Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
What are the special features on the Theatrical edition DVD’s like? And a couple of related questions

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 1 2012, 1:14pm

Post #1 of 12 (407 views)
Shortcut
What are the special features on the Theatrical edition DVD’s like? And a couple of related questions Can't Post

Being one of those weirdo’s who could happily sit for ages watching Making Of’s (Currently working my way through the Alien Antholgy’s) and other extras, I was wondering whether it was worth buying the Theatrical cut’s (which I haven’t seen since I upgraded from VHS to extended Dvd box set six or seven years ago) for the extras-I gather they aren’t particularly interesting, but I can buy the trilogy for a fiver (perhaps less) second hand so I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on which special features are included.

On three side notes:
1) Are the Costa Botes Documentaries (which I haven’t seen…are they on youtube?) and theatrical edition extras included with the LOTR Extended Blu Ray set? I’ve got a blu ray player but I don’t want to make the leap unless everything is included (especially since PJ is already talking about new stuff for the lotr and hobbit ‘big box set’ for 2015)- one of the reason I didn’t bother with the star wars box set.

2) Do the theatrical cuts include things not in the extended cuts? I vaguely remember a different opening to Lothlorien, but I really can’t remember anything else…(I hope they include both versions in the big box set)

3) Could Born of Hope and the Hunt for Gollum be included in this future big box set? (Only seen a few minutes of each) or would this infringe copyright?

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

(This post was edited by malickfan on Dec 1 2012, 1:15pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 1 2012, 3:04pm

Post #2 of 12 (198 views)
Shortcut
The TE extras [In reply to] Can't Post

...are things that were created for promoting the films to the general public before they were released. So there are hour long specials (well, minus time for commercials) that aired on various networks, for example.

They are not as in-depth, either in regards to Tolkien the man or the making of the movies, as the EE extras. But I thought they were interesting and I think they are worth it if you can find them at a reasonable price.

As to what the features are exactly, that's usually listed in Amazon listings, for example.

here's FOTR: http://www.amazon.com/...CWT6/ref=pd_cp_mov_0

Look under "Special Features" and be sure to click "Read More"

Find links to TTT and ROTK on this page or do a search for them.

1) - have you tried searching? I don't even bother keeping links to youtube videos. They disappear too quickly. Knowing WB, I'd say probably not. You might find short promotional clips for it.

2) I know that the whole cart ride that Gandalf and Frodo take to Bag End in FOTR is a bit different in the TE than in the EE. To my knowledge, there isn't any other scene that has footage in the TE that is not in the EE but there might be. I remember some fussing with the Complete Recordings of the scores was needed because different cuts presented music in different ways. But I think any footage you might have seen in the TE that was not in the EE would be minor (the exception being the cart ride).

The pacing is different. I saw FOTR 9 times in the theater but didn't want to buy the TE edition DVD because I was going to wait for the EE. I did rent the TE a couple of times so, in all, it was quite familiar to me. My first reaction while watching the EE for the first time was, "HEY... this isn't the movie I watched". I caught the TE on sale later and bought it. I know people who prefer the pacing of the TE. So it isn't always about getting MORE. It's about an enjoyable movie experience. I think it's worth it to have both editions.

3) I don't know but I doubt it. I think the copyright issue is too complicated. They can't make money on it so how could they include it in a product being sold and then claim those fan movies are encouraging fans to buy the product. If people buy the product to see the fan movies than *someone* is making money on the product. Even if the fans who created it aren't.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Dec 1 2012, 3:05pm)

Moahunter
Rohan

Dec 3 2012, 10:37am

Post #3 of 12 (168 views)
Shortcut
Costa Botes documentaries. [In reply to] Can't Post

You can get these as part of the 3 limited edition/2 disc sets of LOTR.
Each set has 1 double sided disc: Theatrical version and Extended edition plus a second disc of the relevant CB documentary.
I recently got TTT in a NZ store at a knockdown price (thanks to Lissuin for the headsup) and found FOTR and ROTK on ebay for US$10 the two (not new but in mint condition).

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 3 2012, 2:51pm

Post #4 of 12 (182 views)
Shortcut
hun... [In reply to] Can't Post

after reading your answer I went back to read the original post. I could have sworn that the question was: are the Costa Bodes documentaries available anywhere online.

It is baffling to me that the question reads nothing like that. I blame it on alternate universes.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Dec 3 2012, 5:07pm

Post #5 of 12 (157 views)
Shortcut
I don't think of us as weirdos :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I have fond memories of the promotional films. The first one, on the sci-fi channel I think, gave me my first glimpse of the film's Shire. I interviewed Dan Arden, who made several of the promotional documentaries that are included with the theatrical-version DVDs, for my book. I also wrote about how such documentaries fit into the promotional scheme for films in Chapter 4 of The Frodo Franchise.

Yes, the Costa Botes feature-length candid documentaries are in the Blu-ray set. Each film has five discs. The film occupies two, the Appendices two (as in the original extended-version DVD sets), and Costa's docs are on the fifth. (The making-of documentaries haven't been upgraded to Blu-ray.)

As to the fanfilms being included in any future DVD or Blu-ray release, it seems extremely unlikely. Saul Zaentz gave the makers of the two ones you mentioned a hard time, and apparently they had to sign agreements that they wouldn't make money and would not make any other fanfilms--which seems rather draconian. They're both available online, though, as far as I know. They're also occasionally shown at conferences and festivals. Both were shown at the "Return of the Ring" event in August. Obviously no admission was charged.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 4 2012, 6:24pm

Post #6 of 12 (267 views)
Shortcut
Lothlorien is it. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the only scene in the TEs that is not in the EEs. It's actually one of the reasons I like to watch FOTR TE. It's a great little bit, probably not any longer than 30 seconds, but I still like it.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 5 2012, 4:08am

Post #7 of 12 (121 views)
Shortcut
That was one of the most surprising additions. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wait... so which is it; "You cannot go forward" or "You cannot go back"?.....make up your mind!

Darn Elves, saying both no and yes. WinkLaugh

Silverlode

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 5 2012, 4:29am

Post #8 of 12 (137 views)
Shortcut
"Do not go to the elves for advice... [In reply to] Can't Post

for they will say both yes and no." Or something to that effect.

It's funny that you bring that up because I'd never ever thought about it that way. I guess because I don't watch it enough anymore.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 5 2012, 5:14am

Post #9 of 12 (121 views)
Shortcut
It's the only change [In reply to] Can't Post

which is opposite of the scene it replaced. Everything else is an addition or an expansion, but that one flipped from the Fellowship basically being taken captive to Aragorn arguing and begging to be let in. Gave me a bit of whiplash the first time. Wink

Silverlode

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 5 2012, 6:02am

Post #10 of 12 (115 views)
Shortcut
Whiplash [In reply to] Can't Post

It is odd that it's so different. I wonder was it a reshoot, because I'm fairly sure the extended scene was shot early based on Legolas's different costume. At least, that's what I remember hearing from somewhere. But then it seems odd that they would revert back to the old scene for the extended edition. Oh well! I'm happy to have both available. Smile

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 5 2012, 6:15am

Post #11 of 12 (116 views)
Shortcut
IRC, originally [In reply to] Can't Post

they shot a whole mini-battle with orcs on the borders of Lothlorien also, with the subplot that the Elves were angry because the Fellowship had woken the Balrog and brought the orcs to their borders. I think the original was part of that - that's why Aragorn had to plead for them to be let in? Then they cut that whole subplot for time and pacing and reshot it so that they were basically captured and taken straight to Galadriel for the Theatrical.

Or maybe the battle was part of the reshoot....argh, it's been too long. All I know for sure is that they cut the original version for time and switched it but when they were doing the EEs they went back to the original plan and that's why the Extended version is the older footage with the early Gimli makeup. But the battle never made it into either version.

Silverlode

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 5 2012, 6:24am

Post #12 of 12 (343 views)
Shortcut
Sounds confusing :) [In reply to] Can't Post

But thanks for trying to straighten it out. Interestingly, I think both versions work very well, but as you say they're in such contrast to each other. I think the theatrical version leans towards setting up Galadriel in a powerful and strange and dark sort of way. But the EE seems to set her up as more mystical and mysterious and a "lady of light."

I'm glad we could see both!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.