Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Hobbit forum abstainers support group!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 5 2012, 3:47pm

Post #26 of 80 (260 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully the next week will shoot by. [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely don't peak - you will almost definitely see something that will spoil some aspect of the film.

And if it helps, I can make up fake spoilers to keep your expectations low? Wink

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 5 2012, 3:50pm

Post #27 of 80 (273 views)
Shortcut
The spoiler bombs were already too much for me! [In reply to] Can't Post

When I left, I already was seeing descriptions posted from people who had seen the movie, even before the embargo lifted! I think some detailed stuff from twitter. It was too much.

I did see the clip of Bilbo acquiring Sting, but found it hard to digest without context. It looked great, however. I am 100% confident that this movie will look stellar. All I wonder about is the script, really. And since I loved LotR, I think this'll be good too.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 5 2012, 4:13pm

Post #28 of 80 (259 views)
Shortcut
I'm looking forward to [In reply to] Can't Post

The dwarf history and the White Council scenes. We basically know how the rest of the story goes, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with this other material.

I really want to like Radagast, but right now I'm not sold on his appearance. I hope that he works amazingly well in the film, but right now I'm not holding my breath. He seems too crazy and out-there for my liking. We shall see, though.

As for scenes from the book, I'm very much looking forward to the unexpected party. It's such a fantastic part of the book, and I'm really hoping it's just as fantastic in the film. From what we've seen so far, especially with the Misty Mountains song, I think it will be great. I'm also really looking forward to riddles in the dark. I think it was Garfemaio's review that said the sequence is wonderful, so I'm holding on to that. She also said that the ending was really good, which is something I've been worried about, so that was reassuring.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 5 2012, 4:14pm

Post #29 of 80 (250 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I shan't be peaking [In reply to] Can't Post

Too much at stake! But if you want to start telling me that Radagast is worse than Jar Jar Binks, that would certainly keep my expectations low!!

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 5 2012, 4:17pm

Post #30 of 80 (267 views)
Shortcut
Too many spoilers from twitter [In reply to] Can't Post

And with the embargo lifting, it was going to go crazy, I'm sure.

I love LOTR too, so I'm fairly certain I'll like these films. If the quality is as good as those films, The Hobbit will be a success in my eyes.

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Dec 5 2012, 4:36pm

Post #31 of 80 (269 views)
Shortcut
Count me in. [In reply to] Can't Post

Final straw for me was finding out Bombur gets killed by the Stone Trolls, and that Justin Bieber has a cameo role.

TP.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 5 2012, 4:47pm

Post #32 of 80 (244 views)
Shortcut
When I heard about... [In reply to] Can't Post

the Katy Perry musical number during the White Council, it was too much to me.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 5 2012, 4:59pm

Post #33 of 80 (236 views)
Shortcut
And then there was [In reply to] Can't Post

Leonard Nimoy singing the title song...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 5 2012, 5:04pm

Post #34 of 80 (237 views)
Shortcut
That's what sold me! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was on the fence until I heard The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins on the extended soundtrack. Chills!

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 5 2012, 5:06pm

Post #35 of 80 (245 views)
Shortcut
I'm looking forward to [In reply to] Can't Post

the feeling of the movie. For me it isn't a single scene or a person, I want to be taken back to Middle-earth, and I really hope they can take me back with this movie. I want to see The Shire in all its greeness. The various personalities of the dwarves. Bilbo's reaction to all that is happening to him.

I love to see the trailers, but, as many here, I don't want a scene-by-scene breakdown. I want to enjoy it all in one go, the visual, the sounds, the emotions. And you can't get that from a breakdown. I have read a few reports, but the once I read didn't really give spoilers about the movie. They just said what they thought about it, if it fitted their idea and the visual, not the storyline.

Now I just have to wait till December 12th, first seeing in IMAX 3D at 0.12AM and than that evening a hfr 3D screening (didn't know they had them here, but noticed it today and immediately bought tickets),

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 5 2012, 5:56pm

Post #36 of 80 (260 views)
Shortcut
Going back... [In reply to] Can't Post

It has to be one of the main reasons I'm so looking forward to these films. In my opinion, the LOTR films are astounding, and I'm so excited to be able to return to Middle-earth for another journey.

I'm also looking forward to HFR 3D. I'm tired of hearing everyone else's opinions of it; I just want to see it for myself and have my own opinion Tongue

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 5 2012, 9:27pm

Post #37 of 80 (238 views)
Shortcut
Yep, me too [In reply to] Can't Post

about the HFR, I want to see it for myself. What it is, what it looks like and if or if not I like it. Although maybe I'm going to take some anti motion sickness medication up front, just in case.... I sometimes do get a bit motion sick during a movie with a lot of camera movement etc. But with this I just want to see what it is Peter Jackson is aiming for.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 5 2012, 10:16pm

Post #38 of 80 (225 views)
Shortcut
I'm looking forward to The Hobbit, but . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . I've been sitting here this afternoon listening to my LotR soundtracks, just the three TE CDs, not the longer CRs, which I also have---anyway, hearing this wonderful music reminded me how much I love LotR, first the book, then the movie. LotR has been an important part of my life for many, many years.

(I read LotR first and only went back later to read TH, and I'm sure I've read LotR six times for every time I've read TH.)

I'm sure I'm not the only one who will enjoy TH:AUJ and the other two movies, but won't be blown away like I was with LotR, not because of any flaws in the film, but because the story isn't my favorite. I fully expect to like the LotR movies more than the TH movies, simply because I prefer the book.

Does this make sense?

I have been reading the spoilers, looking at the photos, etc., but with much less involvement than I was looking at the RotK spoilers 9 years ago. (9 years?!? It isn't possible....)

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 5 2012, 10:40pm

Post #39 of 80 (226 views)
Shortcut
It makes perfect sense [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been doing some talking to myself making sure I'm not expecting my experience with LOTR to be repeated. It can't be... for lots of reasons.

I think it's freed me up, a little, to maybe enjoy the movie on a completely non-LOTR, non-Tolkien way. LOTR had to live up to something - in my mind. I'm not sure I need that from The Hobbit. Just like strong fans of Batman might have a certain level of assessment of Batman movies... a strong fan of Tolkien will have a certain level of assessment of Tolkien movies.

I'm hoping to go into The Hobbit movie as 'not a strong fan of Tolkien.' I'm aiming for the eyes of any of my fans who might have read the books but never joined a fansite's message board or anything. :-p

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Dec 5 2012, 11:24pm

Post #40 of 80 (211 views)
Shortcut
holidays- depends [In reply to] Can't Post

On what you are doing.

For school kids, last day of term 4 this year is December 21 and then they don't go back until January 30 (teachers start Jan 29)
They have three two week breaks spread through the year at the break of each term (term1/2, 2/3, 3/4)
This is government schools, the private schools do it differently. (they have 3 week breaks)

for university students, last day of class is around the end of October, last exam (if you have them) is around the end of november, first day of class is usually the first week of March. (could be last days of feb) and you have about a month off in the middle of the year, but only 1 week break during the semester. (2 semesters) I am going to miss my 3 month summers.

TH

Hobbit firster, Book firster.

Have you explored all of TORN's forums?

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 5 2012, 11:31pm

Post #41 of 80 (222 views)
Shortcut
I'm planning to see 2D first. Also, beards for women. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking about that when we went to see Life of Pi in 2D. 3D is fun, but I spend so much time looking around thinking "gee whiz, look at that!" that I forget to watch the movie itself. I want my first experience of The Hobbit to be of the story, and then I can go "gee whiz!" later. I'm also not going to the first showing. Our local theater has screwed up three of four movies we've gone to recently, having trouble finding people who know how to work the digital projectors. I'm going to wait a few days, hoping they can get it working properly.

I'm neither avoiding spoilers nor seeking them out. Just going with the flow.

I did read greendragon's interview with Richard Armitage, and was tickled to see that he thinks beards for women will be the next fashion trend. Maybe I'll stop shaving :-D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 5 2012, 11:33pm

Post #42 of 80 (238 views)
Shortcut
Ditto to a lot of that for me [In reply to] Can't Post

except that I did read "The Hobbit" first, when I was 12. I liked it, but I fell in love with Aragorn in Bree. I used to try to read The Hobbit each time I read LotR, kind of out of a feeling that I should, but it was never my favorite part of the story.

And your last paragraph describes me too.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 6 2012, 1:50am

Post #43 of 80 (198 views)
Shortcut
I hadn't thought of taking medication [In reply to] Can't Post

I do get car sick very easily. Perhaps I should take some for this as well Crazy

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 6 2012, 1:59am

Post #44 of 80 (198 views)
Shortcut
I didn't think [In reply to] Can't Post

That I could be as excited for The Hobbit as I was for LOTR. But I don't think I can help myself, especially after seeing one of the recent tv spots. It has me absolutely convinced that I will love this movie. I had tried to go in with no expectations and be pleasantly surprised, but I don't think that's working Shocked

I find it difficult to compare my feelings about LOTR and The Hobbit in comparison to each other. They're such completely different animals in almost every way. I adore The Hobbit for what it is, and I adore the LOTR for what it is.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 6 2012, 2:02am

Post #45 of 80 (190 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure I caught all that [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush

The way the seasons go in different hemispheres is messing me up. Plus, school here is generally fall-spring with a few breaks for holidays in between. There's normally two weeks a Christmas, and that's the longest break until summer.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 6 2012, 2:08am

Post #46 of 80 (189 views)
Shortcut
3D is distracting for me as well [In reply to] Can't Post

So I'll be seeing it in 2D for the first time, too. I'll see it in HFR 3D later, but I just want to enjoy my return to Middle-earth without being distracted by the visual effects.

I read the interview with Richard as well. We should have the TORn women grow their beards and show us the pictures! Tongue

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Dec 6 2012, 2:22am

Post #47 of 80 (181 views)
Shortcut
seasons [In reply to] Can't Post

yes, it's confusing.

We have the summer break over December/January and a smaller break in the middle of the year where as you have your middle year Christmas break. (we also have 2 week quarter breaks) You know how in the USA the class of 2012 actually started their senior year in 2011? Well, here the class of 2012 started in 2012 (and finish 6 months after their USA friends of the same "class of 2012")

University is just wack- 12 week semesters (2 per year) with a week of break in the middle (not counted towards the 12) and 3 weeks of exams after each semester. And a LONG holiday. :)

Hobbit firster, Book firster.

Have you explored all of TORN's forums?

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Dec 6 2012, 2:41am

Post #48 of 80 (294 views)
Shortcut
I'll show you mine, if you show me yours! ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Cr*ppy windblown photo, but I did get the first cheap test-run knit done, though not properly finished and blocked. I'll know what to change for the next ones.

Eowyn/Dwarfhelm is ahead of the trend! =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 6 2012, 2:44am

Post #49 of 80 (201 views)
Shortcut
I love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to crochet one, but I have to get my stupid finals graded first.

Or I could just stop shaving...nah, probably not.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 6 2012, 2:51am

Post #50 of 80 (191 views)
Shortcut
Woo-hoo! *mods up* [In reply to] Can't Post

EoPW, that is AWESOME! (And it looks great on you! Laugh)

You're definitely ready to storm the Lonely Mountain - or cleave a few goblin-heads!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.