Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Concerning Dwarves

blair85
The Shire

Dec 5 2012, 6:46pm

Post #1 of 11 (887 views)
Shortcut
Concerning Dwarves Can't Post

So I've read several reviews now, and I'm loving all the positive hype for AUJ, but one thing I noticed is that every reviewer mentions that the dwarves sort of blend together, and then mentions which ones they thought stood out.

However, I also noticed that each one mentions different dwarves. While everyone unilaterally praises Thorin, it seems every reviewer noticed other secondary dwarves.

One reviewer mentioned Ori, Dori, and Balin, another mentioned Fili, Kili, and Dwalin, and another still mentioned Bofur, Bombur, and Bifur.

I think its not that the dwarves don't have time to shine, its just the fact that there are 13 new characters with rhyming names that has confused casual film-goers.

I think that us here at TORN since we are familiar with the character designs and some of the personalities will be able to easily identify the dwarves, and notice their little character traits.

Well again, I haven't seen the movie yet so it's all speculation really, but that's just my opinion on the dwarf issue.

I'd like to get everyone else's take on this, is it simply character overload for casual fans, or will the dwarves each be given their time to shine in the sequels?

ElendurTheFaithful
Rivendell

Dec 5 2012, 6:59pm

Post #2 of 11 (493 views)
Shortcut
from what i've read [In reply to] Can't Post

besides thorin who is out of discussion being pretty much main character, most critics i stumbled upon say that bofur stands out being really good and funny.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 5 2012, 7:09pm

Post #3 of 11 (447 views)
Shortcut
Almost every review I've read has mentioned Balin as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Which I'm really happy about. I shouldn't think differentiating between the Dwarves will be a problem with us. I can't wait to see them altogether for the first time. Laugh

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

Apatcha
The Shire

Dec 5 2012, 7:42pm

Post #4 of 11 (383 views)
Shortcut
From what I've read.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Most viewers praise Thorin off course, and of the dwarves mention only Balin and sometimes Bofur, but who knows if they just don't have mixed them up. But after seeing those 6 fantastic clips, it doesn't look like the other dwarves are left out.

We will know more after seeing it, just 7 days and only a couple of hours to go :D huhuhuhu

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!
So, carefully! Carefully with the plates!

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Dec 5 2012, 8:07pm

Post #5 of 11 (335 views)
Shortcut
There should be plenty of time for all of the Dwarves to shine - [In reply to] Can't Post

- over the course of the three movies.

Admittedly, the names can be confusing for newcomers.

I remember one of my old English teachers saying he had problems keeping track of the characters in 'The Lord of the Rings'. Some audience members probably have a similar problem with Thorin's gang.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2012, 8:57pm

Post #6 of 11 (302 views)
Shortcut
PJ mentioned in a live chat I just saw... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that the dwarves who get short shrift in this movie get more exposure in the next two.

Arthur: What manner of man are you that can summon up fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: I... am an enchanter.
Arthur: By what name are you known?
Tim: There are some who call me... 'Tim'...?
Arthur: ...greetings, Tim the Enchanter.

haarp
Rivendell

Dec 5 2012, 9:01pm

Post #7 of 11 (264 views)
Shortcut
k [In reply to] Can't Post

most of the critics don't know anything about middle earth

blair85
The Shire

Dec 5 2012, 9:44pm

Post #8 of 11 (230 views)
Shortcut
I love that [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been praising Bofur from the first time I saw his picture, and I love that he's a standout here. It's good to hear that everyone will get some moments throughout the trilogy. This also makes me very happy about the split to 3 movies (not that I wasn't before) as it makes sense to give the characters more time to develop.

(This post was edited by blair85 on Dec 5 2012, 9:46pm)

elostirion74
Rohan

Dec 5 2012, 10:53pm

Post #9 of 11 (199 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm, I haven't really noticed the trend of each reviewer mentioning different secondary dwarves. Balin and Bofur, Fili and Kili are the ones I've seen mentioned most often. But it wouldn't be surprising if many casual movie-goers and reviewers blend quite a few of the dwarves, though. All of the dwarves can hardly stand out as clearly distinctive characters without the film becoming a sprawling mess. A film has to focus on some selected characters, and although many of the other dwarves might have some interaction or some moment which is theirs throughout the film, it's not to be expected that casual viewers should notice them distinctly. Some of the dwarves that are more in the background in the first film, might get more screentime or attention in the next films. But even so one must remember that the two next films must also leave space for characterization of Bard, the Elvenking, the Master of Lake Town as well as other secondary characters that the scriptwriters have invented.

marillaraina
Rohan

Dec 6 2012, 2:29am

Post #10 of 11 (105 views)
Shortcut
Same [In reply to] Can't Post

If the reviewers mention any of the secondary dwarves, in the reviews I've seen, it's been Balin, Fili, Kili and Bofur, pretty much all of them. One of them mentioned I think Bombur in place of Bofur(may have confused Bofur with Bombur by name though) and one of them mentioned Kili without Fili and another mentioned just Balin, but nearly every time I've seen a review mention any of the secondary dwarves, it's been those 4 together who were listed as "stand outs" from the general dwarven crowd..

In Reply To
Hmm, I haven't really noticed the trend of each reviewer mentioning different secondary dwarves. Balin and Bofur, Fili and Kili are the ones I've seen mentioned most often. But it wouldn't be surprising if many casual movie-goers and reviewers blend quite a few of the dwarves, though. All of the dwarves can hardly stand out as clearly distinctive characters without the film becoming a sprawling mess. A film has to focus on some selected characters, and although many of the other dwarves might have some interaction or some moment which is theirs throughout the film, it's not to be expected that casual viewers should notice them distinctly. Some of the dwarves that are more in the background in the first film, might get more screentime or attention in the next films. But even so one must remember that the two next films must also leave space for characterization of Bard, the Elvenking, the Master of Lake Town as well as other secondary characters that the scriptwriters have invented.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2012, 2:39am

Post #11 of 11 (133 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf sightings [In reply to] Can't Post

Other than Thorin, i see a lot of Balin and Bofur references, some Fili and Kili, and one each of Dwalin (he and Bofur are my personal favs) and Bombur. And really, if movie critics have half of them down by the end of the first movie, that's quite an accomplishment!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.