Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Better late than never.....

White Gull
Lorien

Feb 27 2007, 2:20pm

Views: 275
Shortcut
Better late than never..... Can't Post

I guess. Hello everyone! And special huge HELLO to Trixie Hobbit who I've missed forever, it seems!

Anyway, I'm late to the new boards, and late to Sean Astin's birthday, though I thought of him on the day. (You, too, Curious, on Friday.)

So, in honor of Sean Astin's Sam and the wonder of the new boards, thought I'd post these two works of my muse:

Hope Unquenched

To autumn's frost the summer passed
Each day dawned darker than the last;
Flowers failed and shadows grew
In heart that hope, unquenched, once knew.

Sorrowed head, now bowed and grey,
Slowly made its careful way
Out of halls where loving souls
Sought vainly his loss to console.

In lonely glory stood his tree,
A remnant of fair memory;
And 'neath its gold he poured his grief,
Without restraint, without relief.

Then, though the wind in stillness lay,
Bright boughs began to quake, to sway,
As, in a place far past his view,
Through breaking heart a tempest blew.

One leaf released its hold grown weak,
And falling, kissed his tear-stained cheek;
One gently tugging gust of air
Eddied through his grizzled hair.

Arrested, turned his wond'ring gaze
Into the west, past end of days
For great heart felt near-quenched hope stir,
And soft, replied, "I'm coming, sir."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Night Fears

Sam kissed Rosie on the cheek before he pushed back the covers and sat up. "Stay here, love, I'll take care of this one." Rewarded by a sleepy smile, Sam drew on his robe and hurried down the hall. One of the children was crying in the night.

It was Robin, who shared a room with two brothers. Sam sat on the edge of the low bed and pulled the crying lad into his arms. "Shh," he comforted. "All's well, son, Da's here."

"I - I had a bad dream," Robin choked between sobs. "The witch-king was here." He buried his face in Sam's chest.

Rubbing the small, trembling back, Sam berated himself for allowing the child to listen to that part of the Red Book last night. With the others growing so much older he sometimes forgot the limitations of the little ones.

"It was only a dream," Sam soothed. "You can go back to sleep, you're safe here." And he laid Robin back down, tucking the blankets snug around him.

"I'm afraid to sleep, Da," Robin quavered. "What if I dream it again?"

"If you do, then I'll be here again," Sam promised. "But sleep now, those dreams aren't real."

A small smile touched Robin's face. "How do you do it, Da? Why aren't you afraid to go to sleep, when you might dream of the bad things you've seen?"

Sam bent and kissed the tousled head, hiding the shadow that crossed his face. "Well, son," he murmured, "I guess I've learned it's a whole lot worse to be afraid o' wakin' up."

WG

Subject User Time
Better late than never..... White Gull Send a private message to White Gull Feb 27 2007, 2:20pm
    Welcome back. / Foe Send a private message to Foe Feb 27 2007, 2:31pm
        Thanks White Gull Send a private message to White Gull Feb 28 2007, 12:08am
            Thank you very much. Foe Send a private message to Foe Mar 1 2007, 7:33pm
    Oh, yes! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Feb 27 2007, 2:44pm
        Thanks! White Gull Send a private message to White Gull Feb 28 2007, 12:07am
    *hugging through tears* oh... there you are :) grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Feb 27 2007, 3:03pm
    Hello White Gull. vedhed Send a private message to vedhed Feb 27 2007, 3:29pm
        Thanks! White Gull Send a private message to White Gull Feb 28 2007, 12:07am
    Those are so lovely, White Gull FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Feb 27 2007, 4:58pm
    Good to see you FantasyFan Send a private message to FantasyFan Feb 27 2007, 7:44pm
    oh WG - what a beautiful poem! greendragon Send a private message to greendragon Feb 27 2007, 8:32pm
    hey WG!!!! elvenhobbit Send a private message to elvenhobbit Feb 27 2007, 9:39pm
    Well, White Gull Send a private message to White Gull Feb 28 2007, 12:14am
    Nice to see your nick again / Stapper Send a private message to Stapper Feb 28 2007, 7:35pm
        Yours too! / White Gull Send a private message to White Gull Mar 2 2007, 1:49am
    As time goes by silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Mar 1 2007, 5:13pm
        You are always so kind White Gull Send a private message to White Gull Mar 2 2007, 1:51am
    WG is never late, WG is always on time! ;) (n/t) Ciars Send a private message to Ciars Mar 2 2007, 6:34pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.