Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit villians better than LOTR!

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 9:27pm

Post #1 of 20 (1665 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit villians better than LOTR! Can't Post

Yes I said it! LOTR: 1)Sauron-a flaming eye on top of a tower(Barad-dur) 2)orcs including the Uruk-Hai 3)Saruman 4)Shelob 5)Gothmog 6) Haradrim 7)Morgul orcs 8)Witch-King
The HOBBIT: 1)The three trolls 2)Misty Mountain orcs 3)Gobling King 4)Dol Guldur orcs(including hunter orcs) 5)Wargs 6)Yazneg 7)Narzug 8)Mirkwood spiders 9)Smaug 10)heck Mirkwood forest itself! 11)Azog 12)Necromancer Weigh in people...

Avnar
Lorien

Dec 4 2012, 9:32pm

Post #2 of 20 (643 views)
Shortcut
How can we weigh in yet? [In reply to] Can't Post

No-one (here) has seen the film yet...

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 9:44pm

Post #3 of 20 (584 views)
Shortcut
I was talking about the number of.... [In reply to] Can't Post

villians you have to work with in comparison. Yes I realize we have not seen them in action, but based on even reading the books you have to say more antagonist are generalized in the Hobbit whereas many in LOTR are villians that are not direct antagonist to the core characters(good guys so to speak).

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 9:45pm

Post #4 of 20 (579 views)
Shortcut
I think you meant to say MORE villains. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless you've seen the movie, how can you weigh in on whether or not these villains end up being "better"? Especially considering we won't even hear Smaug speak for another year.

And if you're going by numbers, your list is unfair.
Here are more complete versions of your lists:

Lord of the Rings:
1. Sauron
2. Moria Orcs
3. Mordor Orcs
4. Isengard Orcs
5. Morgul Orcs
6. Isengard Uruk-hai
7. Mordor Uruk-hai
8. Wargs
9. Saruman
10. Shelob
11. Gothmog
12. Witch King
13. Lurtz
14. Ugluk
15. Grishnakh
16. Gorbag
17. Shagrat
18. Khamul
19. Mouth of Sauron
20. Sharku
21. Cave Troll
22. Olog-hai
23. Mountain Trolls
24. Easterlings
25. Ring Wraiths
26. Fell Beasts
27. Grima Wormtongue
28. the Watcher in the Water
29. the Balrog

I'm sure I missed some obvious ones.

The Hobbit:
1. Tom
2. Bert
3. William
4. Goblins
5. the Great Goblin
6. Dol Guldur Orcs
7. Wargs
8. Yazneg
9. Narzug
10. Fimbul
11. Mirkwood Spiders
12. Smaug
13. Azog
14. Bolg
15. Necromancer/Sauron
16. Grinnah

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Dec 4 2012, 9:47pm)

adnan
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 9:55pm

Post #5 of 20 (532 views)
Shortcut
hmmm! [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't seen all of them yet obviously, but I have to say the villains do seem better for the Hobbit trilogy. I just love the fact that the Goblins/orcs are being established this time, to me that is more fascinating than Smaug, who will probably get less screen time during the course of this trilogy than the Goblins/Orcs.

You can even add Lee Pace to that list I suppose, though he is more of an anti-hero than a villain.

Rivendell

ForestPark
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 9:58pm

Post #6 of 20 (520 views)
Shortcut
And a partrige in a pear tree ! [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush xoxox

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 10:03pm

Post #7 of 20 (530 views)
Shortcut
Aside from.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Grima Wormtoungue and the Witch-king none of those characters had a fleshed out character as in dialogue, a character that is seen to be a villian that plays a MAJOR role, most of those were space takers and some did not even serve as major antagonist, other than Shelob attacking Sam and Frodo...at least we have heard the Hobbit ones to supposed to have...unless we were lied to! Goblin King is supposed to be this type character along with Bolg,Azog,Fimbul and others including Smaug...just by what he is supposed to do in his face off with Bilbo in Erebor!

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 10:30pm

Post #8 of 20 (498 views)
Shortcut
Azog and Bolg [In reply to] Can't Post

It's definitely going to be interesting have some more personal stakes with these two villains.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 5 2012, 1:04am

Post #9 of 20 (382 views)
Shortcut
You missed some: [In reply to] Can't Post

Lord of the Rings:

30. Corsairs of Umbar
31. Haradrim
32. Mumakil
33. Snaga
34. Wildmen of Dunland

Wink

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 5 2012, 1:07am

Post #10 of 20 (349 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I think Saruman had enough dialogue to be called a MAJOR ROLE (at least in FOTR and TTT)... what would you say? And the Mouth of Sauron had more lines than the Witch King Tongue

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

aifeme
Rivendell

Dec 5 2012, 1:28am

Post #11 of 20 (327 views)
Shortcut
You forgot about the farmer Maggot and his dogs chasing hobbits [In reply to] Can't Post

;)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 5 2012, 7:53am

Post #12 of 20 (246 views)
Shortcut
The great thing about The Hobbit is [In reply to] Can't Post

That the BO5A is far superior to any other battle during the War of the Ring (in my opinion).

You have the Dwarves inside the Mountain, Elves and Men, Goblins and Wargs, more Dwarves, bats, trolls, Beorn and Bilbo and Gandalf!

It's just so much more exciting than the Battle of the Hornburg!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

The Preciousss
Bree

Dec 5 2012, 8:51am

Post #13 of 20 (222 views)
Shortcut
And you missed even more... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Lord of the Rings:

30. Corsairs of Umbar
31. Haradrim
32. Mumakil
33. Snaga
34. Wildmen of Dunland

Wink

35. Old Man Willow
36. Sackville-Bagginses
Wink

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 5 2012, 11:52am

Post #14 of 20 (188 views)
Shortcut
and two very iconic ones: [In reply to] Can't Post

And of course two of the most iconic ones:

37. Gollum

38. The One Ring

joec_34
Rivendell

Dec 5 2012, 3:37pm

Post #15 of 20 (146 views)
Shortcut
Gothmog: Point of Clarification [In reply to] Can't Post

When was Gothmog in LOTR? Wasn't he killed by Ecthelion of the Fountain (the elf from Gondolin)? Perhaps there was a different character named Gothmog; I just finished reading The Silmarillion, (and copious wiki pages to help me keep the characters straight,) but it's been a while since I read LOTR. Speaking of wikipedia, I just discovered the answer to my question: Gothmog is also the name of the commander in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields after the Witch King dies, but we don't really know anything else about him. So to clarify, the Gothmog in LOTR isn't half as bad as Gothmog the balrog.

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Dec 5 2012, 4:22pm

Post #16 of 20 (122 views)
Shortcut
Gothmog in the ..... [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR was the deformed orc under the command of the Witch-king at the major battle at the end of the Return of the King (Pellenor). Remember he came across on a raft with some of the orcs from Minas Morgul.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2012, 4:27pm

Post #17 of 20 (112 views)
Shortcut
ROTK Gothmog [In reply to] Can't Post

I may be off on this, but Isn't Gothmog in The Return of the King a movie only character?

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Dec 5 2012, 4:32pm

Post #18 of 20 (107 views)
Shortcut
Yes he is but... [In reply to] Can't Post

when I started this thread I meant for it to refer to Hobbit characters in the book and movies.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 5 2012, 4:33pm

Post #19 of 20 (106 views)
Shortcut
Yes and No [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a "Gothmog" mentioned in Tolkiens ROTK. The lieutenant of Minas Morgul, a servant of the Witch King or something like that who took over after the end of his master. But I think it was never clear if Tolkiens Gothmog is an orc, black numenorean, a Nazgūl or something else. Peter Jackson and his team descided that Gothmog should be an orc commander... a very evil one.

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Dec 5 2012, 4:33pm)

YaznegSouth40
Rivendell

Dec 5 2012, 4:37pm

Post #20 of 20 (116 views)
Shortcut
DanielLB... [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah you are right, that's another thing about the Hobbit....BETTER major battle! Yes the BO5A will trump any from LOTR everbody just watch! I have that feeling! Heck I always preferred it even from the book! Just more interesting.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.