Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Rotten tomatoes (*waves wand)* - this now becomes the Fourth Official One Review Thread to Rule them All links to other review threads inside) - Please post reviews and related comments HERE!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Dec 7 2012, 2:50am

Post #26 of 73 (915 views)
Shortcut
review [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/going-out/film/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-adventure-review-amazing-1477569

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Dec 7 2012, 2:53am

Post #27 of 73 (856 views)
Shortcut
Erindor? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know this thread is turning into a "don't bash critics" thread, but... Erindor?

Lazy writing in general annoys me.

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Dec 7 2012, 2:55am

Post #28 of 73 (845 views)
Shortcut
i know [In reply to] Can't Post

I cringed too.

Finrod
Rohan

Dec 7 2012, 3:00am

Post #29 of 73 (859 views)
Shortcut
No dwarfs or nephews, just Erindor [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, it isnít quite as hopelessly hosed up as several reviews Iíve read lately, what with all the anti-Tolkien use of dwarfs for dwarves, or calling Frodo Bilboís nephew instead of his first and his second cousin both once removed, and many other even worse transgressions.

But they still end up calling it the kingdom of Erindor, not Erebor. Oh well, what do you expect from the Mizzler anyway?

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

Dogsofwar
The Shire

Dec 7 2012, 3:30am

Post #30 of 73 (910 views)
Shortcut
Some final grades from Rotten Tomatoes... [In reply to] Can't Post

Snatch 72%
Home Alone 54%
Gladiator 78%
Forrest Gump 71%
300 60%
Return of the Jedi 79%
Batman (1989) 71%
Top Gun 50%
Taken 58%
American Pie 61%
Cars 74%
Blow 55%
Natinal Lampoons Xmas Vacation 63%
The Goonies 63%
Labyrinth 63%

I think a few of these are enjoyed by a couple of people atleast?

(This post was edited by Dogsofwar on Dec 7 2012, 3:32am)

thoon
Bree

Dec 7 2012, 3:36am

Post #31 of 73 (855 views)
Shortcut
I agree! But there is still an issue on how they report reviews [In reply to] Can't Post

RT is great for collecting reviews, but like Metacritic their method of interpreting what counts as rotten and what counts a fresh can be debated. For example, a 3 out of 5 is translated to something around a 60%. That's hardly a fair substitution.

For one reviewer, a full five stars may be awarded to only a very select few films, so a three star review would count as a "pretty good but not quite great". But if a reviewer awards a 60%, then it's clear the film has significant issues. The two grading scales hardly align, but aggregate review sites like RT throw them all together as if they are synonymous. Now imagine there being not just two different scales (5 star and percentage), but a host of different grading scales. It's quite problematic.

My suggestion for everyone is to largely ignore the score and use Rottentomatoes as a gateway to reviews. Usually the "top critics" list has a diverse range of critiques which, when viewed together in a broader context, present a fairly accurate assessment of the film in question.

(This post was edited by thoon on Dec 7 2012, 3:37am)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 7 2012, 3:38am

Post #32 of 73 (814 views)
Shortcut
See, it's reviews like that... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that make me realize that what they don't like about the movie is EXACTLY what we're going to love about the movie. I'm delighted to hear that PJ doesn't rush through the Riddles in the Dark scene! Smile

I'm starting to realize that if the LotR theatrical cuts hadn't been such breathless, roller-coaster rides that never stopped - the critics may not have been so fond of them.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

jtarkey
Rohan

Dec 7 2012, 3:47am

Post #33 of 73 (800 views)
Shortcut
I've heard a lot of compaints about the length of LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is one of the things I love. I remember seeing FOTR for the first time and thinking half the movie took place in the shire ( I was 11, so I'm sure my perception of time was a bit off). But it made everything worth it in the end.

I really love long movies, as long as they are good. If a movie is bad and also long, it really hurts. So perhaps AUJ is too long without being good enough to merit the length? I'm really not sure what to think until next week.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

zecharas

Dec 7 2012, 4:13am

Post #34 of 73 (2592 views)
Shortcut
Roger Ebert [In reply to] Can't Post

Well The Hobbit still has the "king" of movie reviewers yet to post his review. To some people, Ebert's reviews are the only ones which merit credibility. He did give Jackson's King Kong 4 stars, a movie many believed to be sub par, overly long and stuffed with too much material. Yet it was also a movie I personally like quite a bit.

He also gave each Lord of the Rings film 3 stars, with the exception of Return of the King, which received 3.5 stars. So if you're someone who takes critics and their reviews seriously, Roger Ebert's should be interesting.

(This post was edited by zecharas on Dec 7 2012, 4:17am)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 7 2012, 4:19am

Post #35 of 73 (888 views)
Shortcut
The nice thing about Ebert... [In reply to] Can't Post

(I've mentioned this before)

...is that whether I agree with the man or not (I often don't), his writing is superb. He has a way of communicating what he views as the strengths and weaknesses of a film and I can determine from that whether I will like the film or not.

I'm not so sure he will like The Hobbit - since one of his chief complaints about LotR (despite his thumbs up) was how the films - in his opinion - minimized the roles of the hobbits in favor of men. So I'm not sure he'll be crazy about expanding the Hobbit beyond Bilbo's story. But I'm still looking forward to reading his review - he's pretty much the only film critic who I genuinely like to read.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 7 2012, 4:21am)

Elizabeth
Valinor

Dec 7 2012, 4:26am

Post #36 of 73 (759 views)
Shortcut
I concur with all those... [In reply to] Can't Post

...at least, from what I've heard from friends I trust. I had zero desire to see any of them.

RotK is 94%. I agree with that, too. And there were a few "top critics" who hated it.

I really think it's a mistake to expect any of the Hobbit movies to compete with RotK. The level of the subject matter just isn't there.

Join us NOW in the Reading Room for detailed discussions of The Hobbit, July 9-Nov. 18!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Dec 7 2012, 4:29am)

jtarkey
Rohan

Dec 7 2012, 4:26am

Post #37 of 73 (795 views)
Shortcut
King Kong was awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ used the "jaws technique" in that film. He waited to reveal Kong in all his glory, and the wait felt all the more worth it. As I said, long films are the ones that have true emotional impact. Getting to know characters, before engaging in action, is a great practice.

The same thing was done in LOTR, and most people embraced it. It worries me that more people aren't embracing that aspect of The Hobbit. It may not be a film that feels "worth it".

Forrest Gump is also very long (though it isn't part of a trilogy). That remains to be the best film I have ever seen. It has all the emotional tugs of real life, a length that makes it feel real, and characters that grow and change in the process (Jenny went from a troubled innocent youth, to a slut, to a respectable mother who realized her mistakes).

Length isn't a concern to me, it's the content within the length that is.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 4:48am

Post #38 of 73 (803 views)
Shortcut
That Mirror review [In reply to] Can't Post

called it The Hobbit: An Unexpected *Adventure* twice, once in the HEADLINE. It then went on to liken the 13 dwarves to Disney's 7 dwarves, and then somehow extended the comparison to include Galadriel as Snow White. It might just be the worst review i've read so far.

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Dec 7 2012, 7:09am

Post #39 of 73 (753 views)
Shortcut
Interesting to note that Les Miserables, a reportedly strong Oscar contender... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is currently sitting with a lower Rotten Tomatoes score than The Hobbit. Go figure.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Dec 7 2012, 7:12am

Post #40 of 73 (639 views)
Shortcut
Some classics on that list, most definitely. [In reply to] Can't Post

Home Alone and Christmas Vacation are two of the best Christmas movies ever. Sorry, but It's a Wonderful Life is just cliche and outdated in the 21st century. Definitely a product of it's time.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 7 2012, 7:13am

Post #41 of 73 (676 views)
Shortcut
What Maiarmike said. [In reply to] Can't Post

Also, look at Gladiator's score. RT, to me, is utter trash and about as credible as IMDB is.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 7 2012, 7:15am

Post #42 of 73 (669 views)
Shortcut
A similar case... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as what we've got on our hands. I think word came out of the early screenings about mass applause and rave reviews. But the thing is that a lot of the people at those screenings were probably fans of Les Miserables.

There's a big contingent of the critical community (and general audiences, for the matter) that just don't care for musicals. I honestly don't find the RT score all that surprising.

Of course, as a big fan of Les Miserables (the book & the musical) - I expect I'll love the heck out of it. Smile

- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 7 2012, 7:16am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 7 2012, 8:19am

Post #43 of 73 (599 views)
Shortcut
Home Alone! 54% [In reply to] Can't Post

But that's the ultimate Christmas film!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

herzogian
Bree

Dec 7 2012, 8:43am

Post #44 of 73 (613 views)
Shortcut
Miserables [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, but thats a musical. And critics, generaly don't like them. And i agree with them, just cant take actors serious while they are singing . All musicals should go away and vanish from this good earth!

ElendurTheFaithful
Rivendell

Dec 7 2012, 8:44am

Post #45 of 73 (585 views)
Shortcut
Ok since I've started this thread let me clear something first [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't use rancid in negative way, love this guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P9QMkm9Eew

and secondly, for people who find "retarded" offensive, i apologize. but listen to this great man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOLbuFVG0fs

Silranhir
Bree

Dec 7 2012, 8:52am

Post #46 of 73 (575 views)
Shortcut
Reviews are subjective... [In reply to] Can't Post

Only objective reviews would ever be fair and that would be impossible. The other problem with RT is that unless you use the same critics each time for every film then the system becomes unfair as you are using different opinions each time you review. The big ions will obviously get more critical attention but smaller films will not. The larger sample size you take the more fair the result.

However, again it is subjective and the people reviewing them I feel are often trying to justify their jobs now in an industry that is becoming irrelevant. Reviews were helpful 20 years go before the advent of the Internet. But now, for example with this film, if I want the opinion on the Hobbit from people who love JRRT as much as me then I will come on here to see what people think of the film.

The opinions of reviewers mean little to me. The only thing it may sway is that of the ordinary non Middle Earth fan. But in all honesty, if you don't have an interest in fantasy then you probably wouldn't bother anyway.

On an aside, Skyfall is 92% on RT, and I thought it was pretty average overall. But it got high reviews from the British press because of Bind bias.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 7 2012, 8:53am

Post #47 of 73 (577 views)
Shortcut
I beg to differ. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love musicals - on the stage and, if done well, on the screen. I won't bore you with my reasons, or my explanation of why in my opinion a good musical uniquely combines the advantages of both literature and drama because I doubt you're interested. Wink

So I'll just say - if you don't like them, you can easily avoid them and leave them to those of us who do. Don't you think it's a bit selfish to wish away another's delight just because it isn't yours?

All musicals should go away and vanish from this good earth!

Silverlode

herzogian
Bree

Dec 7 2012, 8:58am

Post #48 of 73 (621 views)
Shortcut
Critics [In reply to] Can't Post

This may sound a bit sentimental but the first en best critic is you. Only you can determine wheter you like something or not. So why do critics exist then? Do they have a use?
Yes they do. Some critics will have good arguments other will have bad arguments. You are the critic of the critic who decides wheter you choose to go with the arguments. If an argument is wrong in your eyes you don't have to brainlessly bash the critic because of it. Try to give an rational argument against it to prove the fact he or she is wrong. The question is wheter its better to read reviews before or after a movie. I think the latter. A good exercise would be to watch the movie and write a review yourself. Then you can begin reading all the reviews on the net to compare it to yours. And you'll see that some people have good arguments that maybe will change your opinion. Others will be lousy and you'll be able to say HAHAHAHA you're totally wrong. No, you'll be able to fight these arguments with your own. So bottomline, alwas stay rational and dont go bashing someone if they dont share the same opinion.

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Dec 7 2012, 9:03am)

herzogian
Bree

Dec 7 2012, 9:05am

Post #49 of 73 (555 views)
Shortcut
Musical [In reply to] Can't Post

True, I was being a bit harsh. Off course there are people who like musicals, and its their right to do so. But I''ve never enjoyed a musical in my life. As movies I simply don't understand them.I've never seen them on stage, maybe thats the best place to see them ? I like opera for instance, but it isnt the same thing.

belfalas
Bree

Dec 7 2012, 9:45am

Post #50 of 73 (515 views)
Shortcut
I think you mean Groundhog Day :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.