The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Better late than never.....

White Gull
Lorien

Feb 27 2007, 2:20pm

Post #1 of 19 (1588 views)
Shortcut
Better late than never..... Can't Post

I guess. Hello everyone! And special huge HELLO to Trixie Hobbit who I've missed forever, it seems!

Anyway, I'm late to the new boards, and late to Sean Astin's birthday, though I thought of him on the day. (You, too, Curious, on Friday.)

So, in honor of Sean Astin's Sam and the wonder of the new boards, thought I'd post these two works of my muse:

Hope Unquenched

To autumn's frost the summer passed
Each day dawned darker than the last;
Flowers failed and shadows grew
In heart that hope, unquenched, once knew.

Sorrowed head, now bowed and grey,
Slowly made its careful way
Out of halls where loving souls
Sought vainly his loss to console.

In lonely glory stood his tree,
A remnant of fair memory;
And 'neath its gold he poured his grief,
Without restraint, without relief.

Then, though the wind in stillness lay,
Bright boughs began to quake, to sway,
As, in a place far past his view,
Through breaking heart a tempest blew.

One leaf released its hold grown weak,
And falling, kissed his tear-stained cheek;
One gently tugging gust of air
Eddied through his grizzled hair.

Arrested, turned his wond'ring gaze
Into the west, past end of days
For great heart felt near-quenched hope stir,
And soft, replied, "I'm coming, sir."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Night Fears

Sam kissed Rosie on the cheek before he pushed back the covers and sat up. "Stay here, love, I'll take care of this one." Rewarded by a sleepy smile, Sam drew on his robe and hurried down the hall. One of the children was crying in the night.

It was Robin, who shared a room with two brothers. Sam sat on the edge of the low bed and pulled the crying lad into his arms. "Shh," he comforted. "All's well, son, Da's here."

"I - I had a bad dream," Robin choked between sobs. "The witch-king was here." He buried his face in Sam's chest.

Rubbing the small, trembling back, Sam berated himself for allowing the child to listen to that part of the Red Book last night. With the others growing so much older he sometimes forgot the limitations of the little ones.

"It was only a dream," Sam soothed. "You can go back to sleep, you're safe here." And he laid Robin back down, tucking the blankets snug around him.

"I'm afraid to sleep, Da," Robin quavered. "What if I dream it again?"

"If you do, then I'll be here again," Sam promised. "But sleep now, those dreams aren't real."

A small smile touched Robin's face. "How do you do it, Da? Why aren't you afraid to go to sleep, when you might dream of the bad things you've seen?"

Sam bent and kissed the tousled head, hiding the shadow that crossed his face. "Well, son," he murmured, "I guess I've learned it's a whole lot worse to be afraid o' wakin' up."

WG

Foe
Lorien

Feb 27 2007, 2:31pm

Post #2 of 19 (1417 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Email Foe!

Foe's LiveJournal!

Foe's Myspace!

YIM, AIM, MSN= foehelm

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 27 2007, 2:44pm

Post #3 of 19 (1406 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember that poem - it's on your site, isn't it! Smile Those are such real Sam moments, thank you for them!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Still 'round the corner there may wait
A new road, or a secret gate...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 27 2007, 3:03pm

Post #4 of 19 (1426 views)
Shortcut
*hugging through tears* oh... there you are :) [In reply to] Can't Post

and here you'll stay. Wonderful Sam moments, m'dear. *still reflective* It's so good to have you here safe and sound :)

hugs... and thanks so much.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

vedhed

Feb 27 2007, 3:29pm

Post #5 of 19 (1423 views)
Shortcut
Hello White Gull. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm old, but new here too. Gonna have to figure out how to use a "real" board. I feel like the Old Gaffer grumbling about change, innovation and such foolishness.

The board looks great though. Hello to all.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Feb 27 2007, 4:58pm

Post #6 of 19 (1407 views)
Shortcut
Those are so lovely, White Gull [In reply to] Can't Post

and it's great to see you here at last!

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

FantasyFan
Rohan

Feb 27 2007, 7:44pm

Post #7 of 19 (1389 views)
Shortcut
Good to see you [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you've come up for air long enough to register. I kept looking in the "W"'s and not seeing you.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Feb 27 2007, 8:32pm

Post #8 of 19 (1404 views)
Shortcut
oh WG - what a beautiful poem! [In reply to] Can't Post

That brought tears to my eyes. So beautiful - thank you.

And, great to see you here! Smile

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Feb 27 2007, 9:39pm

Post #9 of 19 (1390 views)
Shortcut
hey WG!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Elven by name, Hobbit by nature

'Road lead ever on and on
down from the door where it began
now far ahead the road has gone
down from where all began' -FOTR-

and through all the world has changed
the ages come and go with time
and yet those remain unchanged
unto they journey westward
over the sea...

White Gull
Lorien

Feb 28 2007, 12:07am

Post #10 of 19 (1368 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm old, but new here too. Gonna have to figure out how to use a "real" board. I feel like the Old Gaffer grumbling about change, innovation and such foolishness.

The board looks great though. Hello to all.

Thank you! And welcome to you, too!

White Gull
Lorien

Feb 28 2007, 12:07am

Post #11 of 19 (1374 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I remember that poem - it's on your site, isn't it! Smile Those are such real Sam moments, thank you for them!

Thanks for remembering.

WG

White Gull
Lorien

Feb 28 2007, 12:08am

Post #12 of 19 (1373 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I'm glad to be back, and I'm glad you're here, too.

WG

White Gull
Lorien

Feb 28 2007, 12:14am

Post #13 of 19 (1386 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure of the correct way to respond to threads yet. This forum is a lot like khazaddum, but I don't know if everyone knows yet how to look for responses to their comments! At any rate, thank you all for commenting. Fantasy Fan, your footer is amazing. It speaks directly to my recent post on my lj. Hope. I wish it were all I want it to be. Gramma, you're great, as always. Everyone else... you don't know how much you mean to me.

WG

Stapper
Lorien

Feb 28 2007, 7:35pm

Post #14 of 19 (1364 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see your nick again / [In reply to] Can't Post

Belinda's law: The chance a computer crashes is proportional to the importance of the document you're working on

FOTR:50 links / Samwise's cookbook / TORn birthday calendar / 'Things you never (want to) hear people say' list

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 1 2007, 5:13pm

Post #15 of 19 (1361 views)
Shortcut
As time goes by [In reply to] Can't Post

that which is realized being of true value, amidst the taudry, the shallow, the false in this life it is the real friendships in this life and matters of the family that strengthens our foundations.
Your 'Hope Unquenched' and 'Night Fears' illuminate that realization. What is re-realized in the in 'Night Fears' is that Sam has nothing to fear from dreams because of the magnitude of waking dream in which he once existed.
Also being the 'old poop' that i am, i realize that the soul that exists in the earthly form of White Gull is very special here. One that opens with complete abandon to communicate with us all. Something i and TORn would greatly miss. And that is no poopSmile
Also i finally finished my drababble thread and it will make more cents now, almost maybe a dollar 3 eighties worth. I wanted to have exist a sublime time for all in Middle-earth especially the young.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

A little bit of my Middle-earth by canoe.

Foe
Lorien

Mar 1 2007, 7:33pm

Post #16 of 19 (1353 views)
Shortcut
Thank you very much. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is glad to "be back", so to speak.

Email Foe!

Foe's LiveJournal!

Foe's Myspace!

YIM, AIM, MSN= foehelm

White Gull
Lorien

Mar 2 2007, 1:49am

Post #17 of 19 (1345 views)
Shortcut
Yours too! / [In reply to] Can't Post

White Gull
Lorien

Mar 2 2007, 1:51am

Post #18 of 19 (1347 views)
Shortcut
You are always so kind [In reply to] Can't Post

And I love your word "drababble." I'll check out the thread!

WG

Ciars
Rohan

Mar 2 2007, 6:34pm

Post #19 of 19 (1389 views)
Shortcut
WG is never late, WG is always on time! ;) (n/t) [In reply to] Can't Post

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.