Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Staff members of this magnificent site who have seen the movie, come hither and answer our questions. Pretty please!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2012, 12:52am

Post #1 of 129 (3405 views)
Shortcut
Staff members of this magnificent site who have seen the movie, come hither and answer our questions. Pretty please! Can't Post

Many want to be spoiled. You can answer our questions. Please help us onering-san, you're our only hope.

Arthur: What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: I... am an enchanter.
Arthur: By what name are you known?
Tim: There are some who call me... 'Tim'...?
Arthur: ...greetings, Tim the Enchanter.

Ave Moria
Rivendell

Dec 6 2012, 12:55am

Post #2 of 129 (2130 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hear our plea!

-In the Darkness, a torch we hold-

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 6 2012, 1:55am

Post #3 of 129 (2125 views)
Shortcut
I'll put the word out, but everyone here is absolutely swamped right now [In reply to] Can't Post

Many staff members were either at the premier or helping support our coverage; news is coming faster than we can post it, the boards are crazy, the other parts of the site are crazy and we're in full-steam planning mode for the Oscar Party. That, and we all do *try* to have personal lives (contrary to what our families and friends might say Laugh) and are also getting ready for the holidays too.

That said, I'll put out the word, but if no one comes by, please don't think they're purposely holding stuff back.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Dec 6 2012, 1:56am

Post #4 of 129 (2047 views)
Shortcut
Great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to wait until the 26th and am getting a little jaded haha! Cool

P.s - Ave Moria, that is a great av!

(This post was edited by Avnar on Dec 6 2012, 1:57am)

BlackCountry
Rivendell

Dec 6 2012, 3:08am

Post #5 of 129 (1997 views)
Shortcut
I extended my stopover.... [In reply to] Can't Post

....in Auckland for a week specifically so I can see the Hobbit because I didn't want to wait 'til Boxing Day in Oz lol!! Would be nice to stay in the US an extra week instead though.... ;)

I do not want what it is not mine.... I only want what comes from within....

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2012, 3:43am

Post #6 of 129 (1947 views)
Shortcut
No problem, just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Arthur: What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder?

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 6 2012, 4:17am

Post #7 of 129 (1915 views)
Shortcut
Of course not [In reply to] Can't Post

I just don't want to get people's hopes up.

The word has gone out. We'll see if anyone answers the call (though it might not be until tomorrow by this time of night).

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Dec 6 2012, 4:22am

Post #8 of 129 (1970 views)
Shortcut
Altaira called, how can I help? [In reply to] Can't Post

I may choose not to tell certain things but you can ask and I will use my best judgement.

My spoiler free review gives my opinion some perspective although I get the feeling our members here don't venture to the front page all that often. Will check back in 15 minutes to see if there are questions.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

(This post was edited by MrCere on Dec 6 2012, 4:27am)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2012, 4:29am

Post #9 of 129 (1990 views)
Shortcut
I didn't have any questions, so I compiled some from another thread [In reply to] Can't Post

here:
http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread

How was the pace of the film?

Is there a scene with Gandalf visiting a child Bilbo?

Is the talking purse in or out?

2. If the Gandalf/Thrain confrontation is not in, how is it explained that Gandalf got the key?
3. Is Azog undead?
4. Do we see Bolg? Does he have a beard or is it a Dwarven scalp he wears?
5. Is the Dwarven History intact or has it been altered?

- how does it end - the eagles fly through the night, or do they arrive at the carrock.

- do we see much of dol guldur, or only the glimpse with radagst walking over the bridge in the tv-spot.

- where are the nazgul-crypts? somewhere near the trollshaws, or maybe agmar

- how much do we see of erebor and the dwarf-kingdom under the hill - do we see thorins kingdom in the blue mountains as well?

Do we see the witch king tombs here, cause we see gandalf in trailers walking around in the darkness, witch suppose to be the tombs..Is it in the movie?

Could you explain how the film begins? Is it right that the prologue is narrated by Bilbo and concerns the Dwarves and the Dragon? How does this segue into the story of the young Bilbo?

Could you explain how the film ends? How much can be seen when Smaug opens his eye? How do we get into his lair (e.g., is there a shot of the mountain from outside beforehand, or a moving shot passing from the exterior through some tunnel into the lair?)?

If there are any repeats here sorry I just quickly cut and pasted them.

(This post was edited by Tim on Dec 6 2012, 4:33am)

Simon
Rivendell

Dec 6 2012, 4:30am

Post #10 of 129 (1928 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello...can you tell us more about the 48 fps...i dont understand the two opposites sides of reaction...i want to love it...i hope to love it! A fantasy movie from Peter Jackson who look more real...more vivid...how can it be a bad thing? Does the vfx are really good? it does seem that way! Does the cinematography look good too? Of course its Andrew Lesnie here...does the props look real...must be...we talking about Weta! I just don't understand...why some peoples says its like watching a cheap video like if it was an uncle who have filming a Christmas party and show it to the family by the end of the event...hmmmm...i want to see the 48 fps and want to like it...but i'm a little afraid :(

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2012, 4:31am

Post #11 of 129 (1911 views)
Shortcut
And I think Daniel will love you forever for answering the talking purse one. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 6 2012, 4:33am

Post #12 of 129 (1993 views)
Shortcut
Good grief [In reply to] Can't Post

You guys are like piranhas.Laugh Crazy

MrCere, you're a saint!

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 6 2012, 4:46am)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2012, 4:34am

Post #13 of 129 (1886 views)
Shortcut
And thanks! I enjoyed your review. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Dec 6 2012, 4:35am

Post #14 of 129 (1902 views)
Shortcut
Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks in advance!

Who is the character that mutters a "cringe worthy" remark as they are dying, and what does he say?
Does Azog look "real" so to speak -or does he look stupid being all cgi?
Is the film comedy over the top?
In what capacity do we see Thranduil?
Sons of elrond?
Do we see the mounted Rivendell warriors fight?

Cool

Simon
Rivendell

Dec 6 2012, 4:36am

Post #15 of 129 (1888 views)
Shortcut
Tim wants to know precious... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tim have a great appetite...i respect that! Tongue

BeornBerserker
Lorien

Dec 6 2012, 4:37am

Post #16 of 129 (1970 views)
Shortcut
Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there any mention of does Gandalf foreshadow Beorn in any way?

nobofthepony
Lorien

Dec 6 2012, 5:00am

Post #17 of 129 (1915 views)
Shortcut
Is the first hour [In reply to] Can't Post

As tediuos as some rewiewsare making it? o they literally spend 40 minutes eating dinner? Are there flashbacks or anything to move things along?

(Edited to put spoilery items in the body of the post as opposed to in the subject line).

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 6 2012, 5:20am)

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Dec 6 2012, 5:21am

Post #18 of 129 (1979 views)
Shortcut
Some answers, kinda [In reply to] Can't Post

How was the pace of the film?

Well paced.

Is there a scene with Gandalf visiting a child Bilbo?

No.

Is the talking purse in or out?

Do you mean did they take it out of a pocket so it was out or do you mean did they leave it in the troll's pocket so it was in? Think about Jackson's Middle-earth and ask yourself if this would work in the film. I believe it remained in a troll pocket.

2. If the Gandalf/Thrain confrontation is not in, how is it explained that Gandalf got the key?

Verbally.

3. Is Azog undead?

No. And say Ah-zog, not AYE-zog to get yourselves ready.

4. Do we see Bolg? Does he have a beard or is it a Dwarven scalp he wears?

I didn't see Bolg so I am not allowed to say.

5. Is the Dwarven History intact or has it been altered?

Altered but not too drastically. A couple of details that I wished were left as written were not, particularly concerning some dragon.

- how does it end - the eagles fly through the night, or do they arrive at the carrock.

First, why did so few believe me when I said this was the end of the movie months ago? Sometimes (only sometimes) I do know what I type about. To be perfectly honest, this isn't clear to me but I do
know they landed and I guess it was the carrock. My mind was a whirling at this point so I wasn't focused on that.

- do we see much of dol guldur, or only the glimpse with radagst walking over the bridge in the tv-spot.

More, but not extensive.

- where are the nazgul-crypts? somewhere near the trollshaws, or maybe agmar

I remember the design but the geography wasn't super clear or important to me at the time. Typing that out I think I just remembered. How does Dol Guldur sound?

- how much do we see of erebor and the dwarf-kingdom under the hill - do we see thorins kingdom in the blue mountains as well?

We see extensive dwarven kingdom shots but not in the blue mountains that I recall or that was clear to me.

Do we see the witch king tombs here, cause we see gandalf in trailers walking around in the darkness, witch suppose to be the tombs..Is it in the movie?

This is a question followed by a statement or explanation and then another question. The question makes some assumptions that are not accurate. But, yes.

Could you explain how the film begins? Is it right that the prologue is narrated by Bilbo and concerns the Dwarves and the Dragon? How does this segue into the story of the young Bilbo?

I choose not to be detailed about this. I really advise letting some things come to you as a viewer and this part is one of those. It was handled very well, better than I would have guessed.

Could you explain how the film ends? How much can be seen when Smaug opens his eye? How do we get into his lair (e.g., is there a shot of the mountain from outside beforehand, or a moving shot passing from the exterior through some tunnel into the lair?)?

I hate that this much has been revealed and I shake my fist at those who did the revealing. Better for the film-maker and the viewer to be surprised here. (I wished for this almost shot-for-shot at a Comic-Con presentation and Warners was in the room . . . but I digress.) Rather than an answer, ug, who revealed this?! The assumptions that follow the questions are on the right track and I will say no more.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Dec 6 2012, 5:22am

Post #19 of 129 (1908 views)
Shortcut
Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

Was Theodin foreshadowed in FOTR?

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Glóin the Dark
Rivendell

Dec 6 2012, 5:25am

Post #20 of 129 (1841 views)
Shortcut
Question [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it true that the film ends with a shot of Smaug's eye opening? If so, how much of him can be seen? How do we get into his lair (e.g., is there a shot of the mountain from outside beforehand, or a moving shot passing from the exterior through some tunnel into the lair?)?

Is there a visual flashback to Bilbo's childhood involving Gandalf's fireworks (or some other display of his recreational pyrotechnic skills) as the soundtrack suggests?

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Dec 6 2012, 5:27am

Post #21 of 129 (1838 views)
Shortcut
Well, like this [In reply to] Can't Post

It is really different. Really different.

If you lived inside a cabin ALL your life and you only looked out through the window all your life and then one day the glass was gone, you would think things looks really strange and rather than say, "Wow that tree is beautiful" you might instead say to all the other people trapped in the cabin with you:

"Wow, this looks really weird!"

You might not like what you saw because for 80 years you ONLY looked through the filter of a window. This is 48 fps.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Glóin the Dark
Rivendell

Dec 6 2012, 5:29am

Post #22 of 129 (1786 views)
Shortcut
Wow - you addressed my question before I even posted it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cheers!

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Dec 6 2012, 5:36am

Post #23 of 129 (1864 views)
Shortcut
Responses [In reply to] Can't Post

Who is the character that mutters a "cringe worthy" remark as they are dying, and what does he say?

Huh, I have no idea. I really don't.

Does Azog look "real" so to speak -or does he look stupid being all cgi?

I am not a big fan of Azog.

Is the film comedy over the top?

No, but I am in favor of a light, comedic tone. The real question is how the humor balances with the grit. Actually, I can think of one bit where it felt over the top with comedy.

In what capacity do we see Thranduil?

In what capacity? Being awesome. I will say nothing else. Except the character's behavior may or may not be liked by all but the design is breathtaking. Okay, I will also say that Orlando Bloom is a boy Elf and Lee Pace is a grown-up man Elf. Dude will be on fire after this.

Sons of elrond?

Uh....I think so but not clearly labeled as such. A detail I wasn't focusing on just then.

Do we see the mounted Rivendell warriors fight?

Does nobody want to be surprised at the cinema?!

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Glóin the Dark
Rivendell

Dec 6 2012, 5:36am

Post #24 of 129 (1827 views)
Shortcut
"who revealed this?!" [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen the revelation attributed to Benedict Cumberbatch, though didn't hear/read it myself.

Simon
Rivendell

Dec 6 2012, 5:38am

Post #25 of 129 (1768 views)
Shortcut
Thanks a lot! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand i think...love your metaphor...so...i think...if i can guess...it will be like to watch a play and on the stage ...three magic trolls would take shape in front of my eyes...it will maybe look a little weird for a moment but my eyes will see it as a "reality" and it will be up to my mind if i accepted it or not! :) ...so the CGI must be very good for this type of perception?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.