Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
movie is failing
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 4 2012, 3:04pm

Post #26 of 82 (800 views)
Shortcut
We'll see how faithful it is. [In reply to] Can't Post

The clips all look faithful.. . but if the Dwarven and Arnorian history are as jacked as some reports suggest, that ain't faithfulness, and Peter aught to know it.

In Reply To
"There has almost certainly never been an adaptation of a novel more studiously, scrupulously and strenuously faithful as Peter Jackson's film of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Spending nearly three hours of screen time to visually represent every comma, period and semicolon in the first six chapters of the perennially popular 19-chapter book, Jackson and his colleagues have created a purist's delight, something the millions of die-hard fans of his Lord of the Rings trilogy will gorge upon. In pure movie terms, however, it's also a bit of a slog, with an inordinate amount of exposition and lack of strong forward movement."Todd McCarthy

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/hobbit-an-unexpected-journey/review/397416

No need to alarm , for us that are tolkien's fanatics this negative review say all , it is a film for FANS.

greeting from Brazil

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Kaymanklynman
The Shire

Dec 4 2012, 3:07pm

Post #27 of 82 (806 views)
Shortcut
I want slow pacing. [In reply to] Can't Post

"that if consensus is that slow pacing is a problem, that might influence editing decisions for the next 2 installments".

For me the biggest problems of the first 3 movies was the fast pacing....

Cave Troll
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 3:07pm

Post #28 of 82 (792 views)
Shortcut
Was going to say something similar. [In reply to] Can't Post

By far the biggest problem with The Phantom Menace was the dreary storyline, the abysmal acting and the fact that characters were given all the personality of a spoon. These are all things which have (thus far) emerged unscathed in Hobbit reviews.

The Hobbit is already one up on the Star Wars prequels if the fans alone love it.

(This post was edited by Cave Troll on Dec 4 2012, 3:08pm)

Balrogslunch
The Shire

Dec 4 2012, 3:09pm

Post #29 of 82 (791 views)
Shortcut
I dont mind the movie movie critics but..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I dont mind the movie being not liked by critics everyone is entitled to their own opinion.....i just wish some reviewers who dislike it would give constuctive (negative) comments not slating things (with a gun held to their head comments) .....

I think it is also that we care so much for the books and Movies many of us has been brought up on them that it is naturally hard if someone doesnt like what you are very fond of.....and a fair few of the negative reviews dont actually review some are barely able to write 2 paragraphs of comment let alone anything in details regards the negatives.....

read this review and i rest my case.......

http://www.boxoffice.com/...n-unexpected-journey

so not being protective just want someone to be subjective in a non hostile but critical way.....

Kaymanklynman
The Shire

Dec 4 2012, 3:14pm

Post #30 of 82 (778 views)
Shortcut
I my humble opinion .... [In reply to] Can't Post

a negative review from Hollywood it is a good sign.

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 4 2012, 3:15pm

Post #31 of 82 (868 views)
Shortcut
Seriously? [In reply to] Can't Post

The movie hasn't even been released yet so how can it possibly be failing? And despite what the tomato-meter may say, from what I see there have been many positive reviews. Even the ones that are more on the negative side aren't completely negative. Yes, the reviews are mixed, but so what?

Balrogslunch
The Shire

Dec 4 2012, 3:15pm

Post #32 of 82 (756 views)
Shortcut
as long as..... [In reply to] Can't Post

all that is left out is added to the extended versions....but for one i like my monies worth so would rather see a 2.50mins film than 90mins anyday ;),,,,,people seem to only want action and no build-up...these films need the buildup because of all the characters.;..

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 3:17pm

Post #33 of 82 (733 views)
Shortcut
Critics are only human [In reply to] Can't Post

Some are going to be biased towards the franchise, some against. Some want to antagonize the fanbase, some will tread carefully because of it. Most probably just want to do the viewing experience justice.

A hallmark of LOTR was judicious streamlining of an overabundance of source material. The initial impression I get from reviews today is that the opposite has happen this time around. Which doesn't make it a disaster of The Cotton Club proportions. Just a perceived flaw that will probably see reviews tending to the lukewarm instead of wildly excited.

TP.

(This post was edited by Tampa Phil on Dec 4 2012, 3:20pm)

Kaymanklynman
The Shire

Dec 4 2012, 3:17pm

Post #34 of 82 (738 views)
Shortcut
agree 100% [In reply to] Can't Post

Finrod
Rohan

Dec 4 2012, 3:22pm

Post #35 of 82 (779 views)
Shortcut
Time is on his side [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson has much more time on his side to tell the tale now. Although there are issues with the peremptory analysis that claims he spent two minutes a page — basically, two chapters per hour — it is unquestionably true that Jackson has more screentime available to him here in The Hobbit than he had in the The Lord of the Rings.

That doesn’t entirely invalidate Christopher Tolkien’s stinging criticism that pandering to a mass-market audience necessarily warps his father’s tales by turning them into nothing more than action-adventure tales for youth. But it may on this occasion take a bit of the biting edge off that sting.

Some of the points of criticism are to me cause for celebration. For example, I am cheered that they criticize the singing. “Oh gosh, there were not one but two dwarf-songs before the hack-a-thon kicked into gear,” wail the impatient critics.

Fine by me. The lack of song in Jackson’s earlier movies adapting Tolkien has always bothered me. Song is important to the work; just look at what a good job Sibley did with it in his BBC radio adaptation. So unlike its critics, I for one am glad it is there. I am even more overjoyed that it is sung in the very style that the Professor himself envisioned it sung in.

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

(This post was edited by Finrod on Dec 4 2012, 3:24pm)

MorgolKing
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 3:33pm

Post #36 of 82 (704 views)
Shortcut
Lets be careful not to be hypocritical [In reply to] Can't Post

I for one am concerned at the reviews so far. Typically the RT meter hits a high with the early reviews and then drops as other reviews follow en masse.

More importantly, I've seen this kind of reaction to negative reviews in other fan bases. Recent cases involve fans of Transformers or Batman fans (after the Dark Knight Rises) called out critics for being "elitists" and having hidden agendas.

Those arguments don't hold water; these are the same critics how almost uniformly praised past movies in the series or similar movies in the genre which were better executed.

In our case, many of these critics are the same ones who gave big thumbs up to FoTR which did go into a lot of exposition and did not contain as many scenes tailored to please the general public as its predecessors. I hope we all enjoy the movie more than some of these critics, but to simply dismiss their opinions because we don't like the result is disingenuous. We'd be celebrating if the reviews were glowing endorsements.

Kaymanklynman
The Shire

Dec 4 2012, 3:33pm

Post #37 of 82 (715 views)
Shortcut
And Finrod Fell...Gil Galad [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzoYhRhUsfA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BquuEMC0ei8

You nailed..... agree 100% with you.

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 3:35pm

Post #38 of 82 (678 views)
Shortcut
You are [In reply to] Can't Post

Onto something. I've actually found that all of the reviews, positive or negative have just confirmed in my mind that I am going to love it.
As or the Phantom Menace comparisons. People have been wanting to compare this to the failed Star Wars prequel since before it was in pre-production. Frankly, I find the fact that people are still wanting to do this childish, distasteful, and an all around cop out.
The people that want this film to fail will say its a failure. PERIOD.

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 3:35pm

Post #39 of 82 (700 views)
Shortcut
Well, let's see: [In reply to] Can't Post

- doesn't hit the emotional heights of it's widely respected predecessor trilogy, check

- overabundance of CGI, much of it repetitive and some of it clunky, check

- critics not sold on comic relief characters and/or moments, check

- elements of fanbase upset at less than stellar reviews, check

So yes, something of that vibe.

TP.

Balrogslunch
The Shire

Dec 4 2012, 3:38pm

Post #40 of 82 (665 views)
Shortcut
errrrr check [In reply to] Can't Post

someone with a dastardly photo ..trying to stir up people

.,..........check ;)

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 3:43pm

Post #41 of 82 (640 views)
Shortcut
I get this in real life [In reply to] Can't Post

On the few occasions I'm trying to be (somewhat) serious, I get people look at me waiting for the punchline.

Still, that's the bed I make for myself.

TP.

Shagrat
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 3:53pm

Post #42 of 82 (597 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

Surely the fact that it doesn't hit the same emotional heights is inevitable, given that there is nothing really emotional in the sections of the book it is adapting?

The questionable comic relief moments could easily be applied to Gimli in TTT and ROTK, which were most certainly pretty goofy.

The point about the fanbase has nothing to do with the film itself.

The only point I do concur with is the use of CGI, which we've known about for a while now and should probably just resign ourselves to. What concerns me is that some might be less than perfect, especially Azog. But then even when you watch something like The Avengers, the very best CGI on moving creatures still cannot hide that they are CGI creations. And short of using animatronics and puppetry, which offer severe restrictions to a film-maker, I really don't see what else can be done.

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 4:00pm

Post #43 of 82 (591 views)
Shortcut
On the positive side [In reply to] Can't Post

this review seems to embrace the ethos behind the adaptation, and while echoing pacing issues, puts a positive spin on almost everything else: tone, characterization, effects, score.

http://www.hollywood.com/...rs_Prequels/45498155

TP.

Balrogslunch
The Shire

Dec 4 2012, 4:08pm

Post #44 of 82 (548 views)
Shortcut
yeh i like that one [In reply to] Can't Post

i think it was posted in another section earlier.....i really like this review...balanced and constructive ....i also like reviews good or bad if they dont give a score....an opinion if written well cant be given a score....

shadowfaux
Bree

Dec 4 2012, 4:26pm

Post #45 of 82 (515 views)
Shortcut
This will be a fun movie! I'm so excited! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't wait! Sorry if a movie needs> xx% to satisfy you, but I have read almost every review and watched the clips and haven't seen anything to make me think this will be a bad addition to the LOTR family.

For years I would say to people, "oh, he can't make the hobbit, it would be a disaster, all those dwarves ....", but somehow he is pulling this off!

I have no choice but to see it in 3D 24fps (I like 3D) first, but a week later I will be in a big city to try out the HFR presentation. I can't wait to compare the differences! I figure I will see it plenty of times in 2D at home, want to take advantage of the fancy tech on the big screen while I can!

nobofthepony
Lorien

Dec 4 2012, 4:58pm

Post #46 of 82 (441 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit will not fail [In reply to] Can't Post

A movie is measured by how much money it makes. This movie will make boatloads of money.

It is critic-proof.

That's why they were able to make three. It can't fail.

So rest easy, I'm going to. I'll probably see this one at least 4 times in the theater and I'm not alone.

haarp
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 5:26pm

Post #47 of 82 (380 views)
Shortcut
,kkk [In reply to] Can't Post

Ain't it cool review 'wrap this up, and get the hell out of Middle Earth'

And therein lies the potential problem with the next two movies. AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY runs a healthy 160-plus minutes, and more than half of it is filler. Worse, I know goddamn well there's not 320-minutes worth of story left. Not even close. If I felt like Jackson was attacking this book with the all-in bravado he brought to THE LORD OF THE RINGS (and setting up more than Tolkien's book delivers), I'd forgive the bloat. But the listlessness of AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY reminds me of the slow boat to Skull Island in KING KONG. We're adrift. So please, Mr. Jackson, wrap this up, and get the hell out of Middle Earth. This is beginning to feel more like cartography than storytelling.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59869

please, we need a wizard to save this film...

Carne
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2012, 5:30pm

Post #48 of 82 (366 views)
Shortcut
Save this film? [In reply to] Can't Post

The majority of reviews are positive, you just seem to focus on the negative ones.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2012, 5:31pm

Post #49 of 82 (350 views)
Shortcut
Why do we need a wizard to save this? [In reply to] Can't Post

Somebody just posted it's got a like a 91% fan review rating on rotten tomatoes.

Thou shalt not cherry-pick thy reviews. Wink

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 4 2012, 5:35pm

Post #50 of 82 (351 views)
Shortcut
Cherry picking indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

That review had some positives in it.

Did you not expect there to be negative reviews? It confuses me as to why people are so influenced by other people's reviews.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.