Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Do's and Don'ts of watching a LOTR marathon in the cinema

Chopsta123
Gondor

Dec 6 2012, 1:39am

Post #1 of 19 (1546 views)
Shortcut
Do's and Don'ts of watching a LOTR marathon in the cinema Can't Post

Im totally stoked to be watching the Rings Trilogy in the cinema after so many years of DVD-sized Middle-Earth. Unfortunately they dont do reruns here like they do in the US.
I seem to remember some people having a bad experience with it so I'm wondering, are there any good tips to know before going on a 9-hour movie from someone who has done that before? Should I bring a bag of energydrinks or chew on coffeebeans? What's a must-have?

And who else is going to do the same before the Hobbit?

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2012, 3:08am

Post #2 of 19 (408 views)
Shortcut
I didn't have any trouble staying awake [In reply to] Can't Post

But I've always been a bit of a night owl. But even if you're not a night person, the excitement of the event and of all those around you make falling asleep mid-marathon unlikely. At least less likely than you might think. Some caffeine might help if you're not used to staying up late, but too much caffeine might make you fidgety. For me, sitting for nine hours was more of a problem than staying awake. Therefore, I would suggest getting up, moving around and stretching between films. I didn't bother between FOTR and TTT and I really regretted itShocked I saw the marathon in Poland where it is permissable to bring in outside food and drink (maybe it's the same in Germany?), so many viewers went on a McDonalds run between films. I think it was a good idea to get out and get fresh air and stretch ones legs, but eating heavy greasy food...probably not so muchCrazy Even the small amount that I snacked on lay pretty heavily on my stomach while just sitting there.

Anyway, watching all three films back to back, on the big screen with fellow Tolkien fans is a wonderful experience. Have fun!

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 6 2012, 3:09am

Post #3 of 19 (466 views)
Shortcut
Dos and Don'ts [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless you totally hate your theater, don't smuggle in food. They are putting themselves out there showing the trilogy and I think it's good manners not to stiff them on snacks. I know that theater food is expensive and/or not good. But if they are doing it right, they should either offer better food for something like this or give you enough time to go out to buy food. Ask. Tell them you have a medical condition that requires you eat good food regularly. (we all do.. the human body requires it) Ask if they will have decent food available or if they will allow you to get food from a nearby restaurant.

That said, I took a small bag of peanuts and pleaded hypoglycemia and the theater I went to (who searched bags for food) let me have them. They might not kick at a small amount of chocolate covered espresso beans. Try putting them in a bottle intended for aspirin or antacids, maybe.

Don't buy the jumbo drinks. Unless you have scenes in the movies that you don't mind running to the bathroom for.

Bring something you can drape on your chair to 'claim' it during breaks but you won't mind losing if some loser steals it.

Be prepared for the theater to be cold. Many are. But layer so you can adapt if it gets too warm.

My own personal - do. Find a few spots you won't miss terribly and nap. But that's just me. I always found a 3-6 minute scene where I let myself drift into doziness. I figured the movie would wake me up before long with an increased urgency in music or dialog or sound effects.

You should make sure gramma sees this thread. She'll probably have lots of suggestions. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2012, 5:41am

Post #4 of 19 (412 views)
Shortcut
If you have normal to very good hearing [In reply to] Can't Post

a set of earplugs or tissue to periodically stuff in your ears might be useful. You might say, "It would interfere with the experience" (which it does to some extent), but after years of being in control of the volume on the TV to watch them, it was like an assault on my eardrums when the orcs, wargs, and Nazgul showed up in the theatre again. Deafening. 9 hours of super sound without some way to control it would be too much for me, but maybe that's just me and my ears, which I've been careful to protect from loud music over several decades.Wink

What Zarabia and Magpie said otherwise. Definitely walk around between films; think long-haul flight seating.

Gawd, I sound like an old fogey!Evil
You'll enjoy it, believe me, immersed in Middle-earth.

Chopsta123
Gondor

Dec 6 2012, 9:44am

Post #5 of 19 (388 views)
Shortcut
in Germany they dont like it when someone brings in food... [In reply to] Can't Post

but they dont really look for it and search your bags either. Will keep the earplugs in mind ;-)

Thanks everyone for the useful advice. I'm sure I'll be having a blast!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 6 2012, 11:48am

Post #6 of 19 (370 views)
Shortcut
Bomby's first LOTR Marathon..is Saturday! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully in the Same theatre that Bomby will see
IT..at Midnight later in the Week.
TommyTunefull..has about 30% hearing loss
(Industrial deafness)

Yet. Thinking after FOTR..
might be able to Move for TTT
Then again... For ROTK?
BOMBY thinks... Using my Cane
for getting up and down stairs might allow
youngsters...to be Kind..to an old man?

Bomby. needs to visit
ME again so.
Bomby
Can let
Go...Of Goldberry

(She'll be sitting. On my shoulder
kissing my.
ear..along with Eileen Moran..& Karen Wynn.)Heart

weaver
Half-elven

Dec 6 2012, 5:09pm

Post #7 of 19 (320 views)
Shortcut
get up and walk around on the breaks... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can sit for long hours at a stretch, but I thought we'd have to call the Jaws of Life to get poor Mr. Weaver out of his seat afterwards! (And even if you can sit that long, it's not good to do that, at least put your feet up when you can!)

And do plan something to do afterwards to help you process/unwind -- like walking under the stars, if you can manage that. It's like eating a very fine and heavy meal -- you need time to digest it when you get up from the table!

My only other recommendation is -- Enjoy!

We saw the films in Toronto many years ago now -- it was fun meeting a few TORn folk and being in an audience that was all fans. Seeing the films all together and with like-minded folks is absolutely the best way to experience them...

Please share a report back to us afterwards -- have fun!

Weaver

weaver
Half-elven

Dec 6 2012, 5:11pm

Post #8 of 19 (292 views)
Shortcut
Stop back after the show and tell us about it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you'll find you'll be in very company at a marathon -- it's mostly fans who go, and they are a rather considerate bunch --they'll look out for you, I think as well as be good people to share the experience with (along with Goldberry, of course :).

Enjoy and let us know about it when you get back!

Weaver

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2012, 5:37pm

Post #9 of 19 (319 views)
Shortcut
Have a great time in Middle-earth, too, Bomby. [In reply to] Can't Post

And it isn't really a cane. More like a wizard's staff, wouldn't you say?
SmileWink
Enjoy!

Chopsta123
Gondor

Dec 6 2012, 10:17pm

Post #10 of 19 (278 views)
Shortcut
Enjoy it I will! [In reply to] Can't Post

Will report back for sure!

In Reply To
Please share a report back to us afterwards -- have fun!

(This post was edited by Chopsta123 on Dec 6 2012, 10:17pm)

lyndomiel
Rivendell

Dec 7 2012, 12:05am

Post #11 of 19 (315 views)
Shortcut
9 hours - more like 10 1/2 for EEs [In reply to] Can't Post

I plan to do a lot of stretching tonight and tomorrow in preparation to keep pain levels to a minimum. Plus - I'll be sure to have a bit of Advil with me in case the aches become too much! My theater is only having 20 minutes between films - so I won't be watching the credits for FOTR and TT. I will be walking or standing during the entire interval.

Luckily - my theater does not seem to mind outside food. People bring stuff from Costco and Panera all the time - but overeating is definitely not recommended. Caffeine is good - if you can get good coffee!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Dec 7 2012, 7:25pm

Post #12 of 19 (308 views)
Shortcut
Don't snore to loudly as it bothers the Elves! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Dec 7 2012, 7:25pm)

Chopsta123
Gondor

Dec 7 2012, 10:57pm

Post #13 of 19 (278 views)
Shortcut
hehe good advice. [In reply to] Can't Post

especially the Mirkwood kind ;D

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 8 2012, 3:11am

Post #14 of 19 (300 views)
Shortcut
pssst. You're all semi-famous [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all, don't shoot me! Laugh

I wanted to prepare a story for the Home Page to remind people about the Trilogy marathon, and was searching the boards for the various theaters/locations, when I stumbled upon this gold mine! Instead of a boring, dry story reminding people to go, I decided to quote those of you who had advice. You'll be doing a great service for many people out there who are preparing for the long haul (fun, yes, but long).

Read your comments here and enjoy the marathon if you're going!! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 8 2012, 5:48am

Post #15 of 19 (229 views)
Shortcut
I notice you didn't offer my advice to nap [In reply to] Can't Post

lol

:-)

seriously, though.. I nap!

When I first read weaver's suggestion to find a way to unwind, I was reminded of the year I came home from the trilogy showing to find the LOTR themed South Park playing on the tv. It was a bit unreal.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 8 2012, 6:07am

Post #16 of 19 (233 views)
Shortcut
Cool, cool, cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I *do* feel semi-famousLaugh I'll have my people call your people, we'll do lunch. Cool But seriously, thanks!

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Dec 8 2012, 5:40pm

Post #17 of 19 (217 views)
Shortcut
And here we thought [In reply to] Can't Post

we were just having a cozy little chat amongst the 300 of us. Well.... what's a few hundred more? Laugh

Y'all have a good time!

ForestPark
Rivendell

Dec 9 2012, 2:43am

Post #18 of 19 (329 views)
Shortcut
My local cinema is offering food and drink deals [In reply to] Can't Post

but after cheap hot dogs, popcorn and soft drinks maybe preimptive Gas X or Beano is a good idea esp if you plan on napping .Smile

Chopsta123
Gondor

Dec 9 2012, 5:48pm

Post #19 of 19 (354 views)
Shortcut
it was the most fun I had for a long time, probably ever, watching LOTR. [In reply to] Can't Post

total length incl. trailers and intermissions and credits was 13 hours :D
but they showed the Hobbit trailer, which I am so thankful for since I never saw it in the cinema before!

To the films themselves, It is so much more enjoyable to see the movie with fans. Everytime there was a funny bit there would be people laughing which in turn made you laugh as well, so that was enjoyable. The only time it distracted from the movie was when people would chuckle at parts not initially intended to be funny like "They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard" or "One does not simply walk into Mordor".

Theres no doubt that the cinema is the way to watch these movies. The amount of detail you get is not camparable. I was blown away by the sound, unfortunately I forgot to take earplugs with me. so the final climax of ROTK was abit overwhelming.

If anyones interested, I ate a salty popcorn, pack of M&M's during the first 2 films and a bottle of water for the third, which reduced the toilet issue but was a bit dehydrating as I got a headache by the end.

So my tips:
popcorn is a good idea but
dont go without any water
bring earplugs
bring a pillow
bring something against headaches

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.