Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Colbert out-Tolkiened Boyens???!!!

Stubaan
The Shire

Dec 6 2012, 6:38am

Post #1 of 16 (504 views)
Shortcut
Colbert out-Tolkiened Boyens???!!! Can't Post

Did anyone else watch Tuesdays episode of The Colbert Report? He and Freeman discussed how Colbert won a Tolkien quiz-off against Boyens while visiting the set in New Zealand.

I know Colbert is a fan, but this is astounding. Boyens has a professional career based on Tolkien's work.

I didn't think it was possible for me to like Colbert more than I already do.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 6 2012, 7:55am

Post #2 of 16 (221 views)
Shortcut
I don't think a trivia quiz is the best way of testing someone's knowledge of Tolkien ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 6 2012, 10:24am

Post #3 of 16 (249 views)
Shortcut
How did Colbert say it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just before the geek-off, he said to Philippa, "Prepare yourself... because I am like an athelete who has trained his entire life for a race he never knew was coming."

Yeah... I love this guy!

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

FantasyFan
Rohan

Dec 6 2012, 2:00pm

Post #4 of 16 (227 views)
Shortcut
It probably depends on the questions [In reply to] Can't Post

Colbert is a very enthusiastic student of the Silmarillion. If the questions were Silmarillion-focused and somewhat obscure, I'm sure he has more trivial details memorized than most, maybe even Boyens.

The second point to ponder is that Boyens has been focused very intently for years on those aspects of the legendarium that were/are/are going to be featured in the films. With that type of concentration, possibly a few other details may have slipped. If you're not going to discuss the history of the Rohirrim, then it won't matter if you choose not to remember that Fréaláf was the son of Hild, Helm’s sister. However, if you read fanfiction, you may be very familiar with her family. (Not to say Colbert reads fanfiction. He's never mentioned it, to my knowledge. But he might.)

A trivial side note, but I found it funny. When I googled "legendarium" to make sure I spelled it right, the first link I got was to "Tolkien's Legendarium," a collection of critical essays on The History of Middle-earth edited by Verlyn Flieger and Carl F. Hostetter. Does google know my search engine patterns, or what?

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

sherlock
Gondor

Dec 6 2012, 6:09pm

Post #5 of 16 (216 views)
Shortcut
I like when he showed that pic [In reply to] Can't Post

of himself as a teen & said something along the lines of: Hey, middle school girls, I'm not just a geek, I'm the king of the geeks!" & then shows the same pic with Aragorn's crown on it. Too funny! I like that he can laugh at himself.

Stubaan
The Shire

Dec 6 2012, 10:40pm

Post #6 of 16 (201 views)
Shortcut
he said it wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, that was a hilarious quote!

I have noticed, however, that his mispronounces Smaug and Sauron, treating the dipthong like our own "au" in english rather than Tolkien's intended pronunciation ("ow" - not that I need to tell any of you that!! ;-)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 6:35am

Post #7 of 16 (149 views)
Shortcut
That was hilarious! [In reply to] Can't Post

And then he looks at the picture of young Colbert and say something like, "Hang in there! In 35 years it will all pay off." Laugh It's so much fun watching him have so much fun.

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 6:48am

Post #8 of 16 (151 views)
Shortcut
I can believe it [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially after watching Thurday's episode with PJ. Smile Colbert asked PJ a question (sorry, I forget what it was) and PJ responded that Colbert would probably know better than he. Then Colbert goes off on a long detailed explanation, answering his own question. Laugh

It was a fun week. Loved the sequence following the opening theme with the dwarf-like chanting and the Tolkien-esque map of the US, focusing in on Manhattan. I only noticed on the second night that the Wall Street area was Smaug's lair. Laugh And even in the standard Colbert opening, they slipped in Tolkien related words among the usuals. I didn't notice on Monday and Tuesday, but Wednesday there was Elendil, and Thursday was precious. Smile

Of the guests, Sir Ian was my favorite. He was so gracious and charming. Loved his cameo on Tuesday night as well. Laugh

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 6:52am

Post #9 of 16 (134 views)
Shortcut
:D It must have been geek heaven for him. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 7 2012, 6:56am

Post #10 of 16 (155 views)
Shortcut
Did you notice... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that the melody accompanying the opening map was actually the "Misty Mountains" music from the Rankin/Bass "The Hobbit" cartoon! Laugh I knew I recognized it, but knew it wasn't from the films - then it hit me!

So funny. Cool

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 7 2012, 7:55am

Post #11 of 16 (157 views)
Shortcut
No, I didn't [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's been a while since I've watched the Rankin and Bass cartoon. I'll have to look for it on YouTube and then compare. Smile Thanks for pointing that out. Now it makes me appreciate the effort Colbert and company put into this week even more.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 7 2012, 8:06am

Post #12 of 16 (146 views)
Shortcut
It may not... [In reply to] Can't Post

...be exact, but it's definitely modeled after it. You have to love how geeky he is. Cool

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Tweezers of Thu
Rivendell

Dec 7 2012, 1:29pm

Post #13 of 16 (139 views)
Shortcut
Map of Mordhattan [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the parody map! Here's the link to the intro of The Colbert Report used for Hobbit Week:

The Pundit or Colbert and Back Again

If one is familiar with the NYC boroughs, the map of Mordhattan and its neighborhoods is pretty amusing.

New Jersey - Here be the cave troll Chris Christie (that the NJ gov.)

The Queen's Realm with Mines of Astoria (the borough of Queens)

Brook Lands (Brooklyn) and Hipster's Deep (Park Slope)

Then the neighborhoods of Mordhattan (Heh, Manhattan as a glitzy, bustling Mordor sounds about right.)

Little Rivendell (Little Italy)

Smaug Street (Wall Street)

Green Witch Village (Greenwich Village)

Angband's Kitchen (Hell's Kitchen)

The Muttonpacking District, (Meatpacking District)

The Upper Waith Side (Upper West Side)

Central Mirk (Central Park)

Punditton (the studio where the Colbert Report is filmed, Hell's Kitchen neighborhood.)

The Square of Time (Times Square). Look closely at the latter, and you can see the Great Eye that watches over midtown Mordhattan.

A lake is the landscape's most beautiful and expressive feature. It is Earth's eye; looking into which the beholder measures the depth of his own nature. ~~ Henry David Thoreau

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 7 2012, 5:58pm

Post #14 of 16 (180 views)
Shortcut
He does the same with [In reply to] Can't Post

Gollum. He says GO-LUM. I think it's like many people (including me) who are used to saying it their own way after reading for years before many other references were out them. I like to say Bifur as Biff-fur... but many say it with the i long... Byefur or Biff-oooor or Byefoor. Drives a hobbit MAD! ;)

sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 7 2012, 9:37pm

Post #15 of 16 (128 views)
Shortcut
These names are pronounced differently in lots of other media, as well [In reply to] Can't Post

The radio dramas, for example... and the cartoons.

I don't think it's a slight on anyone's knowledge base if they don't pronounce something like any of us would expect them to pronounce it. In fact, I think it's bit snobby to correct someone unless they get the name wrong completely. A bit Hermione... LevioSA.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 8 2012, 2:51am

Post #16 of 16 (178 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for listing all of the landmarks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the map, but it sweeps by so quickly, I miss a lot. I usually just catch Smaug's Street (Brilliant!), Green Witch Village (LOL), and Hipsters Deep.:D

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.