Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hey, it's me.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 10:11pm

Post #1 of 71 (3301 views)
Shortcut
Hey, it's me. Can't Post

A few days ago i've said i'm going on a hiatus for two weeks, the purpose was to not let anything negative dampen my enthusiasm. Alas, it wasn't meant to be. Just minutes ago i was watching some gaming video podcast, the topic was long vs short games and someone brings up the Hobbit movie, that supposedly it feels padded and that maybe it would have been better received had it been shorter. I'm devastated. Please tell me the reception is not as bad as i'm imagining. Should i risk a peek at Rotten Tomatoes? Why oh why did i watch that podcast... Unsure

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 10:14pm

Post #2 of 71 (941 views)
Shortcut
There are several review threads, if you want take a gander. Different folks say different things. [In reply to] Can't Post

You've already made yourself nervous may as well see what everyone else is saying. Wink

Arthur: What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: I... am an enchanter.
Arthur: By what name are you known?
Tim: There are some who call me... 'Tim'...?
Arthur: ...greetings, Tim the Enchanter.

ZackB
The Shire

Dec 7 2012, 10:17pm

Post #3 of 71 (882 views)
Shortcut
do not worry [In reply to] Can't Post

Most people like the movie. The reviews that happen to be negative have to do with the 48fps. They just do not like it, the thing is they don't have to see it in that form! Another complaint is that it is packed with infomation. info that someone who loves the hobbit book/milddle earth will surely enjoy, but someone who is unfamiliar with the hobbit, may not truly understand or appreciate. All the acting has been praised. I was like you I was honestly devastated to see it get some negative reviews but the thing is they just don't understand what they are seeing! which is a new story set in m/e and a new style in the way it is told.

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Dec 7 2012, 10:20pm

Post #4 of 71 (882 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to be blunt... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I think you need to man up.

Someone saying The Hobbit supposedly feels padded in a gaming podcast really isn't something that should devastate you. And if it does, you may as well go ahead and read a couple of real reviews on RT. At worst, your expectations will be lowered and you'll enjoy the film a lot more, but you may also find yourself pleasantly surprised...

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 7 2012, 10:23pm

Post #5 of 71 (1278 views)
Shortcut
Yes it's padded. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was inevitable given the 11th hour decision to cut it into a trilogy. The film had to end a lot earlier than intended, so to make up the running time it had to be filled with a load of "EE" type scenes that would normally have had the chop.

Lots of people predicted this, and it has turned out to be true.

* crunch *

Username4242
Bree

Dec 7 2012, 10:25pm

Post #6 of 71 (754 views)
Shortcut
Frankly, the claims of padding make me all the more excited. [In reply to] Can't Post

Comparisons to the extended editions are a great thing to hear, as I've always felt that they were much more enjoyable than the theatric cuts.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 10:35pm

Post #7 of 71 (736 views)
Shortcut
It's not like that guy saw the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

He's just relating what he read. I was just so bummed that apparently Hobbit won't be as praised as LOTR. I guess, i wanted someone to put my mind at ease. But reading posts from you guys i guess reactions are mixed. Unsure

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 10:43pm

Post #8 of 71 (719 views)
Shortcut
Could be self-fulfilling prophecy. [In reply to] Can't Post

Also, the movie doesn't need to be almost 3 hours long, so i don't quite get your "to make up running time".

And last but not least, a lot of people (at least the fans) like the EEs.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 10:48pm

Post #9 of 71 (700 views)
Shortcut
I dunno... [In reply to] Can't Post

if it's right to just dismiss it as "they don't understand".

Glad to hear most people like it.

Nightwing
Bree

Dec 7 2012, 10:52pm

Post #10 of 71 (865 views)
Shortcut
Making it a drawn-out trilogy, 48fps, Jackson's love for cartoony slapstick [In reply to] Can't Post

These are things that seem to have killed the movie for a lot of people.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 10:58pm

Post #11 of 71 (852 views)
Shortcut
I think i'll pass. [In reply to] Can't Post

I pretty much never read reviews, even after seeing a movie. I'm usually just checking out what the general vibe is.

So, considering the LOTRs got over 90 on Rotten Tomatoes (RT), would you say going to RT will bum me out even more or not. It's not like it absolutely must do 90 but not much lower than that would be nice. Wink

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 7 2012, 11:00pm

Post #12 of 71 (698 views)
Shortcut
It's much lower than 90 [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd suggest skipping RT.

* crunch *

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 11:12pm

Post #13 of 71 (645 views)
Shortcut
I'm already kicking myself for making this thread [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew that one turkish critic who tweeted about hearing bad things before the embargo was lifted was the harbinger of what was to come... Unsure

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Dec 7 2012, 11:13pm)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 11:14pm

Post #14 of 71 (694 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to point out that there's a load of positive reviews [In reply to] Can't Post

And even the negative ones aren't "the acting is horrible and this movie sucks". They're mostly complaining about the 48fps and the "padding", which the fans who have watched the movie don't mind at all.

A quote from The Hollywood Reporter's review:

There has almost certainly never been an adaptation of a novel more studiously, scrupulously and strenuously faithful as Peter Jackson's film of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Spending nearly three hours of screen time to visually represent every comma, period and semicolon in the first six chapters of the perennially popular 19-chapter book, Jackson and his colleagues have created a purist's delight, something the millions of die-hard fans of his Lord of the Rings trilogy will gorge upon. In pure movie terms, however, it's also a bit of a slog, with an inordinate amount of exposition and lack of strong forward movement.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 11:20pm

Post #15 of 71 (609 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for that. [In reply to] Can't Post

It lifted my spirit a bit.

It's really odd that disconnect between the filmmakers and the critics when it comes to 48fps. At least in 3D i imagine it would (and i still think it will) look amazingly clear, without that strobing that can hurt your eyes. Maybe he should have screened it in 24fps... Unsure

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Dec 7 2012, 11:22pm)

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 7 2012, 11:20pm

Post #16 of 71 (672 views)
Shortcut
Do you like Tolkien? If so, you'll love it. The problem is... [In reply to] Can't Post

There are a lot of film critics out there who aren't really into Tolkien, and they wanted a "pacy" mainstream movie (like the LotR films I guess). The Hobbit is a slow burner, but in a way that fans will appreciate.

It's a film for fans, not critics.

Edit: an easy test is this - did you like the LOTR EEs more than the theatricals? If so, you'll love The Hobbit.

* crunch *

(This post was edited by Crunchable Birdses on Dec 7 2012, 11:23pm)

Azog
Bree

Dec 7 2012, 11:26pm

Post #17 of 71 (558 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry but that made me laugh

Positive reviews out weigh the good,if you like lotr you'll enjoy AUJ

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 7 2012, 11:30pm

Post #18 of 71 (792 views)
Shortcut
if you want to read something that makes you feel better... [In reply to] Can't Post

...i highly suggest looking up the Empire review. i think it sets reasonable expectations for the movie with a balanced take on the pros and cons of PJ's approach to expanding the story but its emphasis is positive and i think neatly straddles the line between the perspective of someone who is clearly a fan of the original trilogy and probably Tolkien, too, but also very passionate and educated about film.

i've read most of the reviews and i haven't read anything that makes me think the movie will be bad or terribly disappointing. if there's any consensus at all to the criticism it's that many felt the movie was too long. i don't think that's gonna be a big problem for me, unless there are huge chunks that feel absolutely pointless and aren't from the book (and so far that doesn't seem to be the case, a lot of the reviews have positive remarks about the material that was added, they just don't like the total length overall). two of the other constant talking points are the tone and HFR, with half the people saying they don't care for some of the silly stuff while the other half says they like the blend of humor and darkness, and HFR really being divisive with some people adoring it and other loathing it (but it's optional!)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 11:30pm

Post #19 of 71 (571 views)
Shortcut
Sure, it's not universally loved, like LotR, but [In reply to] Can't Post

the few critics who really dislike it don't seem to "get" The Hobbit, Tolkien, or fantasy in general. The ones who love/like it a lot are obviously fans of either Tolkien or the first trilogy, which bodes well for us. And the rest think it's good, with great moments, but with flaws as well (pacing/slow getting started, 48fps).

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 11:31pm

Post #20 of 71 (589 views)
Shortcut
Well, yeah, i do prefer the EEs (except some bits in ROTK) [In reply to] Can't Post

Whether i'll like it or love it, it's just a bummer PJ and co is not getting the love as in the good old days. Unsure

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 11:35pm

Post #21 of 71 (566 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the Empire review is really good. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd also check out the Nerdist, Collider, Twitch Film, and Entertainment Weekly. There's also a great article/review on HFR at FirstShowing.net.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 11:44pm

Post #22 of 71 (694 views)
Shortcut
The Solution to Your problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pisaxtEARAE

After you see the video, i would be very interested to know youre reaction, Estel.

Smile

PS : i just saw an american indie film and i thoroughly enjoyed it. Checked the critics reactions on RT....38%...to me this is ridiculous. Should be over 60.

So much for critics eh?

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Dec 7 2012, 11:48pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 11:48pm

Post #23 of 71 (548 views)
Shortcut
About the tone. [In reply to] Can't Post

Since reading interviews and seeing the trailers & posters i've feared it might have too much comedy in it. But then some people kept telling me to not fret, the soundtrack doesn't suggest much comedy yadda-yadda-yadda. I dunno what to think... That the tone is coming up as a problem for some people i don't like one bit... Unsure

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 11:52pm

Post #24 of 71 (548 views)
Shortcut
You know what, i saw that before watching that goddamn podcast. [In reply to] Can't Post

Watched it like 5 times in a row. I was so pumped! Not so anymore. What an emotional roller coaster... Unsure

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 7 2012, 11:53pm

Post #25 of 71 (530 views)
Shortcut
Excessive comedy is not [In reply to] Can't Post

A key criticism of those who have been critical.

LR

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.