Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New still of the Great Goblin

Carne
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 12:06am

Post #1 of 25 (1600 views)
Shortcut
New still of the Great Goblin Can't Post

From Entertainment Weekly's facebook: http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/...9701_499231926_n.jpg

sharpened_graphite
Rivendell

Dec 7 2012, 12:08am

Post #2 of 25 (830 views)
Shortcut
The colour palette and rendering of the Great Goblin... [In reply to] Can't Post

Remind me a lot of John Bauer's drawings of trolls: http://runeberg.org/jbauer/01.jpg

Wonder if they've been a conscious inspiration. :)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 12:09am

Post #3 of 25 (717 views)
Shortcut
cant [In reply to] Can't Post

wait to see gandy rip that fat greedy ball of grossness head off!

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 7 2012, 12:11am

Post #4 of 25 (742 views)
Shortcut
Why do people keep mentioning the idea of decapitation? [In reply to] Can't Post

With regards to the Great Goblin. Was there some quote on this that I've missed?

LR

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 1:10am

Post #5 of 25 (642 views)
Shortcut
I fear so [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf decapitates him Lady Lacrimae Rerum. That i didnt forget.

For a while i assumed they would change to Thorin but apparently it will be the grey pilgrim.

dave_lf
Gondor

Dec 7 2012, 1:18am

Post #6 of 25 (581 views)
Shortcut
But [In reply to] Can't Post

who said anything about decapitation? We saw his corpse fall onto the dwarves in the preview, head still attached...

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 1:24am

Post #7 of 25 (571 views)
Shortcut
Oh right [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure

Well, one can hope that was just for laughs and it shall re emerge on the deleted scenes bonus disc.Wink

Ecthelions Beard
The Shire

Dec 7 2012, 4:40am

Post #8 of 25 (431 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

that guy's gotta be the ugliest son of #$%^& I've ever seen.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 7 2012, 4:49am

Post #9 of 25 (421 views)
Shortcut
Do you know something that we do not? I haven't heard anything about [In reply to] Can't Post

The Great Goblin being dispatched in such a manner, neither in reviews, nor in clips, as we see a dead great Goblin, head in tact, in the trailers. So are you just voicing a violent desire, or have you seen or been given a report that verifies this more graphic scenario?

In Reply To
Gandalf decapitates him Lady Lacrimae Rerum. That i didnt forget.

For a while i assumed they would change to Thorin but apparently it will be the grey pilgrim.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Elutherian
Rohan

Dec 7 2012, 4:51am

Post #10 of 25 (458 views)
Shortcut
He can't cut his head off... [In reply to] Can't Post

...His dead body drops on the dwarves at the end of the second trailer, head in tact.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 5:06am

Post #11 of 25 (404 views)
Shortcut
When i replyed to Lacrimae [In reply to] Can't Post

i was thinking solely of the book. In it he is decapitated.
I forgot that on the 2nd trailer he appears dead with his head, so...

As for Thorin, beofre that 2nd trailer i , and others, discussed how it could happen that in order to further personalize the dwarven conflict with the goblins, they would make such a change.
All speculation.

The Preciousss
Bree

Dec 7 2012, 6:17am

Post #12 of 25 (368 views)
Shortcut
I wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

how that sequence will work out, since we see Gandalf standing before the dwarves for a moment and then the corpse drops down, seemingly from a great height. I wonder how Gandalf gets down there that fast.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 7 2012, 8:15am

Post #13 of 25 (331 views)
Shortcut
He isn't slain thus in the book. At least not explicitly. After Gandalf turns the bonfire into a pillar of blue [In reply to] Can't Post

burning flames and smoke, Glamdring is seen glowing, and goes "right through the Great Goblin as he stood dumbfounded in his rage." Now while, technically, it could have gone through his neck in the manner you suggest, it is just as likely that it went through his chest or into some sother vital area. He could even have been cut in half, though I don't think that is how it will be portayed either (thankfully, considering all the guts he no doubt has). If the other trailers are an indicator, the "through" will likely be a piercing rather than a slashing.

In Reply To
i was thinking solely of the book. In it he is decapitated.
I forgot that on the 2nd trailer he appears dead with his head, so...

As for Thorin, beofre that 2nd trailer i , and others, discussed how it could happen that in order to further personalize the dwarven conflict with the goblins, they would make such a change.
All speculation.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 7 2012, 8:17am

Post #14 of 25 (333 views)
Shortcut
Perfect, if you ask me [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still interested to find out what creature is on his staff - is it a dragon head?

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 7 2012, 8:28am

Post #15 of 25 (310 views)
Shortcut
He is run through in the book. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not decapitated.

Several people seem to think he is though. It's strange. I wonder where the idea comes from.

LR

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 7 2012, 8:31am

Post #16 of 25 (325 views)
Shortcut
Their own violent desires [In reply to] Can't Post

and bloodlust most likely. lol

In Reply To
Not decapitated.

Several people seem to think he is though. It's strange. I wonder where the idea comes from.

LR

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 7 2012, 9:17am

Post #17 of 25 (288 views)
Shortcut
Looks like a ram's skull to me // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 7 2012, 9:20am

Post #18 of 25 (282 views)
Shortcut
That was my thought too [In reply to] Can't Post

But the Great Goblin is a lot larger than the company, even Gandalf, and the skull looks big too.

A large ram?

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 7 2012, 9:24am

Post #19 of 25 (278 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, true [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it's a cow's head. I'm looking at this picture.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 3:10pm

Post #20 of 25 (188 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

since i enjoyed Bad TasteTongue

But seriously...i am in shock. For some reason i have believed all these years that he was decapitated.Unimpressed

I had this vivid image in my head of gandy cutting his head oiff...

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 5:05pm

Post #21 of 25 (168 views)
Shortcut
Isn't he cut in half? [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, it looks like only the top half of the dead Great Goblin lands on the platform on top of the dwarves.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 7 2012, 5:58pm

Post #22 of 25 (136 views)
Shortcut
His head is definitely there. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Rostron2
Gondor

Dec 7 2012, 6:40pm

Post #23 of 25 (127 views)
Shortcut
I dunno [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks all right. I had something else in mind. This looks like some leftover Del Toro material.

HeatherEntwood
The Shire

Dec 8 2012, 1:25am

Post #24 of 25 (101 views)
Shortcut
Great Goblin [In reply to] Can't Post

Sigh... I just hope Dame Edna's Great Goblin is not turned into some mincing Grande Panto-Orc. I'm worried he'll be played more for laughs, but we will see.

I still have a soft spot for the Rankin Bass Great Goblin. Now he was scary! Cool

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 8 2012, 8:38am

Post #25 of 25 (117 views)
Shortcut
The only criticism I have read regarding the Great Goblin is... [In reply to] Can't Post

His design. I've not read anything bad about the execution of the character.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.