Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Staff members of this magnificent site who have seen the movie, come hither and answer our questions. Pretty please!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Dec 6 2012, 5:40am

Post #26 of 129 (1479 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is correct, it was Cumberbatch. I never believed him when he said it, thinking he was just talking. So, actually, yea...uh...Cumberbatch was just talking. Who said there was anything like that? Not me!

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Glóin the Dark
Rivendell

Dec 6 2012, 5:43am

Post #27 of 129 (1439 views)
Shortcut
"Does nobody want to be surprised at the cinema?!" [In reply to] Can't Post

I, for one, want no surprises (in terms of the events depicted, at least).

Glóin the Dark
Rivendell

Dec 6 2012, 5:44am

Post #28 of 129 (1418 views)
Shortcut
Haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Post #29 of 129 (1446 views)
Shortcut
Sorta [In reply to] Can't Post

The comparison or metaphor doesn't work too well because with a play or life we don't have constantly shifting camera angles. So they clarity is a bit shocking.

I think the CG will win golden statues. However, I do need to see it again to decide if I believe that fully.

Finally, there is SOOOOOOOOOOO much CG in this movie that most of it will not even be noticed and only a few creatures and such will register to our brains as anything but reality. I didn't like the wargs though, for example, but without another viewing I am not sure if that is a design choice or a execution choice.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Ecthelions Beard
The Shire

Post #30 of 129 (1435 views)
Shortcut
question!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Does Gandalf use magic in this film and if so, is it equal with or to a greater extent than what we saw in any of the three original films?? I just really hope he shows more wizard in this one.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Dec 6 2012, 5:46am

Post #31 of 129 (1472 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it about the same but he wizarded in FOTR. Fought Saruman, stood against a Balrog, intimidated Bilbo, spoke friend and entered, made a light in darkness and produced magic fireworks.

He doesn't make a flying carpet or grow a unicorn or anything like that.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Dec 6 2012, 5:47am

Post #32 of 129 (1427 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I never even know if a single person bothered to read it. Cool

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Ecthelions Beard
The Shire

Dec 6 2012, 5:48am

Post #33 of 129 (1415 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

by chance anything to do with pinecones ;)

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Dec 6 2012, 5:49am

Post #34 of 129 (1484 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

I definitely disagree with the premise that the first hour is slow or boring.I think the pacing is very good.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Dec 6 2012, 5:50am

Post #35 of 129 (1453 views)
Shortcut
I know nothing about this [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug? Smaug who?

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Ecthelions Beard
The Shire

Dec 6 2012, 5:52am

Post #36 of 129 (1418 views)
Shortcut
Pinecones [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my favorite Gandalf moments involved pinecones. I think we all know what I'm talking about. I just hope it made the cut, that's all. If not, I'll live!!

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Dec 6 2012, 5:54am

Post #37 of 129 (1423 views)
Shortcut
Goodnight! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope that helped somebody, I am finished here. Angelic

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Simon
Rivendell

Dec 6 2012, 5:54am

Post #38 of 129 (1399 views)
Shortcut
I see... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for answering! I'm sure its more immersive like that and that the world on the screen is more tangible than usual! I think i will believe it! In the end i just want a good fairytale/campfire story that is immersive! I dont want another lord of the rings in the scope...there is only one and i'm ok with it! I'm pretty i will enjoy it...but i think i will resonnate more with the other two films...i have this feeling :) (if the cgi of the creatures is like the little scene in goblins town...when we see the goblins close up and the great great movement of the one who run ahead Dwalin...i will be sastisfy...this scene look so cool!!!)

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Dec 6 2012, 5:59am

Post #39 of 129 (1373 views)
Shortcut
Thanks MrCere! [In reply to] Can't Post

Appreciate it! Cool

(This post was edited by Avnar on Dec 6 2012, 5:59am)

nobofthepony
Lorien

Dec 6 2012, 6:05am

Post #40 of 129 (1370 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hearing a positive spin on it is getting me more excited to see it. Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Dec 6 2012, 6:12am

Post #41 of 129 (1375 views)
Shortcut
Happy to [In reply to] Can't Post

The message boards are, for me, home at TORn. I don't come here much now at all, but you people are my people and I was just fortunate enough to see the film early.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Simon
Rivendell

Dec 6 2012, 6:15am

Post #42 of 129 (1341 views)
Shortcut
Thanks my friend! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

You are good to us! Just before bed...just to erase all my fears...does the otherworldly cinematography stand as beautiful as with the 24 fps (in lord of the rings)? ...ok...good night to all!

Garfeimao
Rohan

Dec 6 2012, 6:51am

Post #43 of 129 (1363 views)
Shortcut
I can fill in other blanks, if you like [In reply to] Can't Post

I also saw the film in Wellington, and may be able to fill in some of the details MrCere was unable to.

So I'll go check the ones he couldn't answer and reply again soon.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

Elutherian
Rohan

Dec 6 2012, 6:57am

Post #44 of 129 (1332 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, kind sir... [In reply to] Can't Post

The one that's been bothering me lately is whether the film starts with Bilbo, and then goes into the Erebor/Smaug backstory... or visa versa.

Reviewers have had it both ways now and it's annoying me to no end.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Garfeimao
Rohan

Dec 6 2012, 7:30am

Post #45 of 129 (1336 views)
Shortcut
No, not ... [In reply to] Can't Post

40 minutes of eating. As some critics laughed at all the different endings to ROTK, we know they were necessary. Same with the opening of The Hobbit. Heck, I'd be much happier if the opening in The Shire had lasted longer, but the Journey had to start at some point.

(Subject line edited for spoiles)

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 6 2012, 11:38am)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2012, 7:46am

Post #46 of 129 (1298 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, it's been great to read reviews and comments by fans. One of the critics reviews that I read even said they still felt Return of the King should have been cut after the coronation. Crazy

I've always been happy that the LotR trilogy appealed to everybody, from the biggest fan to the most cynical critic - but, sometimes, I come across some comments that make me wonder if they even get Tolkien at all. Tongue

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 6 2012, 7:51am

Post #47 of 129 (1335 views)
Shortcut
Two key questions. Well, 3. [In reply to] Can't Post

Do we see Gandalf's magic at work in a manner consistent with the novels?

And, how drastically was Dwarven history re-edited? Do the Dwarves still win their great war against the goblins/orcs, and if so, how does the film then manage to ignore The Balrog, the only true reason the dwarves do not attempt to retake Moria (and the reason they were driven from it at the start) and still explain the dwarves forsaking of Khazad-Dum (Moria), (if, indeed, they do entire overlook the role of Durin's Bane in the fate of Durin's folk).

Lastly, how bad is the violence? A lot of people intend, hell or highwater, to take their children. . . because this is The Hobbit after all. How much eye covering will likely be required?

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 6 2012, 7:57am

Post #48 of 129 (1293 views)
Shortcut
As is generally the case with surprises, my dear interwebs friend, everyone wants them. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

but only when they are pleasant. lol. These questions are intended to safeguard against disappointment, as much as anything. Better to have a pleasant surprise spoiled, than to be surprised by a wrenching disappointment. Unimpressed

In Reply To
Do we see the mounted Rivendell warriors fight?

Does nobody want to be surprised at the cinema?!

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Dec 6 2012, 7:58am)

Ecthelions Beard
The Shire

Dec 6 2012, 7:58am

Post #49 of 129 (1324 views)
Shortcut
It's been confirmed... [In reply to] Can't Post

by an online reviewer (I read the review myself but forget which one) that the film opens exactly like 'fellowship' with 'the hobbit' followed by a prologue of the dwarven history and destruction of Dale. Then we fade into 'an unexpected journey' with old Bilbo and Frodo.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 6 2012, 8:01am

Post #50 of 129 (1299 views)
Shortcut
Regarding the wargs. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Really? Everything I've seen of them pleases me so much more thsn the TTT ones did. They really look like monstrous, demonically possessed wolves here, on the verge of being wicked werewolves, rather than hideous, hybrid hyena. I am very thankful for that change, just from the clips that have been shown.

In Reply To
The comparison or metaphor doesn't work too well because with a play or life we don't have constantly shifting camera angles. So they clarity is a bit shocking.

I think the CG will win golden statues. However, I do need to see it again to decide if I believe that fully.

Finally, there is SOOOOOOOOOOO much CG in this movie that most of it will not even be noticed and only a few creatures and such will register to our brains as anything but reality. I didn't like the wargs though, for example, but without another viewing I am not sure if that is a design choice or a execution choice.

(Subject line edited for spoilers)

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 6 2012, 11:43am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.