Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
One Review thread to Rule the All (3rd edition - with links to #1 & #2) - Please post all reviews and review comments here!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Superuser / Moderator

Dec 5 2012, 9:27pm

Post #1 of 53 (3484 views)
One Review thread to Rule the All (3rd edition - with links to #1 & #2) - Please post all reviews and review comments here! Can't Post

As reviews continue to come in, discuss them here.

Link to BiggieSmaug's original thread #1 is here.

Link to 2nd thread is here.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 5 2012, 9:27pm)

Welsh hero

Dec 5 2012, 9:41pm

Post #2 of 53 (1451 views)
My RT prediction [In reply to] Can't Post

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

The Shire

Dec 5 2012, 9:47pm

Post #3 of 53 (1387 views)
I think maybe 80% [In reply to] Can't Post

Which I'd be happy with.

Dec 5 2012, 10:12pm

Post #4 of 53 (1352 views)
I'm not terribly concerned with the reviews anymore. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was pointed out that one of my favorite movies (A Beautiful Mind), and one that won the Academy Award for Best Picture, has a 78% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Not that I think that The Hobbit will get best picture, but it's good to have a wakeup call in knowing that my opinions on movies are hardly always going to be well captured by a review metric on some website...

(This post was edited by Username4242 on Dec 5 2012, 10:17pm)

Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2012, 10:18pm

Post #5 of 53 (1288 views)
My guess is... [In reply to] Can't Post

that it's going to end up being 85% fresh, with an 8-8.5 average score. And i'm going to see it 8-10 times. And it's going to make A LOT of money.

The Shire

Dec 5 2012, 10:19pm

Post #6 of 53 (1259 views)
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I think people have a problem with the tonal difference - Lord of the Rings is this big, emotional epic. The Hobbit is an adventure story. TABA may have more emotional force behind it, what with the deaths of three major characters and all (PJ seems to have beefed up the roles of Fili and Kili so that their deaths will, hopefully, tug at the heartstrings). If this is the case then sure, maybe TABA will get a nom.

Next Thursday, I will go into the cinema expecting a fun adventure story like the book I love. And I think I will get that.

Dec 5 2012, 10:32pm

Post #7 of 53 (1441 views)
Some great lines from TIME [In reply to] Can't Post

"What’s curious is that, in this cathedral of high tech, the most telling moments are scenes of intimacy, like Galadriel’s solemn, seductive promise to Gandalf that, “If you should need my help, I will come” — one of the movie’s few pulses of adult connection."

And raves for Riddles in the Dark and Andy Serkis:

"You wait two hours for the meeting of Bilbo and Gollum, and it’s satisfies all expectations. We know from The Lord of the Rings that this emaciated figure of doomed dementia was once the Hobbit Sméagol. After a half-millennium in subterranean solitary confinement under the Ring’s influence, he is a sibilant wraith, arguing with himself as Norman Bates did with his late mother. (...) Serkis, aided by Jackson’s CGI gurus, revives the old sick poignancy in a creature who is more haunted than malevolent (and he is very malevolent). In an adventure, villains usually get the best roles; add a touch of madness and the result can be magnificent maleficence. Serkis soars as Sméagol sinks, and if the next two Hobbit films hold hope, it is that this Peter Lorre-esque skulker will get more chances to work his evil magic."

Dec 5 2012, 10:34pm

Post #8 of 53 (1302 views)
Controversy was the reason for the 78%. [In reply to] Can't Post

My hubby and I got to see an early rough-cut screening of A Beautiful Mind and we were blown away. We thought definitely Best Picture. Then there was controversy over changes made from the biography. The controversy caused a more negative critical reaction.

For different reasons AUJ has distractions or controversies that are producing some of the negative responses.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur

Dec 5 2012, 10:41pm

Post #9 of 53 (1279 views)
Did he read the book yet? I'm not sure with that [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
[..] and if the next two Hobbit films hold hope, it is that this Peter Lorre-esque skulker will get more chances to work his evil magic.

I'm not sure if this journalist did read the book Wink

Optimists w
ould say: He perhaps knows more than we do... but to be honest... except for a potential cameo in the end of TABA there won't be any Gollum/Sméagol in The Hobbit. It's sad.. but that's Bilbos story.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Dec 5 2012, 10:42pm)

Dec 5 2012, 11:59pm

Post #10 of 53 (1141 views)
down to 75% on RT [In reply to] Can't Post

another rotten review (praising only freeman's performance).

Crunchable Birdses

Dec 6 2012, 12:11am

Post #11 of 53 (1196 views)
A stupidly biased review by a slavering Harry Potter fangirl [In reply to] Can't Post

When she says in her opening sentence that she doesn't like LOTR, what hope is there? Crazy

Also, I think most of the words in that review were about Harry Potter, and not the film she was reviewing.

* crunch *

(This post was edited by Crunchable Birdses on Dec 6 2012, 12:13am)

Dec 6 2012, 12:33am

Post #12 of 53 (1057 views)
Hate that... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hate when a reviewer is already going in hating it. Really unfair to the film. Critics should only see the film if they have no opinion on it or were at least looking forward to it. Why should a reviewer who hates LOTR even have a "fair" review on The Hobbit?

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Dec 6 2012, 12:53am

Post #13 of 53 (1014 views)
Reviews [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileI like to read reviews, but it won't stop me from going. I also think that when you are reviewing a film, go in with a open mind. Maybe you won't like it, but at least give it a chance. Sometimes I think some reviewers have a preconceived notion that they will hate it and then review accordingly. I will be interested in what the reviewers will say, but I think they should weigh the pros and cons before trashing it. Just my opinion.

Grey Havens

Dec 6 2012, 12:59am

Post #14 of 53 (952 views)
my prediction [In reply to] Can't Post

Even before the reviews started rolling in, I've had 72% in my mind for some reason.

Dec 6 2012, 1:02am

Post #15 of 53 (1127 views)
Realistically, we're probably looking at low 60's on RT [In reply to] Can't Post

Most films tend to start higher than they end up on Rotten Tomatoes. I don't see any way the movie ends up higher than 75%. I'm predicting 62% as the final number. I know that sounds like a downer, but I've followed RT for a long time and have seen this type of pattern. Hope I'm wrong.

Ecthelions Beard
The Shire

Dec 6 2012, 1:04am

Post #16 of 53 (1053 views)
Wow.... yes wow [In reply to] Can't Post

This has got to be the single most bull%^&* review I've ever read (and I've read many hundreds over the years) This lady quite literally judges the movie entirely on how it's not like Harry Potter instead of on its own merits! I dislike Titanic because that genre just isn't my cup of tea but I still acknowledge it's a brilliantly done movie. You can't judge the quality of a good apple based on what ways it fails to be an orange. Please, for your own sake, fire yourself lady.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Dec 6 2012, 1:25am

Post #17 of 53 (1072 views)
All I know is... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if this movie ends up with lower than an 80% and a 7.2/10 rating - which is what Rotten Tomatoes gave to Star Wars Episode III - then I am officially done with paying attention to that site.

I mean, I enjoyed Episode III for what it was, but the few minutes worth of footage we've seen from An Unexpected Journey pretty much blows away the entirety of the Star Wars prequel.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Dec 6 2012, 1:55am

Post #18 of 53 (998 views)
I stopped long ago [In reply to] Can't Post

IMDB and RT IMO aren't to be taken with more than a grain of salt.

The Shire

Dec 6 2012, 2:03am

Post #19 of 53 (944 views)
Excellent! But some of his other comments seemed a bit petty. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm very excited by the positive comments regarding the Riddles in the Dark scene. However, I'm not sure it was fair for the reviewer to insinuate that Peter Jackson took over as director for The Hobbit because he was covetous of the project like Gollum was for the ring!

Dec 6 2012, 2:34am

Post #20 of 53 (973 views)
new review [In reply to] Can't Post

Ecthelions Beard
The Shire

Dec 6 2012, 2:37am

Post #21 of 53 (884 views)
Good! [In reply to] Can't Post

Another good review. I think once the remaining 250 or so reviews come in the movie will level off at 84%

Dec 6 2012, 4:26am

Post #22 of 53 (770 views)
haven't seen this one [In reply to] Can't Post

Welsh hero

Dec 6 2012, 7:21am

Post #23 of 53 (661 views)
Back to 76% [In reply to] Can't Post

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Dec 6 2012, 9:00am

Post #24 of 53 (655 views)
Very good piece from Alex Billington [In reply to] Can't Post

Dec 6 2012, 9:27am

Post #25 of 53 (610 views)
Another one I don't think has been posted here [In reply to] Can't Post

I just saw this enthusiastic review on RT:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.