Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Would you name your kids after Tolkien characters?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Would you name your kids after Tolkien characters?
Frodo
Galadriel
Aragorn
Elrond
Eowyn
Eomer
Shelob
Sauron
Luthien
Beren
Varda
Morgoth
Arwen
Hurin
Other
View Results (128 votes)

imin
Valinor

Dec 2 2012, 12:37am

Post #51 of 101 (499 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

the child would be bullied for those names.

Brooklyn is the name of Beckham's kid and people laugh about that name now.

I think its a difficult thing picking a name. No one wants to be boring or unimaginative but at the same time it cant be so weird that the kid is going to suffer from having the name.

Here is a clip which i think is exactly about what we are discussing. Its by David Mitchell a comedian from the UK and its his online series called Soapbox where he has little humourous rants. I tend to agree with what he says here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xblh12XgQ4o

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 3 2012, 4:14pm

Post #52 of 101 (444 views)
Shortcut
Well, having an unusual name myself, I wouldn't pick one that is too "out there". [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't be opposed to Elanor, though. It sounds normal enough, but special due to its spelling.

My neighbor's sister's daughter is named Savannah Arwen, though. Not sure it goes together, but, hey, not my kid I have to yell at. Tongue

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Dec 3 2012, 4:50pm

Post #53 of 101 (462 views)
Shortcut
Cats [In reply to] Can't Post

No.

But we named our two sibling cats Sam and Frodo.

Sam turned out to be the adventurous one.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 3 2012, 5:18pm

Post #54 of 101 (468 views)
Shortcut
Not that it works in the conetext of this thread, but that was voted the best joke at the Edinburgh Festival [In reply to] Can't Post

You know who gives kids a bad name?

The Beckhams.

LR

Kassandros
Rohan

Dec 3 2012, 5:23pm

Post #55 of 101 (440 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't think a kid would be bullied for "Suri" or "Brooklyn". They seem pretty normal to me.

I mean, bullies can use pretty much anything to bully people over. Doesn't mean we have to rename everyone John Smith and cover them in white paint and forbid them from having any hobbies and interests other than playing football and harassing girls. Yeah, some names should be avoided, but at the end of the day, if someone is bullying bases on names like those, the blame lies with the bully.

Hell, in middle school, other kids made up a name to call me based on a music video that contained a kid they thought looked like me. So even with a "normal" name like I have, that didn't really change anything. Hell, later on I got called a name of a sitcom character too. So yeah. Any name is fine, I think, unless it's something like "Poopoohead" or the like.

CuriousG
Valinor

Dec 3 2012, 6:58pm

Post #56 of 101 (456 views)
Shortcut
There can be a lack of bullying [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't go to school with exceptionally enlightened people, so there was bullying, but very little when it came to names. There were two boys (different families) who moved into our district, Utah and Ford, so an American state and a car, and that was unusual in a school full of kids named Mike, Debbie, Susan, and Rick. But other than gossiping behind their backs when they were new that they had funny names, they fit in, and their names became a non-issue.

As you point out, there can be surprises with common names. One new guy was named Stephen, and he spelled it that way instead of as Steven (we had several of those). Some people picked on him for that more classical spelling, calling him "Stephanie." Anything can be used against you.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2012, 7:10am

Post #57 of 101 (466 views)
Shortcut
I just remembered the name I had once thought would be nice for a girl [In reply to] Can't Post

Melian, which translates as beloved, is really pretty and has a wonderful meaning. I would definitely consider Melian if I were to have a baby.

imin
Valinor

Dec 4 2012, 4:41pm

Post #58 of 101 (416 views)
Shortcut
I think it just depends [In reply to] Can't Post

I see no reason to pick a really random name just for the sake of being different - kinda like the link i pasted, but as i didnt link it properly i doubt many watched it, lol.

To me Suri and Brooklyn are most definitely odd names for people.

I have found from living in the US compared to the UK, that names are much more 'random' in USA or should i say many names that i had never heard of before i came to America. Lots of names are given to boys when they are girls names and vice versa which i thought was really odd as its just confusing things.

At the end of the day a bully will find a reason to bully someone if they are that way but i do think there is a certain responsibility not to saddle a child with a completely unique name - some names are even illegal/banned for this very reason - they dont have to all be offensive either its just if they are too random.

I think in Germany they cant use names which are too androgynous as it causes confusion.

I think it just comes down to if one is comfortable giving a name which perhaps is more widely known or if you want the child to have literally a one of name.

From having family members who hate their completely individual name it makes me biased towards more regular names - mine is regular and i really like it :)

sherlock
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 5:25pm

Post #59 of 101 (427 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish I had used that for my daughter. I wasn't as into Tolkien when I had her as I am now so I didn't even think along those lines. But I've always liked that name & it's unusual spelling.

sherlock
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 5:33pm

Post #60 of 101 (424 views)
Shortcut
I have a dog named Pippin [In reply to] Can't Post

She's a puggle & when I rescued her her name was Poquito. I wanted to keep the P at the beginning & wanted a hobbit name but my husband didn't like any of the female ones I was considering like Pansy, Poppy, Pearl, Pimpernel, Pervinca or Primula but he did like Pippin. I'm kind of glad we picked the more common name because people often recognize it.

sherlock
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 5:54pm

Post #61 of 101 (411 views)
Shortcut
I like Beren, Luthien, [In reply to] Can't Post

Varda & Arwen but I'm not sure I'd want to saddle a child with any thing so unusual. The more common names like Sam or Elanor would be ok, though.

sherlock
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 6:01pm

Post #62 of 101 (451 views)
Shortcut
When I was pregnant & people asked us about [In reply to] Can't Post

names my husband would reply "If it's a boy we'll name him Dump-truck & a girl we'll name her Latrina. He was joking, of course, but he was always so deadpan that some people didn't get the joke.

sherlock
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 6:10pm

Post #63 of 101 (405 views)
Shortcut
I remember [In reply to] Can't Post

Moon Unit & Dweezil but not the others. My husband was a big Frank Zappa fan-me, not so much!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 4 2012, 6:17pm

Post #64 of 101 (410 views)
Shortcut
That hilarious!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 4 2012, 6:21pm

Post #65 of 101 (414 views)
Shortcut
When we bought our house, [In reply to] Can't Post

the lady who worked on our loan was named Latrina. She was really grouchy and unhelpful and I attributed it to her being named after a toilet. Sly

My brother in law always said if they had a boy he would have been named Bucket. ShockedCrazy

sherlock
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 6:21pm

Post #66 of 101 (397 views)
Shortcut
And isn't there someone with a son named [In reply to] Can't Post

Faramir?

sherlock
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 6:26pm

Post #67 of 101 (389 views)
Shortcut
That's funny! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish my husband was alive so I could tell him about Latrina. We once saw a guy on the local news named LaTroll. He was naturally up to no good, We cracked up over that one. My husband died in 2010 & of the many things I miss about him his sense of humor is right up there.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 4 2012, 6:27pm

Post #68 of 101 (396 views)
Shortcut
I once knew someone [In reply to] Can't Post

whose last name was Lee. He said he was going to name his son Ug... Unimpressed

sherlock
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 6:30pm

Post #69 of 101 (404 views)
Shortcut
I like that, too!// [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 4 2012, 6:34pm

Post #70 of 101 (438 views)
Shortcut
I have a family member called ... [In reply to] Can't Post

John Johnson ...

Not exactly original, is it?

CuriousG
Valinor

Dec 4 2012, 7:03pm

Post #71 of 101 (397 views)
Shortcut
Well, I hope his dad was named John so the surname will be true.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 4 2012, 7:05pm

Post #72 of 101 (411 views)
Shortcut
I don't understand why [In reply to] Can't Post

people do that. Do they think it's funny? or just don't care?

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just wondering why someone would do that to a kid. Unsure

CuriousG
Valinor

Dec 4 2012, 7:06pm

Post #73 of 101 (391 views)
Shortcut
You'd think that maybe some of the later generations of the Tolkien family would pick up these names. [In reply to] Can't Post

Faramir Tolkien. That would really work.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 4 2012, 7:10pm

Post #74 of 101 (391 views)
Shortcut
By the way... [In reply to] Can't Post

There have been 17 new topics and over 400 posts since I last was on the Hobbit forum. It's killing me not being there! ShockedCrazyUnsureWinkFrownAngelic

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 4 2012, 7:12pm

Post #75 of 101 (389 views)
Shortcut
Not a clue [In reply to] Can't Post

They're not close family - we all think its weird!

I used to know someone with a name similar to this, but I'm having trouble remembering what their name is!Blush

Edit:

Hugh Hughes! That's it.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Dec 4 2012, 7:14pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.