Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Annoyed about bad reviews
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2012, 9:45pm

Post #26 of 33 (174 views)
Shortcut
"i don't go to the movies to read." [In reply to] Can't Post

That.....is so wrong on many levels....Mad and demosntrative of a rather lazy and ignorant attitude if i may say so.

Perhaps an entire feature film concerning the adventures of Shelob the Great and Grinnha the orc would boost subtitle usage!

Wink

Ave Moria
Rivendell

Dec 6 2012, 10:01pm

Post #27 of 33 (177 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to admit, sometimes it really grinds my gears.

Most critics look down upon fantasy/adventure/blockbusters of any kind. Second, how many of these critics are actually even Rings fans, or have read the book?

The thing that bothers me the most is that joe public is going to believe this and say crap like "Oh yeah, I heard The Hobbit isn't very good!"

That's as stupid as a critic who doesn't enjoy pizza normally eating at Pizza hut and then writing a review that he didn't like the pizza. Shocker! Then, joe public says "I don't know, I heard pizza isn't very good!"

The whole thing is stupid. The worse part is, i bet my socks AUJ is a fantastic film, and the opinions of a handful of moronic critics can actually hurt the hard work of PJ and crew.

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

ShireHorse
Rohan

Dec 6 2012, 10:58pm

Post #28 of 33 (135 views)
Shortcut
I'm afraid that most of those films you have suggested [In reply to] Can't Post

would have washed over most people unless they were regular attendees at Arthouse cinemas (and, of course, most large UK cities will have one of these). Some people are "into" such films and will track them down. I'm not a big film buff and so perhaps I'm not the one to ask. But, from your listed suggestions, I would say that only Ingmar Bergman would be a known name, and not amongst young people. I saw The Seventh Seal when I was young and at university and it was being especially shown by the college - otherwise I would have missed it.

Because of our Asian community, Bollywood musicals are quite popular and my kids have sometimes been to see one with an Asian friend. And the occasional serious Asian film will get a limited screening. And I suppose that teenage fashions like Japanese manga gets a showing. But that's about it.

Other people, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dogsofwar
The Shire

Dec 6 2012, 11:17pm

Post #29 of 33 (166 views)
Shortcut
Down to 70 % on rotten tomatoes [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit could dip into low 60% or upper 50's once all is said and done. But hey, Twilight finished at 47% and every single Twilight girl I know thought it was incredible.

I'm more interested to see the reviews from the Ringers in this forum, can't wait until next week!

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Dec 7 2012, 7:18am

Post #30 of 33 (109 views)
Shortcut
This whole thing has to be upsetting for everyone involved, not just the fans. [In reply to] Can't Post

WB was banking on this being a strong Oscar contender, having submitted it for some huge number of categories. They've also spent a more money on these movies than you can count.

Peter Jackson can't be thrilled either. After spending years of his life on the project only to have it lambasted by the critics.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 7:25am

Post #31 of 33 (107 views)
Shortcut
Something tells me... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that they'll feel better when the movie opens on the 14th. Wink As long as the fans enjoy the film, it's essentially critic proof. The money will roll in, and WB won't care one bit about the critics.

...and I'm sure PJ will be happy enough so long as the fans don't feel let down (I haven't read any negative comments from the fan community that's seen the film - so I strongly suspect this won't be the case). Smile

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Danielos
Rohan

Dec 7 2012, 8:03am

Post #32 of 33 (107 views)
Shortcut
History repeats itself [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe PJ has (like Lucas) become to powerful for his own good, and nobody dares to question him anymore. We saw this padding, overindulgence and juvenile humour already in King Kong, so he doesn´t seem to learn or care about his mistakes.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 3:58pm

Post #33 of 33 (80 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, just wait 'til it opens. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's still hovering around 70-75% on RT, which is good (though, admittedly, not great), and that could easily go up (as i think it will). Also, P.J. has already said that no one expects an Oscar reception like LOTR, though they're sure to get some technical nods. And it is definitely going to make tons of money and be a big hit with the fans. So while things may not be going perfectly, like it did with the first trilogy (and no one really expected that anyway), things are going along just fine. And besides, we're going to get the rest of the trilogy no matter what.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.