Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The voice of Smaug

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 1:34am

Post #1 of 10 (353 views)
Shortcut
The voice of Smaug Can't Post

Mr. Cumberbatch narrates this fantastic trailer for Star Trek 2, if he sounds anything like this for Smaug I'll be a happy camper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diP-o_JxysA

Arthur: What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: I... am an enchanter.
Arthur: By what name are you known?
Tim: There are some who call me... 'Tim'...?
Arthur: ...greetings, Tim the Enchanter.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 7 2012, 1:42am

Post #2 of 10 (130 views)
Shortcut
Well, that doesn't tell us much about the movie... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but what a deliciously dark voice Cumberbatch is putting out there!

I wonder if they'll use his voice with no digital enhancing?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 1:56am

Post #3 of 10 (134 views)
Shortcut
Indeed they really picked the right guy to voice Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the teaser, hope that nine-minute preview the IMAX folks are gonna get gets leaked on youtube. I'm a big fan of the Abrams Trek as well as the previous movies.

Arthur: What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: I... am an enchanter.
Arthur: By what name are you known?
Tim: There are some who call me... 'Tim'...?
Arthur: ...greetings, Tim the Enchanter.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 7 2012, 3:32pm

Post #4 of 10 (136 views)
Shortcut
I was blown away! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've purposefully been avoiding listening to Cumberbatch, but I didn't realize he was going to be narrating the teaser, so I watched it. But my gosh, he sounded positively perfect for Smaug. I definitely now have humungously high expectations for Smaug!

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Carne
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 4:51pm

Post #5 of 10 (110 views)
Shortcut
I love his voice, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug is very old, and even if Cumberbatch does a deep voice it still sounds like it belongs to a man in his 30s. I really hope they do some mixing, ala Treebeard.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for him voicing Smaug, but a voice like that does not fit a dragon in my opinion.

(This post was edited by Carne on Dec 7 2012, 4:53pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 7 2012, 5:08pm

Post #6 of 10 (110 views)
Shortcut
I have to disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

His voice (at least in the teaser) is smooth, methodical, suave, powerful, and cold. I could never have imagined Smaug sounding so phenomenal. I'll be disappointed in they manipulate his voice too much.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Dec 7 2012, 6:15pm

Post #7 of 10 (94 views)
Shortcut
Wow, what a descripton! [In reply to] Can't Post

You are a poet!Smile

Cold, and methodical, especially (shiver, shiver, shiver). Cool

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Dec 7 2012, 6:17pm

Post #8 of 10 (86 views)
Shortcut
What a voice! And yes, it looks great. [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved all the "Treks" on T.V. but not so much the movies, so I skipped the first one of these. I've been told that was a mistake, and now I find I'm softening. I might catch it before seeing this one (which I must see after watching this!).

Thanks!Smile

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Dec 7 2012, 6:19pm

Post #9 of 10 (97 views)
Shortcut
Blimey, didn't recognise BC's voice to begin with, very sinister tone [In reply to] Can't Post

His voice here for some reason reminds me of Jeremy Irons' voice.

"Radagast is, of course, a worthy wizard, a master of shapes and changes of hue, and he has much lore of herbs and beasts, and birds are especially his friends."-Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings.

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Dec 7 2012, 6:20pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 7 2012, 7:54pm

Post #10 of 10 (230 views)
Shortcut
Oh thank you! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I for got to add seductive. I don't remember Smaug seeming seductive, but it's a very Glaurung-esque characteristic, and I have no problem with Smaug sounding so.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.