Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit 48 FPS, review/thoughts....

huskyla27

Dec 5 2012, 4:40pm

Post #1 of 20 (1349 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit 48 FPS, review/thoughts.... Can't Post

I was lucky enought to see a screening of the Hobbit on Warner Bros. lot Monday evening. I won't go into details about the story, but I wanted to comment on the 48 fps.

When the film first opens I was taken back by how different it did look. It was shocking to say the least. It is so crystal clear. You can see the details of the characters and surroundings down to a single blade of grass. I will agree with Peter Jackson that it took sometime for me to get comfortable with the change. I wasn't until at least an hour into the movie that I started to forget about the new frame rate and was able to be in awww by how beautiful the film looked. I also think that with F/X heavy CGI films the 48 fps really made everything look real. It was much harder to notice a distiction between what was real and what was CGI, it all looked real, even the CG characters. As for people that say they are getting motion sickness, I call BS on that one. The actions scenes don't have the jerkiness or roughness that they have with 24 fps. Everything is very smooth and when the action gets quick there is no blurring or "what was that", you are able to see everything in very high clarity.

This process also helped the 3D as it didn't give that darkness that 24 fps 3D movies have. Everything was bright and looked amazing.
Overall, I like the new frame rate. I didn't notice any issues with it and as many have said it's like when you went from a standard TV to HDTV. The technology will grow and can only get better. I can't wait to see the film again in 48 fps.

I wanted to know if there are others who might have had a chance to see it thought about the 48 fps. Let me know what you think..

nobofthepony
Lorien

Dec 5 2012, 4:49pm

Post #2 of 20 (747 views)
Shortcut
Thank you but.. [In reply to] Can't Post

...in all honesty I'm more curious about the story and how you felt it played out. Are the negative or lukewarm reviews justified in your opinion?

huskyla27

Dec 5 2012, 5:03pm

Post #3 of 20 (704 views)
Shortcut
another thought [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a filmmaker and have never experienced a film in 48 fps so I kept looking at the background, lighting and overall look of the film and I kept getting distracted from the story. I don't feel that I can give an honest review until I see it again. The set up for the adventure to begin takes up a large chunk of the first half and I can understand why some critics say it might drag, but, for me it didn't. A friend I went with, who is a Tolkien fan, loved it and enjoyed the changes they made to the story. I think most critics aren't Tolkien fans are want just another popcorn flick. The audience in our screening room gave it a standing ovation at the end which has never happened in a screening.

Overall I liked it and was very happy to be back in Middle Earth. I think after seeing it again it'll be right on par with the LOTR trilogy.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2012, 5:07pm

Post #4 of 20 (677 views)
Shortcut
This man gives a very insightfull review on 48 fps [In reply to] Can't Post

http://twitchfilm.com/2012/12/an-unknown-journey-the-hobbit-brings-high-frame-rates-to-the-masses.html

By the way, do you wear glasses? If so, how was it with 3D glasses on top of your own personal spectacles?

nobofthepony
Lorien

Dec 5 2012, 5:15pm

Post #5 of 20 (571 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was wondering if that might be the case.

Wanting a popcorn flick + being distracted by 48 fps = mixed reviews.

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 5 2012, 5:15pm

Post #6 of 20 (563 views)
Shortcut
Encouraging [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that it is just going to take some time for people to get used to. Not ten minutes, not even one film. But once people get used to the idea of it, they won't want to go back.

huskyla27

Dec 5 2012, 5:18pm

Post #7 of 20 (589 views)
Shortcut
Glasses [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not wear glasses but the friend I went through did. The 3D glasses we used were able to fit over his fine. No issues.

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Dec 5 2012, 5:22pm

Post #8 of 20 (544 views)
Shortcut
Regarding: [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As for people that say they are getting motion sickness, I call BS on that one.

People are built differently, and react differently to external stimulus. May not be BS.

TP.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2012, 5:23pm

Post #9 of 20 (558 views)
Shortcut
twitchfilm.com [In reply to] Can't Post

That twitchfilm.com review/overview of The Hobbit and 48fps is really great. Very well written and intelligent and balanced-- i was very impressed. Easily the best article on the subject that i've read. And he kind of changed my mind, because i had decided to see it at 24fps the first time, but his argument that HFR/3D is how the *filmmakers intend it to be seen* is very persuasive, as i'm very respectful of the filmmaker's artistic vision. There's also an interview with Richard Armitage on that same site (conducted by the same writer) that is excellent as well-- probably the best interview with a cast member that i've yet seen.

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 5 2012, 5:26pm

Post #10 of 20 (516 views)
Shortcut
That may be true [In reply to] Can't Post

But for the media to blow up a story of one or two people who happen to not be able to handle it is wrong.
So it is BS to try to ruin it for the vast majority of other people who could potentially enjoy it.

huskyla27

Dec 5 2012, 5:29pm

Post #11 of 20 (505 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't wait to see what they can do with 48 fps. My biggest gripe about the advent of CGI and digital F/X's is it's used so much that a film doesn't look real. You can see what is CGI and what isn't. In the instance of The Hobbit in 48 fps I was at times convinced they had to have 1000's of extras to do some of the scenes and then would realize that it must be all CGI, it all looks so real. I just couldn't tell.

(This post was edited by huskyla27 on Dec 5 2012, 5:34pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2012, 5:32pm

Post #12 of 20 (491 views)
Shortcut
Actually, [In reply to] Can't Post

if just a few people do get motion sickness from it, it's probably a good thing, in a "there's no such thing as bad press" sort of way.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2012, 5:47pm

Post #13 of 20 (449 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

i wear glasses so i dont want things to go badly....

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2012, 5:49pm

Post #14 of 20 (443 views)
Shortcut
Its a great article [In reply to] Can't Post

balanced, instructive, interesting.

I am still seeing it 24 frames the first time.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 5 2012, 6:21pm

Post #15 of 20 (428 views)
Shortcut
I want to see it the old way the first time, because [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to just focus on the story, without going "gee whiz!" about how it looks. But I do want to see it with the new technology later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

hamlet
Rivendell

Dec 5 2012, 7:49pm

Post #16 of 20 (320 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much for sharing! [In reply to] Can't Post

The best line of your post was, "I call 'bs' on that one." I've thought all along that the hand-wringing over 48 fps was much ado about nothing. I also agree that this film, by its very nature (prequel, lighter tone, etc.), may be less successful with critics and more successful with fans. Anyway, the new clips I saw today look amazing. And anyone who thinks too much of "An Unexpected Party" is "draggy" is a knucklehead (IMHO).

hamlet
Rivendell

Dec 5 2012, 7:56pm

Post #17 of 20 (317 views)
Shortcut
to clarify -- [In reply to] Can't Post

"Film Critics" who think the opening of the movie drags are knuckleheads. Denizens of TORN who feel the same way are not -- I respect the opinions of everyone here.

Defiant
Bree

Dec 5 2012, 8:34pm

Post #18 of 20 (288 views)
Shortcut
ditto to Huskyla [In reply to] Can't Post

Huskyla, I saw the film last week as well and just wanted to chime in and say I agree 100% with your observations. Great fun film, enjoyed the additions and the 48 fps thing actually made the movie the smoothest 3D ride I've ever had, despite my initial reservations. I'm converted and can't wait to see it again. I had friends who were in a 24 fps 3D screening and they were the only ones complaining of motion sickness or head aches. The 48 fps apperars to alleviate that rather than add to it. I think the media is jumping on it because they smell the whiff of controversy, which they always love.

Balrogslunch
The Shire

Dec 5 2012, 8:56pm

Post #19 of 20 (255 views)
Shortcut
the media like to blow things up [In reply to] Can't Post

the media in general like to blow anything up out of all proportion or base things not on fact on .....might, could, may,,.probably will.....anything now adays from the main broadcasters in the UK....BBC and Sky do the same things there is no facts anymore just speculation and opinion based on what an individual thinks.......rant over ;)

sphdle1
Gondor

Dec 5 2012, 11:33pm

Post #20 of 20 (216 views)
Shortcut
I have never seen 48fps [In reply to] Can't Post

but I can guarantee you that it won't take me long to melt into the movie between the 48fps and the 3D ... it's just the way my brain is wired. The only time I had an issue not staying in a movie was when I 'first' saw Avatar and expected better 3D effects (flying, roller coaster ride, pop out of screen, etc.), especially the flying...when that didn't happen it took me out for just a minute(if that), and it was because of my hopes and expectations; However the next time I saw it and each time after, I didn't notice it at all. Anything more real looking, 3D, or higher quality sucks me right in... Cool I don't have big expectations for the Hobbit's 3D, so that shouldn't be an issue, and everything extra will be gravy!

sphdle1

"The last words Albus Dumbledore spoke to the pair of us?
Harry is the best hope we have. Trust him."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.