Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Peter Jackson and the Hobbit....

FinGolFin
The Shire

Nov 15 2007, 10:06am

Post #1 of 10 (553 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson and the Hobbit.... Can't Post

I MEANT THAT PETER JACKSON IS NOT AMONGST THE TOP CHOICES OF DIRECTORS. THE HOBBIT MIGHT JUST BE THE BIGGEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME. WHY RUIN IT WITH A DIRECTOR WHO DOES NOT REALLY CARE OF OR ABOUT THE TEXT. LETS PUT ASIDE HIS NAME AND FIND SOME OTHER DESERVING ONE. OTHER MOVIES OF EQUAL OR SOMEWHAT LESSER CALIBER HAVE BEEN VERY SUCCESSFUL WITH SEQUALS...AND USING DIFFERENT DIRECTORS(STAR WARS)AND WRITERS(ALIENS). THESE R JUST A COUPLE OF MOVIES;THERE R OTHERS.

kareniel
Lorien

Nov 15 2007, 2:21pm

Post #2 of 10 (268 views)
Shortcut
Well, now. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I must disagree that Peter Jackson was arrogant and didn't care about the book when he made our favorite film trilogy. I do think he must be a very confident person to take on such an expensive, titanic project . I suppose self-confidence is sometimes perceived as arrogance. PJ just doesn't seem to have the in-your-face attitude that I associate with arrogance. And I think he cares very much about the books. When translating a story or idea from one genre to another, artistic license must be taken, hopefully tastefully and tactfully. The important thing to me is that I felt the same way at the end of the films that I felt at the end of the books. For me, he captured the essence of the story which is difficult, essences being the elusive things they are.

I'm very glad you expressed your opinion on this issue. It's fun to hold these artistic debates, and they make waiting for The Announcement more bearable. (When, o when, will they make The Announcement? The tension is getting to be more than I can take! Unsure)

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Nov 15 2007, 2:58pm

Post #3 of 10 (257 views)
Shortcut
Um ... about that caps lock key [In reply to] Can't Post

Posts in all caps are hard to read.

I wouldn't mind it if The Hobbit was directed by someone other than Peter Jackson if he stayed on as executive producer and the same creative team was involved in art direction, special effects, costuming, etc. I'd like to see what someone else would do at the helm and I'm kind of afraid that PJ would make the movie too dark -- The Hobbit is very different in tone from most of LOTR and could use a lighter touch.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 15 2007, 3:11pm

Post #4 of 10 (247 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn :) [In reply to] Can't Post

You've come to the right place to find out about the progress of THE HOBBIT and everything/everyONE related to it. It's going to get exciting, that's fersher :D

*twitch*

*increases dosage of meds*

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 15 2007, 6:12pm

Post #5 of 10 (273 views)
Shortcut
Hello FinGolFin, and welcome to TORN. [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be worth your while to read the very short Terms of Service to find out the TORNetiquette for posting on the discussion boards: http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum.cgi?post=51#51

Also, please keep your posts on the same subject within a single discussion thread, rather than starting a new thread.

If you have any queries about the discussion boards, feel free to send me a private message - just click on my nickname, scroll down and click on 'Send a Private Message' and fill in the message boxes.

Cheers.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

FinGolFin
The Shire

Nov 16 2007, 3:36am

Post #6 of 10 (215 views)
Shortcut
P.J. & TLOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

I know P.J., is a good director but, he did make comments, in effect, disregarding Tolkiens perspective. Jackson ommited and changed things when he did not have too. Example(and b honest if u agree with this):towards the end of "The Return"..., when Sauron was destroyed and the black tower fell, we were supposed to have seen(as is in the book)a huge demonic-like cloud of smoke, dying. Wow! How hard that would have been. LoL. And it would have added more meaning to the story...Tom Bombadil would have added to the reality of the text;fantasy! It would have meant so much see the fullness of the fantasy. This and much more was taken because Peter Jackson did not respect the book--reasonably speaking. And I am really afreaid that P.J., would ruin meaningful parts of the story.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 16 2007, 4:09am

Post #7 of 10 (196 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn vs. Jackson? [In reply to] Can't Post

I do think he must be a very confident person to take on such an expensive, titanic project. I suppose self-confidence is sometimes perceived as arrogance.

Interesting. I don't think of Jackson, from the little I've seen of him, as particuarly arrogant; we merely interpret LotR differently. But your comments remind me that some fans of the film argue that Jackson improved Aragorn by making him less arrogant than he was in the books. Perhaps book-Aragorn is merely self-confident.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Nov. 12-18 for "A Shortcut to Mushrooms".

Rogash
Bree

Nov 16 2007, 5:31am

Post #8 of 10 (206 views)
Shortcut
Peter on the Hobbit !!! [In reply to] Can't Post

So you prefer Raimi? The Helmer of Spider-Poo ? Excuse me but i'm very hangry about this !
Peter is the best at this moment,he must come back to middle earth !

(This post was edited by Altaira on Nov 16 2007, 4:45pm)

Bestica
Bree

Nov 18 2007, 11:46pm

Post #9 of 10 (141 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It would have meant so much see the fullness of the fantasy.

Yes it would have, but who wants to sit in the theater for five hours? There are practical considerations. This isn't BBC where you can make an endless miniseries completely faithful to every aspect and nuance of the original text.

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep"

Robert Frost

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 18 2007, 11:54pm

Post #10 of 10 (189 views)
Shortcut
"completely faithful to every aspect and nuance of the original" [In reply to] Can't Post

Such a thing is not possible, even with all the time in the world.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Nov. 12-18 for "A Shortcut to Mushrooms".

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.