Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I'm going to wait for the extended edition
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

haarp
Rivendell

Dec 5 2012, 7:36pm

Post #1 of 40 (1334 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to wait for the extended edition Can't Post

Beat that.

Fellowship theatrical release felt so speedy, it is I admit a perfect run time, but it misses out so much depth in the story. I wonder what PJ will add to the extended editions and if that is why people feel there was a lack of depth to the characters introduction because he had to remove a lot.

I guess all we can do is pray and hope an extended edition exists.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 5 2012, 7:40pm

Post #2 of 40 (565 views)
Shortcut
How can you judge the film, I you don't see it? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 5 2012, 7:42pm

Post #3 of 40 (628 views)
Shortcut
I've got a feeling what they are putting in cinemas is pretty much the extended edition [In reply to] Can't Post

If any of the reviews are to be believed.

Also, I don't believe for a nanosecond that anyone posting on this forum is not going to see the film within a week of it opening.

* crunch *

Danielos
Rohan

Dec 5 2012, 7:42pm

Post #4 of 40 (606 views)
Shortcut
Extended [In reply to] Can't Post

According to the reviewers, the movie is already overextended at it is.

nobofthepony
Lorien

Dec 5 2012, 7:47pm

Post #5 of 40 (575 views)
Shortcut
I'm convinced that the reason they made it 3 films is because this is the EE... [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is unfortunate, because the LOTR EE's were great for him viewing but would have bombed theatrically.

gar-mogoth
The Shire

Dec 5 2012, 7:48pm

Post #6 of 40 (544 views)
Shortcut
But what if there won't be any extended editions? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know it's not very probable, but splitting two films into three adds a lot of material, that wouldn't make it to 2 films, so it's already kind of extended editions. Or what if EEs will be for the first time released together in 2014 or 15? Will you wait 2-3 years to watch this movie?

(This post was edited by gar-mogoth on Dec 5 2012, 7:50pm)

Kendalf
Rohan

Dec 5 2012, 7:48pm

Post #7 of 40 (566 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
(I've got a feeling what they're putting in the cinemas is pretty much the extended edition) If any of the reviews are to be believed.

Yep. When they moved the ending from the barrels to the eagles, it pretty much became a necessity in order to fill out the run-time to an acceptably "epic" length. The EE of AUJ will be minimally extended as a result, well under 30 minutes, I'd guess.

"Show...a little more respect...for faerie tales, Riskbreaker."

Macsen
Lorien

Dec 5 2012, 7:54pm

Post #8 of 40 (562 views)
Shortcut
Extended Editions [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoyed the extended editions when they came out, and thought they were superior to the TE, but when I re-watched the films for the first time in about 5 years a few months ago I thought they really dragged on.

I can only think of one or two scenes (such as Saruman in ROTK) that I would have kept in the cinema release.

I can also remember thinking TTT was quite boring in parts the first time I saw it at the cinema. About the middle section where Gimli falls off his horse and Aragorn is snogged by his horse I remember thinking 'I've waited about five years for this film and I'm actually bored'. Hopefully I won't have the same reaction to my first viewing of the Hobbit. Laugh

So I would have prefered if PJ had kept the theatrical version quite lean and left the longer edition for the die hard fans.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 5 2012, 7:56pm

Post #9 of 40 (552 views)
Shortcut
There will be extended editions [In reply to] Can't Post

Not only is there money to be made from them, but also the amount of footage shot. One review said how little of trailer 1 was actually in the film.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2012, 8:01pm

Post #10 of 40 (532 views)
Shortcut
Yup, I think there will be extended editions [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe most of the market stuff with Bilbo has been cut, Bilbo and Narsil and the flashback to Gandalf meeting a very young Bilbo.

This will make WB lots of money and they know it.

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Dec 5 2012, 8:02pm

Post #11 of 40 (486 views)
Shortcut
Sure [In reply to] Can't Post

Just what we need - let's get them from Bag End to Rivendell in real time Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 5 2012, 8:06pm

Post #12 of 40 (496 views)
Shortcut
Has that all really been cut? [In reply to] Can't Post

What a shame.Frown

Unless young Bilbo and Gandalf get a flashback later in the trilogy?

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 5 2012, 8:07pm

Post #13 of 40 (520 views)
Shortcut
I'm about 99% positive [In reply to] Can't Post

that you are fairly alone in those feelings.
The ext editions are far superior to the theatrical. They don't drag at all. Not even close

rune
The Shire

Dec 5 2012, 8:07pm

Post #14 of 40 (506 views)
Shortcut
Extended edition confirmed [In reply to] Can't Post

Read it here

http://collider.com/the-hobbit-extended-edition/200163/

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 5 2012, 8:08pm

Post #15 of 40 (463 views)
Shortcut
agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 5 2012, 8:10pm

Post #16 of 40 (460 views)
Shortcut
This was later denied by Warner bros. [In reply to] Can't Post

They said it was an error:

In the recently distributed calendar included in the Warner Bros. 90th Anniversary press kit, there was an erroneous mention of an Extended Edition release for The Hobbit film. This product has not been confirmed yet and we apologize for any confusion.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Dec 5 2012, 8:14pm)

BlackCountry
Rivendell

Dec 5 2012, 8:14pm

Post #17 of 40 (446 views)
Shortcut
Awesome news!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

However has anybody ever mentioned whether Tra la lally has even appeared? Perhaps an EE moment? Will be like the Talking Purse all over again I guess.

I do not want what it is not mine.... I only want what comes from within....

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Dec 5 2012, 8:20pm

Post #18 of 40 (460 views)
Shortcut
Aaaaah! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going out of my mind here. Most of my friends don't like LOTR so much that they want to see TH in cinema and those that do cannot for a few weeks...!!!
If I want to see it, I'll probably have to go alone...which I don't belief I want to...Frown

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

dave_lf
Gondor

Dec 5 2012, 8:29pm

Post #19 of 40 (433 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel the same way. It's nice to have (most of!) those scenes, but in nearly all cases, I feel the films flow better without them.

(This post was edited by dave_lf on Dec 5 2012, 8:31pm)

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Dec 5 2012, 8:30pm

Post #20 of 40 (412 views)
Shortcut
Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm hoping for a 3 1/2 - 4 hour EE with PJ working in more back story material. Perhaps from Game Of Thrones.

I regret not skipping Titanic for the same reason - waaaaaay too speedy. I'd barely gotten comfortable in the theater before hey presto - iceberg.

TP.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 5 2012, 8:36pm

Post #21 of 40 (395 views)
Shortcut
I saw ROTK twice by myself [In reply to] Can't Post

It's better on your own - nobody asks stupid questions, or nudges you while they shovel popcorn into their mouth.

Smile

Chopsta123
Gondor

Dec 5 2012, 8:43pm

Post #22 of 40 (360 views)
Shortcut
thought you meant you saw ROTK twice... [In reply to] Can't Post

i was like 'Waaaaa???'

talkingmongoose
The Shire

Dec 5 2012, 8:44pm

Post #23 of 40 (338 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm seeing The Hobbit by myself for the first time. Call me anti-social :D I've promised that I'll also see it separately with a number of friends - I think the idea of seeing it with their token Tolkien geek is quite endearing to them.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 5 2012, 8:45pm

Post #24 of 40 (338 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to disappoint ... See my post above. It hasn't yet been confirmed. / [In reply to] Can't Post

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2012, 8:47pm

Post #25 of 40 (332 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, i remember that confirmation/retraction [In reply to] Can't Post

But i cannot imagine that P.J. will not do an Extended Edition. I mean, did you see his King Kong? And he did an Extended Edition of that!

I have to admit that i'm almost looking *more* forward to the Extended Edition (and Appendices) than i am the theatrical version. I can't wait to spend a weekend watching the extended cut and all the docs and listening to all the commentaries.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.