Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How do the warg hunters get over the Mistry Mountains?

Nevrast
Bree

Dec 7 2012, 9:13pm

Post #1 of 18 (1081 views)
Shortcut
How do the warg hunters get over the Mistry Mountains? Can't Post

So it seems like the movie is going to feature a pack of Wargs with Orcs who track the company for the movie.

I figure that these are the same wargs and orcs who attack them at the end in Out of the Frying Pan.

So, how do they get across the Misty Mountains? Are we to presume that this big group of wargs and orcs is going single-file across a little mountain pass or through the goblin tunnels?

dave_lf
Gondor

Dec 7 2012, 9:19pm

Post #2 of 18 (626 views)
Shortcut
I'm guessing [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll see a scene where the leader of the warg-pack arrives in Golbin-town right after the dwarves escape and learns what's going on, then sets off in hot pursuit.

nobofthepony
Lorien

Dec 7 2012, 9:31pm

Post #3 of 18 (548 views)
Shortcut
The same way King Kong was hauled to NYC... [In reply to] Can't Post

Via plot hole.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 7 2012, 9:57pm

Post #4 of 18 (492 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

Should it be the same group, then over or under just about covers the options.

LR

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 7 2012, 10:52pm

Post #5 of 18 (446 views)
Shortcut
It's late and I may not be thinking straight... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but in 'The Fellowship of the Ring' (book) don't the companions of the Ring get attacked by wolves BEFORE they cross the mountains? And so far as I remember, those aren't ordinary wolves either - so maybe the mountains aren't as big a barrier as you're assuming.

Nevrast
Bree

Dec 7 2012, 10:57pm

Post #6 of 18 (409 views)
Shortcut
Maybe! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though the mountains seem to cause endless trouble every time the good guys try to cross them!

Macsen
Lorien

Dec 7 2012, 11:10pm

Post #7 of 18 (386 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

They asked one of the giants to fling them over.

Notanelvishname
Lorien

Dec 7 2012, 11:18pm

Post #8 of 18 (471 views)
Shortcut
***SPOILER*** [In reply to] Can't Post

For everyone.
Those are not speculations but real facts, so if you don't really want to know, don't read this answer.
I am just answering the question asked and will not spoil more than what is needed.

It is not explained in great details but the Goblin King send a message to Azog claiming he captured Thorin and company. So they probably came to Goblintown first and then followed the company thru the other side of the Misty Moutains.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Dec 7 2012, 11:32pm

Post #9 of 18 (422 views)
Shortcut
*MORE SPOILER* [In reply to] Can't Post

They were hunted by warg-riding orcs during the trollshaw-sequence Crazy

Vocalist in the semi-progressive metal band Arctic Eclipse

Notanelvishname
Lorien

Dec 7 2012, 11:38pm

Post #10 of 18 (403 views)
Shortcut
**STILL SPOILERS** [In reply to] Can't Post

They were hunted after the Trollshaws sequence. And yes, they are the same warg-riding orcs. Cool

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 7 2012, 11:42pm

Post #11 of 18 (347 views)
Shortcut
I think the fact they are goodies [In reply to] Can't Post

Is rather important - Similarly it would be odd to wonder how Orcs managed to traverse Mordor so easily when it was so difficult for Frodo and Sam.

But they were unlucky with the Goblins. Until recently the pass they took had been quite safe. Beorn confirms this by being surprised they went anywhere near the Goblins - clearly implying there were other, easier options.

There is little reason to suppose the Goblins would hinder the Warg pack. Tolkien specifically states that wargs and goblins often helped one another and more that the Great Goblin's clan especially hated Throin because of his history with the Moria orcs. Why would they then hinder them?

Even if you feel you want the tribes to be at odds, Tolkien furthermore states that the goblins only interfered with individuals who were unable to defend themselves - scarcely the description of our warg pack.

Finally this is very much what Tolkien describes happening to Thrain - as he is tracked by orcs and wargs all the way from West of the Shire to the eaves of Mirkwood. So one doesn't even really need to be hypothetical.

LR

(This post was edited by Lacrimae Rerum on Dec 7 2012, 11:43pm)

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Dec 8 2012, 1:05am

Post #12 of 18 (299 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of which... [In reply to] Can't Post

Re the mountains... Are east and west of middle earth seperated by the Misty Mountains or by the river Anduin?? I have been wondering this for awhile but didn't want to start a thread about it! Cool

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 8 2012, 1:14am

Post #13 of 18 (284 views)
Shortcut
Possibly both? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Misty Mountains are certainly a more formidable barrier, and the Anduin parallels the Mountains just a short way to the east.

Frito groaned. "I wish I had never been born," he said.
"Do not say that, dear Frito," cried Orlon. "It was a happy minute for us all when you were born."

HeatherEntwood
The Shire

Dec 8 2012, 1:33am

Post #14 of 18 (272 views)
Shortcut
Just Remember... Four Legs are Better Than Two. [In reply to] Can't Post

... as we've seen in The Two Towers & The Hobbit snippets, Wargs seem to have no trouble running on elevated topography.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Dec 8 2012, 2:01am

Post #15 of 18 (255 views)
Shortcut
Yes, and forearmed... [In reply to] Can't Post

is forewarned. Or something like that.

Frito groaned. "I wish I had never been born," he said.
"Do not say that, dear Frito," cried Orlon. "It was a happy minute for us all when you were born."

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 8 2012, 8:29am

Post #16 of 18 (196 views)
Shortcut
And there are passages all along the mountain [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be quite easy for Wargs go through one of these.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 8 2012, 8:57am

Post #17 of 18 (204 views)
Shortcut
But wolves live in mountains... [In reply to] Can't Post

... so why would mountains be a problem for them?

HeatherEntwood
The Shire

Dec 8 2012, 3:57pm

Post #18 of 18 (142 views)
Shortcut
*Highfives Dormouse* [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... so why would mountains be a problem for them?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.