Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Opinions on Film Critics?

Aragorn the Elfstone
Gondor

Dec 5 2012, 3:41am

Views: 287
Shortcut
Opinions on Film Critics? Can't Post

Anybody up for discussing their feelings on the idea of film critics, or how you react to them? This is relevant, of course, to the flood of Hobbit reviews that have come in over the past 24 hours. But since things are a little hot blooded on the topic over on the Hobbit board, I thought I'd raise the topic over here.

It's hard for me to not respect film critics on some level, since they basically do what I love to do all the time - only they get paid for it. Cool But, at the same time, I've got a sort of love/hate relationship with them. Without film critics, there's probably a fair amount of great films I wouldn't see - yet, on the other hand, they often influence my judgement of films before I even get to see them. On occassion, I go out of my way to not read reviews - and find that my opinion on a film may vary wildly from the majority of critics (though sometimes I find them right on the money).

I also think that the fact that they're subjected to such an enormous amount of films throughout the year is like a double edged sword. In one sense - they are always on the look out for unique films and filmmaking. This allows them to recommend us real jewels that can inspire us in surprising ways. But on the other hand, this often gets in the way of them enjoying somewhat simpler pleasures.

I've come around to appreciating critics more and more over the years. My favorite films of the past couple years have actually been critical favorites - Inglourious Basterds, The Tree of Life, Hugo, etc. Yet, in other instances (such as Million Dollar Baby, The Social Network, etc.) I've been unimpressed with their choices for best of the year. And then, this year, my favorite film thus far - Anna Karenina - has been wildly divisive and far from revered by most of the critical community.

...and, of course, I presume I'll also be an enormous fan of a certain December release Wink, which also seems to be getting a divisive response.

What say you, fellow TORNsibs? Do you read reviews before going to the movies? Do you often find yourself in agreement? Or do you find them to be merely more jaded moviegoers? Tongue

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 5 2012, 3:47am)

Subject User Time
Opinions on Film Critics? Aragorn the Elfstone Send a private message to Aragorn the Elfstone Dec 5 2012, 3:41am
    The critics are one source of information Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Dec 5 2012, 4:09am
        The best criticism is meant to be read after you see the film, not before. N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Dec 5 2012, 4:44am
            Those words are quite eloquent! Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Dec 5 2012, 3:01pm
            "what will always elude the test of objective truth will at least become a kind of art: the art of illumination, persuasion, and good thinking and writing." squire Send a private message to squire Dec 5 2012, 7:44pm
    It kind of reminds me of Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Dec 5 2012, 5:03am
        Your last comments... Aragorn the Elfstone Send a private message to Aragorn the Elfstone Dec 5 2012, 5:13am
            I agree with you about Roger Ebert. Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Dec 5 2012, 5:22am
        oh, I like that Annael Send a private message to Annael Dec 10 2012, 3:14pm
            One way I think critical analysis is very helpful... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Dec 10 2012, 3:25pm
    Tangentially, Tampa Phil Send a private message to Tampa Phil Dec 5 2012, 3:09pm
    I'm afraid that I no longer have much respect for some critics.. Radagast-Aiwendil Send a private message to Radagast-Aiwendil Dec 5 2012, 5:51pm
        Yes, many critics are bad, just as many films are bad. N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Dec 5 2012, 8:03pm
            Yes I agree with you on the whole Radagast-Aiwendil Send a private message to Radagast-Aiwendil Dec 5 2012, 9:54pm
    I never read the critics Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Dec 5 2012, 6:21pm
        The best criticism helps us better understand the work being considered. N.E. Brigand Send a private message to N.E. Brigand Dec 5 2012, 8:10pm
            I should have prefaced... Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Dec 5 2012, 8:14pm
            That's what I'm looking for Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Dec 5 2012, 9:59pm
    I believe in Critic Shopping. Kelly of Water's Edge Send a private message to Kelly of Water's Edge Dec 6 2012, 1:43am
        Rotten Tomatoes has no consensus about The Hobbit. Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Dec 6 2012, 10:50pm
            Statistics as a barometer for success... Morthoron Send a private message to Morthoron Dec 9 2012, 3:16pm
                82% out of roughly 500,000 people say they liked Twilight: Breaking Dawn Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Dec 9 2012, 7:11pm
                    really Annael Send a private message to Annael Dec 9 2012, 7:12pm
    Blargh! Critics! Asy Send a private message to Asy Dec 9 2012, 7:01pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.