Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Can't see this posted yet - 13 Minute Television Special
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2012, 7:07pm

Post #51 of 75 (1279 views)
Shortcut
It's just you [In reply to] Can't Post

Nah, it's probably others as well, but not I. Fourth time watching this thing...

Actually the LOTR stuff looks slightly muddy and aged in comparison to the nice, crisp, sharp, High Def Hobbit footage. It's a matter of taste.

Arthur: What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: I... am an enchanter.
Arthur: By what name are you known?
Tim: There are some who call me... 'Tim'...?
Arthur: ...greetings, Tim the Enchanter.

Ffnir
Rohan

Dec 6 2012, 7:13pm

Post #52 of 75 (1275 views)
Shortcut
It's been deleted ! [In reply to] Can't Post

The ones who had enough will to not look at it won't be tempted anymore, and the lucky ones who watched it will have to wait one more week to see those incredible pictures durin the film itself !

And it confirms that it wasn't meant to be seen right now.

Lauryn
Bree

Dec 6 2012, 7:13pm

Post #53 of 75 (1267 views)
Shortcut
noooo! [In reply to] Can't Post

looks like it's down now.. I watched it earlier.. but still

Nine Finger Frodo
The Shire

Dec 6 2012, 7:16pm

Post #54 of 75 (1345 views)
Shortcut
It's still on there [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC5gk9qFsDE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pisaxtEARAE

Stairs of Cirith Ungol

waaimasjien
Bree

Dec 6 2012, 7:17pm

Post #55 of 75 (1268 views)
Shortcut
It's still online. People looking for it, just look a little harder :) [In reply to] Can't Post

For example, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMIgcKRH-wk

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2012, 7:18pm

Post #56 of 75 (1242 views)
Shortcut
I still have it up and loaded [In reply to] Can't Post

So they can't take it from meeeeee!!!! My precious!

ShockedLaugh

Arthur: What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder?

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2012, 7:18pm

Post #57 of 75 (1280 views)
Shortcut
For anybody who wants to save it... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's still up at this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mluqKefrB00

You can save YouTube videos if you have Realplayer.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2012, 7:23pm

Post #58 of 75 (1228 views)
Shortcut
I havent seen it [In reply to] Can't Post

but i saved it muhahaha!Evil

Apatcha
The Shire

Dec 6 2012, 7:32pm

Post #59 of 75 (1213 views)
Shortcut
Everybody is pretty sure thats Dwalin... [In reply to] Can't Post

And now in better quality it's pretty obvious. Those axes and beard just yell Dwalin at you. Graham McTavish also mentioned he had a mohawk at some point. Now we see that it was when he was younger and fighting at Azanulbizar.

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!
So, carefully! Carefully with the plates!

Ffnir
Rohan

Dec 6 2012, 7:52pm

Post #60 of 75 (1177 views)
Shortcut
Oh great, thanks ! I'm watching it one more time ! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Dec 6 2012, 9:09pm

Post #61 of 75 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Oh right... [In reply to] Can't Post

It is isn't it.

I'm glad it's not Dain actually. It's a pretty weird mohawk. Not keen.

MediaMalable
Bree

Dec 6 2012, 9:17pm

Post #62 of 75 (1091 views)
Shortcut
Spectacular [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow. I think this has by far the best stuff we've ever seen from the film. This is the first promotional stuff I've seen that has the epic scope I'd hoped for. It puts to bed every single concern I may have had, and leaves awestruck at so many incredible visual moments.

This is exactly The Hobbit I want. AMAZING.

Nightwing
Bree

Dec 6 2012, 9:18pm

Post #63 of 75 (1112 views)
Shortcut
Erebor and Dale both look fantastic [In reply to] Can't Post

And the added structures around Dale and the Lonely Mountain are rather interesting. Walls and fortresses here and there, it appears.

Jax_Teller
Rivendell

Dec 6 2012, 9:21pm

Post #64 of 75 (1090 views)
Shortcut
Just wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Mindblowing video, if all the prologue stuff with the Dwarves (I mean holy hell, we see Thorin forging weapons apparently, the dwarves collecting mithril (I think) and all the Azanulbizar stuff (which looks insane) ) constitues what the critics are calling "padding", I'm all for it.

Can't believe they're showing so much of the dwarves prior to The Hobbit, hope this puts to bed the complaints about the three movies, Pete is going all in on this one.

Visually, just looks unbelievable, the Radagast stuff looks great as well, so colourful, seeing picking up the mushrooms, everything looks fantastic.

I think this is one of those movies where us geeks and fans will just eat it up when others are just left wondering "So what?", looks insane!

jtarkey
Rohan

Dec 6 2012, 9:35pm

Post #65 of 75 (1084 views)
Shortcut
This was INCREDIBLE!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm getting sick of this roller coaster ride of anticipation. I saw all the clips, thought they were awesome. Then I read reviews and they make it sound not awesome. Now this and I'm back to thinking it's going to be amazing!

I keep lowering my expectations and then bringing them up again. Stop messing with my head!!!

The dwarves mining looks so great. Everything in that looked great. One thing I noticed in particular, when they show Ian Holm telling the story of the trolls, and then they cut to Freeman with the trolls, it looks exactly like a young Ian. These films are going to achieve amazing continuity.

6 days!!!!!

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Dec 6 2012, 11:35pm

Post #66 of 75 (995 views)
Shortcut
Trying... [In reply to] Can't Post

Trying so hard not to watch this. Are most movie debuts this convoluted? I don't usually follow movies so closely, but I wish the launch more closely coincided with all the leaked spoilers and reviews. Unimpressed

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2012, 11:44pm

Post #67 of 75 (990 views)
Shortcut
Makes one think... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if PJ had released something closer to the Extended Editions into theaters as his final cuts, which I think a lot of us would have loved, they probably would have gotten reviews like we're seeing now for 'An Unexpected Journey'. Things that would have delighted us to no end would have been considered "padding" and "bloat" to critics. They actually said as much about the ending of RotK, when Pete arguably finally let go and just gave the fans what we wanted, instead of trimming it down for a typical audience.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 6 2012, 11:44pm)

totoro
Lorien

Dec 7 2012, 3:08am

Post #68 of 75 (931 views)
Shortcut
Very cool! nt [In reply to] Can't Post

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 3:17am

Post #69 of 75 (924 views)
Shortcut
If I remember correctly [In reply to] Can't Post

some of the dwarves, according to Tolkien, had to earn their living as blacksmiths for men in the years after losing Erobor. Doesn't surprise me they used Thorin as one... Give him a kind of look how far he has fallen feel to him which might add to people rooting for him.

The Preciousss
Bree

Dec 7 2012, 7:52am

Post #70 of 75 (903 views)
Shortcut
Loved it [In reply to] Can't Post

What I noticed is that there are quite a lot orcs and goblins that are costumes and not CGI. I have heard that all of the Goblins are CGI, but you can see a group of them walking with the dwarves in front of Greenscreen. I loved the Trollshaw making of and of course all the Azanubilzar scenes. I think we not only see Balin, Dwalin and Thorin there, but also Gloin.
Cocerning Radagast, I kinda liked his portrayal.

This is going to be so AWESOME!!! Only 5 more days:)

Marionette
Rohan

Dec 7 2012, 3:16pm

Post #71 of 75 (844 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I missed the video, so thanks for those pictures

Just awesome

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 3:46pm

Post #72 of 75 (874 views)
Shortcut
CGI goblins [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't remember where i saw it, but in a recent interview, P.J. said that when they originally shot the movie, it was with costumed actors/stunties with green head masks (for digital head replacement) as goblins, but then in post-production they replaced *the whole body* with totally CG goblins. This is what has me concerned. If they blend seamlessly, that's great, but if it looks "unreal" or too cartoony, that's another thing altogether.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 3:52pm

Post #73 of 75 (828 views)
Shortcut
The thing about this for me [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I can't remember where i saw it, but in a recent interview, P.J. said that when they originally shot the movie, it was with costumed actors/stunties with green head masks (for digital head replacement) as goblins, but then in post-production they replaced *the whole body* with totally CG goblins. This is what has me concerned. If they blend seamlessly, that's great, but if it looks "unreal" or too cartoony, that's another thing altogether.

In LOTR, I could tell the orcs were guys in suits. Really well done suits that helped me suspend my disbelief, but I could still tell. So, I weigh that when I factor in special effects. They are never going to look 100% real. The only movie I've seen even come close to this is District 9. But since I've grown up in the 80's I have a built-in tolerance for special effects. I enjoyed corny movies like Krull and The Last Starfighter even though they were hardly photo-realistic. So as long as the special effects aren't terrible, I'm okay with slightly cartoony orcs. They'll be on par with the guys in the suits. Wink

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 4:16pm

Post #74 of 75 (821 views)
Shortcut
I pretty much agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been a special effects nut since Star Wars came out in '77, so i always notice effects no matter what. And it's true, it all becomes part of the fabric of the film eventually, so that even the "bad" effects are almost enjoyable (Metropolis, King Kong '33 and Forbidden Planet are all some of my all time favorites). And no matter what anyone likes to think, every single thing in a movie, from sets to makeup to actor's performances to editing, it's all just as "fake" as CGI. But there's just something about bad CGI that annoys me a little more than bad make-up or a bad set, especially when it's not necessary, when a guy in a suit would work just as well. And don't get me wrong, i absolutley love CGI when it's done well. But when they push it too far and can't quite pull it off, and the guy in the goblin suit would have looked great, that, to me anyway, kinda sucks.

unexpectedvisitor
Rohan

Dec 7 2012, 7:01pm

Post #75 of 75 (802 views)
Shortcut
as with most things, there are pluses and cons... [In reply to] Can't Post

i'm avoiding watching too much, definitely didn't want to watch this, but on the topic of CGI goblins, i quite liked what i saw from the one scene i have watched, that clip from Goblintown. do they always look "real"? no? do they sometimes lack weight and presence? yes. so, those are some cons. but was the expressiveness of their animation fun and exciting? yes--in that sense, there is a lot more that you can can get on repeat viewings of an action scene from the CGI enemies than you would have been able to from actors in restrictive suits and make-up. i especially like the shot of the goblins' faces (highlight for spoiler) when their heads are caught in the ladder. that's the kind of fluid performance detail you just can't get under make-up and prosthetics. the goblins design definitely looks very Del Toro-based, i'm glad they were able to find a place for some of his inspiration.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.