who could appreciate it and I have received the same sort of thing.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 8 2012, 2:55pm

Post #6 of 26 (217 views)
Shortcut
Yes, kind of [In reply to] Can't Post

That is, I don't so much regift (which I rarely do) as be very willing to gift used items. I am a thrift store junkie and I am always picking up things that I use as gifts for people. I don't try to pretend they're new. I just offer them as, here's this thing I found at a really good price I think you'll like.

Like a leather shoulder messenger type bag. Or CDs or DVDs or Books. In fact, I'd consider anyone who gave me a full price book they could get for half price at Uncle Hugo's Science Fiction Bookstore to have wasted half their money. One year, the 'stocking stuffers' for my kids were big bags labeled, 'from the island of misfit toys' and they were full of used toys (mostly fast food type toys) from the thrift store.

My family all enjoys the thrifting experience - the boys when they were growing up, not so much now as adults. Model train sets, Garfield or Ninja Turtle items, batteries intended for cell phones repurposed for ant weight fighting robots. I had one son who would grab the neighbors' electronics put out in the alley for trash pick up and fix them till they were fine - or repurpose a large screen tv that didn't work for tv anymore but did work for gaming.

So, they don't see this sort of stuff as inferior. They see it as good bargains and sometimes, good luck... when one finds something that is no longer available. It's essentially the same as buying off e-Bay except with thrift store shopping, one takes what one finds. One does not enter a search term and find a seller for that one product.

I wouldn't have a problem at all receiving a repurposed or used item as a gift.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 8 2012, 3:04pm

Post #7 of 26 (223 views)
Shortcut
Would you keep this if it were sent to you? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/...Holder-11469503.html

I got one. From my mother. It was not quite my style. I did keep it - out of guilt - in the basement till it got banged up enough I could call it 'damaged' and threw it away.

I could have donated it to a charitable gift store and let someone who loved it have it.

Or what about all the highly Christian religious items my sister gave me when she knew my faith wasn't Christian. Use them? Put them in a drawer? Or donate them to a charitable gift store and let someone who would appreciate them have them?

If you keep things you don't like or can't use to be nice about it, you have a bigger house than I do. I don't have room for stuff I don't love or enjoy or have a strong connection to (like my son's old Pez collection I can't quite throw out yet).

But most of the stuff I get is something I like or love. I don't go 'shopping' on my shelves for a gift. An item comes to me and I either keep it or look for a home that will love it. And some of what I pass along isn't because I don't love it. Sometimes I have many items of things I love and share them freely with other people who will love them, too. Like a pack of TOPPs LOTR cards. :-) I have a massive amount passed to me from a Tolkien collector and I share the joy when I can.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Dec 8 2012, 3:05pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 8 2012, 3:06pm

Post #8 of 26 (213 views)
Shortcut
yes // [In reply to] Can't Post

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 8 2012, 3:15pm

Post #9 of 26 (222 views)
Shortcut
"from the Island of Misfit Toys" [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie, that is brilliant! We may have to do that in the Eruvande household. My kids always feel sorry for the misfit toys when we watch that show. But what a great way to "repurpose" otherwise throw aways. I love it!

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 8 2012, 4:08pm

Post #10 of 26 (252 views)
Shortcut
the problem with that idea is... [In reply to] Can't Post

at least at the thrift store I shop at, they no longer carry fast food toys. They only carry dolls, stuffed toys, hot wheels, and a smattering of other things.

So you'd have to find a source of inexpensive toys (not ones being sold to 'collectors') for the kids. But yeah, putting the 'misfit' label on them meant they could be a bit battered and maybe missing a piece or two and still be considered 'okay'.

Without those of us buying misfit toys, they would all be going into landfills and incinerators. I suppose they do eventually when they get just too battered to pass on. But all the toys I bought second hand were ones I didn't buy new. Not good for the economy, perhaps. But better for the environment?

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 3:04am

Post #11 of 26 (227 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear, I knew I should have been clearer in my post - didn't mean to offend [In reply to] Can't Post

I certainly didn't mean to imply that anyone who re-gifts lacks gratitude or any such thing. I've passed along gifts I've received to someone who would get more out of them. However, I don't present them as something I went out and picked out especially for that person, which is what I think of as "re-gifting." But if someone gives me something that they seem to actually take pleasure in giving to me, yes, I keep it. I had a friend give me a clown doll because she said that I always made her laugh, she seemed genuinely happy about her choice of gift. I loved the reasoning behind her gift, but I have clown issues - I know it's stupid, but they've always given me the creeps - and I'm not too keen on dolls either, so the clown doll almost made me scream with fright Blush But I keep it because of the thought behind it.

I don't have a large social circle so I don't get that many gifts anyway. (So I don't have to worry about filling up my house.) If a co-worker who didn't know me well and gave me a generic gift to be nice, I might well re-gift and not feel at all guilty, but it's just not something that comes up.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 9 2012, 5:38am

Post #12 of 26 (261 views)
Shortcut
no, I wasn't offended. [In reply to] Can't Post

It really is just that I've gotten some gifts that just made no sense for me to keep. Good intentions or not. And I still wonder if you would really keep a 4 foot sea shell chandelier type plant holder!

But I donate those sorts of things. I don't regift them.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2012, 8:08am

Post #13 of 26 (292 views)
Shortcut
I must admit [In reply to] Can't Post

That four foot sea shell plant holder - as Tim Gunn of Project Runway says when confronted with an over-the-top design - "is a lotta look." Laugh It probably is best to find it a home with someone who has a beach house. Smile

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 9 2012, 7:32pm

Post #14 of 26 (182 views)
Shortcut
I have done it a couple of times [In reply to] Can't Post

but not with gifts from family or close friends. For example, a reclusive neighbor whom I invited to a ladies' tea party brought along a gift that was fairly ridiculous; I strongly suspect she re-gifted it to me herself, and I had no compunction about wrapping it up for the annual White Elephant party my church holds.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 9 2012, 7:41pm

Post #15 of 26 (186 views)
Shortcut
ah, White Elephant parties are great [In reply to] Can't Post

I got the Minas Tirith polyfigure that came with the ROTK DVDs at one. I passed along a cast iron waffle maker to a friend who still uses it in her yearly Valentine's Day waffle breakfast party. One year I got a CD of Baltimore Consort doing bawdy songs from the 1700s. And every year someone would bring an actual white elephant (figure). I have one of them made from stone.

There were, of course, the totally useless and ridiculous items we all tried hard to convince people *they* really wanted.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 10 2012, 12:13am

Post #16 of 26 (196 views)
Shortcut
My family had a perpetual re-gift [In reply to] Can't Post

a chia Shrek, which made the rounds of several Christmases and birthdays. It hasn't resurfaced for a few events now, I'm not sure what became of it. Laugh

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 10 2012, 4:57am

Post #17 of 26 (177 views)
Shortcut
oh, that happened at my dad's office annual party [In reply to] Can't Post

there was a lava lamp that used to be in the office, but after many years the stuff inside solidified and looked, er, like a waste product. So one of the doctors wrapped it up and put it in the white elephant exchange, and every coupla years after that it came back. Wrapping it so someone wouldn't guess what it was became quite the endeavor after a while.

(This post was edited by Annael on Dec 10 2012, 4:59am)

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 10 2012, 5:22am

Post #18 of 26 (213 views)
Shortcut
in a only slightly related way... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wanted to disguise the gift I was giving my son because he had suggested only a few things and if I wrapped the one I got him - a tabletop game - he would know from the size and shape exactly what it was. So I bought another game with a very different size at a thrift store - Twilight, the board game.

Then I put a note in the game saying, "What? This isn't the one you wanted?" When he opened it, I went up to get the real game.

Well, he snuck the Twilight game into the annual after Christmas gaming party his social group has and wouldn't let on that he had brought it when people went all bananas that it had shown up (These guys are serious gamers). Apparently the host tried for a year to get someone to fess up to bringing it so they could take it home. My son is as straight faced as it comes when pulling a prank. I don't think he ever came clean.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 10 2012, 6:43am

Post #19 of 26 (306 views)
Shortcut
At our office Secret Santa gift-giving [In reply to] Can't Post

we know that one of the wrapped gifts will be a framed photo of a dog that belongs to one of our colleagues. That is definitely the booby prize that we all try to avoid.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 10 2012, 7:26pm

Post #20 of 26 (172 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

In our family we call it "Shopping in the basement store." We do it all the time. If it's not something we're sure the other person wants, we say, "This is an it." Which is code for "This isn't your real present and you don't have to like it. It was lying around and I thought there was a chance you'd like it more than I do."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 10 2012, 7:28pm

Post #21 of 26 (198 views)
Shortcut
That reminds me of a set of red vinyl shower curtains [In reply to] Can't Post

that made the rounds of white elephant parties for years when I was in college.

diedye
Grey Havens

Dec 10 2012, 9:25pm

Post #22 of 26 (231 views)
Shortcut
Only if it was of great beauty or value... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and passed on years after it was given.

But I'm totally against re-gifting if your reason is pure laziness.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Dec 11 2012, 1:33am

Post #23 of 26 (203 views)
Shortcut
I said "Maybe" [In reply to] Can't Post

as I've often donated my boys unwanted/unused toys to the Salvation Army. But only if they're in good condition. I'm not sure if that's the same thing you're asking.

I've passed on valuable gifts within the family, and received the same, that mean things to our family and are never to go out of our family. But once again, not sure if that's what you mean. *shrugs*

wendy woo
Rivendell

Dec 11 2012, 3:48am

Post #24 of 26 (244 views)
Shortcut
Hey, I think I own that CD by Baltimore Consort! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a sucker! I paid full price for it! Frown

Eärwen of Mithlond
The Shire

Dec 19 2012, 7:15am

Post #25 of 26 (155 views)
Shortcut
Maybe: If you can pull it off as well as this... [In reply to] Can't Post

And this story shall be known as the Tale of the Brightly-colored Ceramic Chicken Spoon-rest.
The brightly-colored ceramic chicken spoon-rest was something my paternal grandmother once gave to my mother (her daughter-in-law) for Christmas. It was not the kind of thing I can imagine in anyone's kitchen except my grandmother's. Noticing this, my mother, in an uncharacteristic risk-taking mood, decided to give it back to her the next Christmas.
It worked. My grandmother never remembered having seen it before, and found it quite lovely for her kitchen.
I doubt that anyone can top this re-gifting tale. If you can, I'll be interested to hear it.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.