Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
How to say "I'm Bored" in Elvish (or any other Tolkien language?)

WaitingForBilbo
The Shire

Dec 6 2012, 9:06pm

Post #1 of 6 (614 views)
Shortcut
How to say "I'm Bored" in Elvish (or any other Tolkien language?) Can't Post

Hi all,

I'm a children's book illustrator (as well as doing the Waiting For Bilbo webcomic with ex-Weta Digital employee Shane McEwan) and am working on a list of ways to say "I'm Bored" in different languages...not just real-life languages but also fictional.

I thought it would be fun to have I'M BORED in Elvish. Would anyone be able to help? Or/and any other Tolkien language.

The children's book is called [url "http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/16/books/review/im-bored-and-hello-hello.html"]I'M BORED[/url], by the way. :-)

Thanks for any help!

Debbie

WaitingForBilbo.com webcomic
Illustrator, I'M BORED by Michael Ian Black (Simon & Schuster BFYR): New York Times Notable Children's Book 2012
Twitter: @inkyelbows

(This post was edited by WaitingForBilbo on Dec 6 2012, 9:06pm)

Plurmo
Rohan

Dec 7 2012, 12:43am

Post #2 of 6 (313 views)
Shortcut
"I'm ladris!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Forgive me for the unwarranted joke, but sometimes Rivendell (Imladris) strikes me as the most boring elvish place ever. Try having a talk with Rivendell guys such as Lindir or as Elrond in a bad hair day and you will understand me.Smile

I hope someone more knowledgeable than me will come to your help. Evil

Elthir
Gondor

Dec 7 2012, 1:44pm

Post #3 of 6 (317 views)
Shortcut
There are many Elvish languages... [In reply to] Can't Post

... in theory, but only two that JRRT ever really concentrated on (and changed his mind about); in what way he concentrated on Quenya and Sindarin is another matter, but in any case I'm going to guess that Tolkien never invented a word in any of his Middle-earth related languages to express this.

Generally speaking it's somewhat of a misconception (among some at least) that one can be 'fluent' in any of Tolkien's languages. What people will often find on the interweb (or in the films) is really fan made Neo-elvish -- and I don't call it that to be negative, and maybe some would argue with this characterization, but I agree with the following from E.L.F:

http://www.elvish.org/FAQ.html

Of course now someone will probably post an attested Elvish word to express boredom...

... or at least express his or her boredom with this post Smile

If you want an Elvish word that could be translated 'Rivendell' however, we have Sindarin Imladris.

WaitingForBilbo
The Shire

Jan 2 2013, 2:17am

Post #4 of 6 (241 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your reply. :-)

Debbie

In Reply To
Forgive me for the unwarranted joke, but sometimes Rivendell (Imladris) strikes me as the most boring elvish place ever. Try having a talk with Rivendell guys such as Lindir or as Elrond in a bad hair day and you will understand me.Smile

I hope someone more knowledgeable than me will come to your help. Evil

Illustrator, I'M BORED by Michael Ian Black (Simon & Schuster BFYR): New York Times Notable Children's Book 2012

WaitingForBilbo
The Shire

Jan 2 2013, 2:19am

Post #5 of 6 (234 views)
Shortcut
Thanks and an apology [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks kindly for the info, and apologies for my boring post. :-)

Debbie

In Reply To
... in theory, but only two that JRRT ever really concentrated on (and changed his mind about); in what way he concentrated on Quenya and Sindarin is another matter, but in any case I'm going to guess that Tolkien never invented a word in any of his Middle-earth related languages to express this.

Generally speaking it's somewhat of a misconception (among some at least) that one can be 'fluent' in any of Tolkien's languages. What people will often find on the interweb (or in the films) is really fan made Neo-elvish -- and I don't call it that to be negative, and maybe some would argue with this characterization, but I agree with the following from E.L.F:

http://www.elvish.org/FAQ.html

Of course now someone will probably post an attested Elvish word to express boredom...

... or at least express his or her boredom with this post Smile

If you want an Elvish word that could be translated 'Rivendell' however, we have Sindarin Imladris.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 2 2013, 2:31am

Post #6 of 6 (288 views)
Shortcut
This might interest you. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a searchable list of known Sindarin words. You might be able to cobble together a phrase or two that would work. For instance, though "bored" isn't there, you could say something like "deadly waiting" or "long wait" or even "hateful wait", since all those words are on the list, or some other combination of words to form a thought. It won't be all that accurate, but it might be enough for what you're after.

Sindarin word list

Silverlode

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.