Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Best place to sit in cinema
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 7 2012, 8:03am

Post #26 of 40 (122 views)
Shortcut
Buy my plane ticket and I'll be there! [In reply to] Can't Post

What format do you think you will see it in?

Smile

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 7 2012, 9:22am

Post #27 of 40 (118 views)
Shortcut
I hope I made the right choice! [In reply to] Can't Post

I cancelled my previous booking so I'm not seeing it in HFR. But ... I couldn't choose my seats Frown And, the projector is only 2K apparently.

Seeing it in 2D would just be the obvious choice. Why make this difficult for us?!

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 7 2012, 9:43am

Post #28 of 40 (128 views)
Shortcut
Oh no! [In reply to] Can't Post

How can you miss out seeing the purse in all it's 3D HFR glory? Cool

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 7 2012, 11:34am

Post #29 of 40 (169 views)
Shortcut
That was a typo, whoops. [In reply to] Can't Post

Instead of "not", it's supposed to be "now".

Blush

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 7 2012, 3:22pm

Post #30 of 40 (105 views)
Shortcut
On it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to see it in 2D 24fps first. I'm not a fan of 3D and I'd rather not be distracted by it the first time. I'll check out HFR 3D at a later viewing.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

kiwifan
Rohan

Dec 7 2012, 8:09pm

Post #31 of 40 (97 views)
Shortcut
Me, too, because of what Calisuri wrote in his review [In reply to] Can't Post

Stuttgart, Germany (big city, approx. 680.000 inhabitants, hence several options)

I have a reservation at a local cinema which shows films in the English original version, sometimes with subtitles; on Wednesday the 12th, next week that is, at 2 p.m. going on my own as everyone else will be at work. This will be the standard 24fps 2D version, in English, no subtitles. That is a reserved ticket but they don't do seat reservations so I'll have to be there at the very least 30 minutes early to get the kind of seat I need, namely on the edge as I'll have to get up and stand leaning against the wall every so often due to my bad back (no way can I sit for almost 3 hours straight, I need to get up after the first hour at the latest, and then alternate sitting and standing), and hopefully in the back half of the theatre. So that'll be my 'Hobbit initiation'. At 7.80 euros fairly reasonably priced.

On Saturday the 15th I have a date with two women friends who want to see it in German (their English not being good enough) and also work during the week, and are too tired to go out at night after work. For this date, I've already bought the tickets, with reserved seats of our choosing (also at the edge, and just about 3/5 in the back half of the theatre, the helpful young man in the ticket office said that's where the 3D effect is optimal for that room), in 3D and 48 fps, at a cost of 13.50 euros (because of 3D and HFR, and including disposable 3D-glasses) --- actually, we only paid 13.00 euros because we bought the tickets as soon as they came on sale in mid-November. This show will have a ten-minute break, which will be helpful since one of my friends has problems with her veins and can't sit for almost 3 hours straight. That's how it is when you get older....

I always need to see a film at least twice to absorb most of it, and of course I want to test the new technology, never having seen anything in 3D, much less HFR, so I'll be glad of a different 'second version'. I think it will be interesting to see it in two different versions, and of course I wonder whether I'll get dizzy watching it in 3D. I don't wear glasses so I hope I'll be okay.

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 7 2012, 8:15pm

Post #32 of 40 (98 views)
Shortcut
What did Calisuri say? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm avoiding most reviews; the only one I read was Garfemaio's because it had no spoilers.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

kiwifan
Rohan

Dec 8 2012, 12:14am

Post #33 of 40 (98 views)
Shortcut
this is what Calisuri said --- the spoiler-free part and the one I meant [In reply to] Can't Post

---- the following is the last bit from Calisuri's review posted on TORn on Dec. 4th, called:
'The Hobbit: an expected masterpiece in a distracting frame'

There is one BIG negative from my viewing of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. It has nothing to do with the plot, acting, score or any other aspect of the actual content of the film. It has to do with wrapping this masterpiece in the inappropriate frame of HFR 3D. It was quite simply unnecessary to saddle this film with this presentational wizardry.
And it’s something I had hoped that was not going to be the case.
In fact, I was very excited to see this new technology and experience the ‘future of film.’ I was ready for it! Even with the uproar from those crusty cinema owners last year, I figured that was a bunch of old fogeys who simply didn’t want to update their equipment. I was fully expecting to be blown away and fall in love with this next evolution in film. I felt this way right up until the opening scenes of the movie. Then it happened…
I told myself: ‘Oh Chris, your eyes will get used to it… just a bit longer.
Nope — never got used to it. I couldn’t help but think, ‘Why does this look like some highly produced BBC TV drama?‘ In fact, about every 10 minutes or so (or maybe whenever something was particularly bright on screen) I found myself being literally drawn out of Middle-earth and back into the present — the theater. And therein lies the issue. I was constantly taken out of the story and performance because my brain was distracted by the ‘bells and whistles’ on screen. I was jolted out of the content of the film and noticed the tech behind it. That is unfortunate.
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is a great movie that is saddled with this unnecessary mission to advance the future of film. So here’s my slightly controversial suggestion: Watch this film first in good ole fashioned 24fps. Then, for your second viewing, go and see it in HFR. This way your initial experience won’t be compromised by the tech and second-time-round you may actually be able to enjoy the high frame rate as well!
As an aside, I did consider that I’m simply too old for this type of presentation. I’m 38. I don’t play video games and don’t run out to see IMAX or 3D viewings of films on a regular basis. So maybe the thirteen-year-olds of the world will love it.
To summarize, rush out and see The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and enjoy the ride! As long as you bring along your inner child you’ll have a wonderful time. If you have a choice, DO NOT see it in 48fps for your first viewing.
-----
He seems to feel so strongly about it that it really influenced my decision to go and see the old-fashioned 2D-version first.
And I hope he doesn't mind my quoting him to such a large extent! Thank you Calisuri!!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 8 2012, 12:57am

Post #34 of 40 (95 views)
Shortcut
Well that just solidifies it [In reply to] Can't Post

I shall be seeing 2D 24fps first. I think HFR 3D is interesting, but I definitely do not want to be distracted on my first viewing. I personally don't believe 3D adds anything to the experience, but I'm open to being proven wrong by HFR.

Asy
The Shire

Dec 9 2012, 6:45pm

Post #35 of 40 (91 views)
Shortcut
Hmm.. [In reply to] Can't Post

usually i like to be at the very back and next to the aisle so I don't have to awkwardly waddle pass people to get to my seat. Also, if you're at the back next to the aisle and you need to go to the toilet really quickly, you can just get up and go without disturbing anyone Wink

And of course, i like to sit in the premiere seats (for an extra £1 something, it's not too bad Smile )

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 11 2012, 2:04am

Post #36 of 40 (82 views)
Shortcut
Middle row, middle seats :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately in these first few viewings, one may not have much of a choice. As time passes, then you'll have all the choice you want. I remember seeing LotR films when there were about 3 of us in the whole room :D HEAVEN!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 11 2012, 6:35am

Post #37 of 40 (64 views)
Shortcut
I love it when there is hardly anyone there [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to frequent a couple of smallish theatres, and often got to watch a movie with only one or two others, and a few times completely on my own. I would change seats regularly just for the heck of it, pretending it was my own personal theatre. One time at the end of a movie they turned off the lights and shut the doors, and I had to find my way out. I'm such a geeky credit watcher I think the staff thought there was no one left.

I normally choose seats in the middle, but pretty close to the front. I like to get immersed enough to feel ever so slightly freaked out and dizzy. Laugh

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 11 2012, 5:50pm

Post #38 of 40 (61 views)
Shortcut
I just received an email from my cinema... [In reply to] Can't Post

Saying that my new time isn't in HFR either. I give up.

imin
Valinor

Dec 11 2012, 6:40pm

Post #39 of 40 (53 views)
Shortcut
Is there any showings on other days that are in HFR? [In reply to] Can't Post

As you could go and watch it in 24fps (either 2D or 3D) on the first day, then go and see it in 48fps later on?

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 11 2012, 6:54pm

Post #40 of 40 (170 views)
Shortcut
Yup, there are viewings every 20 mins [In reply to] Can't Post

They said (in the email) the viewing after mine was in 3D HFR, but I checked the website and it says that viewing is 2D. So who knows! I'll just turn up and see what I get. Wink

Sorta like a lucky dip.Sly

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.