Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
One Reviews Thread to Rule them all ... (EMBARGO LIFTS: 9 PM PST)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2012, 5:59pm

Post #226 of 237 (2204 views)
Shortcut
I agree with this to a certain extent [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
ALA all three installments of LotR. If it's incomplete or aimless, it's a failing of AUJ's (or more particularly, the move from two to three films more than likely). It is not a misconception that a film has to work as a stand-alone work of art and/or entertainment, even if two additional installments are planned...IMO Fellowship worked perfectly, including the opening scenes in the Shire, even without the following hours in TTT and RotK.

But I don't really agree that Fellowship worked as it's own movie, since it clearly leads into The Two Towers and if The Two Towers hadn't come along Fellowship would have been a disaster. But that's my opinion.

I think this movie should be able to stand on its own as a chapter of a story. It should be entertaining and make us look forward to the next chapters. If it doesn't do that, it fails.

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 6:27pm

Post #227 of 237 (2171 views)
Shortcut
Past LOTR Reviews [In reply to] Can't Post

As I'm writing this, the film is currently on an 'average rating of 6.6/10". It's important to note that

FOTR had - 8.1/10

TTT had - 8.4/10

ROTK had 8.6/10

It's interesting to note that TTT had a higher average score than FOTR, even though many critics regard FOTR as a better movie. I think TTT had this higher score due to the fact that it follows on from such a critically acclaimed film and carries that on. I suspect that DOS will most likely be similar.

Don't despair my fellow ringers, i remember even some of the early reviews for FOTR had negative points based on running time etc.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 4 2012, 6:31pm

Post #228 of 237 (2137 views)
Shortcut
Another review now says it's Old Bilbo who narrates the prologue. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 6:32pm

Post #229 of 237 (2139 views)
Shortcut
That's strange i'm sure i read somewhere it was Galadriel? [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 4 2012, 6:37pm

Post #230 of 237 (2120 views)
Shortcut
Yup! [In reply to] Can't Post

2 different reviews, 2 different narrators!

Where they watching the same film?!

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

lgghanem
The Shire

Dec 4 2012, 7:02pm

Post #231 of 237 (2066 views)
Shortcut
It probably will feel a complete film that nonetheless needs a continuation [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, but only partially. While Fellowship worked as a complete film, it wouldn't have without the promise of a sequel. Even Two Towers got some criticism for it being the middle section (no beginning and no end) even after Jackson modified the source material to give Frodo a climactic sequence to match Helm's Deep.
I sincerely doubt AUJ will be incomplete or aimless--it even gives Bilbo a miniature character arc, or so I hear. But unlike LotR, it's not based on three separate books (and even those had to be meddled with to make three semi-standalone films), but on one story, and so it'll play less like, say, Empire Strikes Back, and more like Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1.
Anyway my point was that even if it didn't stand alone as a film, I personally wouldn't mind as I see it as part of a whole anyway.

blakeyamc
The Shire

Dec 4 2012, 7:48pm

Post #232 of 237 (1977 views)
Shortcut
A Change of heart? [In reply to] Can't Post

This reviewer saw it twice and had a better time, the 2nd time he saw it at 48FPS.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...1204,0,4811548.story

"SECOND THOUGHTS: At the time this story was originally published on Monday night, I was seeing "The Hobbit" for the second time, again at 48fps. And I have to admit that not only did the movie strike me as better - faster and more entertaining, though still padded and at times silly - but the format wasn't as bothersome.

I still think the high frame rate takes you out of the movie at times, particularly in scenes that feature well-lit actors prominently in the frame. But about half the time, the format came closer to justifying Jackson's experiment than it had seemed on first viewing.

So maybe I'm just one of those viewers who needs more time to adjust."

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 9:32pm

Post #233 of 237 (1886 views)
Shortcut
78 on RT [In reply to] Can't Post

average score of 6.7/10

this is out of 18 reviews

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Escapist
Gondor

Dec 5 2012, 12:15am

Post #234 of 237 (1796 views)
Shortcut
lots of criticism there! [In reply to] Can't Post

looks like it would have been hard to make this guy happy once the decisions to use JRRT's material in 48fps were established Tongue

Escapist
Gondor

Dec 5 2012, 12:19am

Post #235 of 237 (1789 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't be surprised [In reply to] Can't Post

if there was almost an hour in Bilbo's house. There are 15 intros, an exciting backstory, and a full-on party following a meal and official arrangements.

I guess from this it seems that NZ was the right location for shooting this movie Wink

totoro
Lorien

Dec 5 2012, 4:33am

Post #236 of 237 (1744 views)
Shortcut
I love the reviews [In reply to] Can't Post

The good ones say the things I like. The bad ones complain about things I won't. Good news!

Rostron2
Gondor

Dec 7 2012, 6:49pm

Post #237 of 237 (1690 views)
Shortcut
Reviews [In reply to] Can't Post

The common theme to me in all these reviews is that they did two things that the critics didn't like:

1. They overdid it on a number of things like the CGI/Effects
2. They overdid it on the characters

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me. I'm familiar with the history and backstory and all the details will make me happy, but the mainstream viewer is going to be overloaded. Of course, I can't just, having not seen the film.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.