Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
One Reviews Thread to Rule them all ... (EMBARGO LIFTS: 9 PM PST)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

ElendurTheFaithful
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 12:16pm

Post #201 of 237 (3330 views)
Shortcut
I LOVE THIS GUY [In reply to] Can't Post

James Rocchi
" Tolkien could invent names and languages, but he couldn't create a plot at gunpoint. "
Score 2.5/5

Battleship (yep that stuff with rihanna about a board game without a plot)
Score: 4.5/5

LOL

does he do it on purpose?

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 5 2012, 1:01am)

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 4 2012, 12:21pm

Post #202 of 237 (3283 views)
Shortcut
That guy seems to have a rabid hatred of Tolkien... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that transcends the films, so I'm not sure what Jackson could have done to make him like the film.

That's the problem here - some people (like him) hate Tolkien with such venom that the only way to make them like a Tolkien film would be to make it utterly unrecognisable from the source text.

* crunch *

Glóin the Dark
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 12:22pm

Post #203 of 237 (3370 views)
Shortcut
On Bloatedness [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's "bloated" in the same way as King Kong then that's fine with me. Kong isn't bloated! It's spacious...

People are in such a hurry to get films over with these days.

ElendurTheFaithful
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 12:26pm

Post #204 of 237 (3268 views)
Shortcut
a [In reply to] Can't Post

Not so long ago, when dark knight rises came out, RT boss had to write a post about

1. fans who attacked critics that didn't write good things about movie and kept it below 90%
2. critics who purposely wrote bad review so they attract large amount of clicks and visitors on their pages.

only reason to give hobbit 2/5 and battleship 4.5/5 is because of wanting to force reaction form (pissed off) fans to came on your page and comment your review

(This post was edited by ElendurTheFaithful on Dec 4 2012, 12:28pm)

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 12:51pm

Post #205 of 237 (3286 views)
Shortcut
Now on 75 on RT // [In reply to] Can't Post

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 12:59pm

Post #206 of 237 (3301 views)
Shortcut
otherwise meaning [In reply to] Can't Post

3/12 negative reviews

-Irfon

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 1:10pm

Post #207 of 237 (3189 views)
Shortcut
Now on 77 RT // [In reply to] Can't Post

-Irfon

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 4 2012, 1:15pm

Post #208 of 237 (3186 views)
Shortcut
I hope the film is as exciting as this ;-) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 4 2012, 1:16pm

Post #209 of 237 (3174 views)
Shortcut
Happy to hear that! [In reply to] Can't Post

because I will never get over how good the LotR prologue was narrated by her (even though The Hobbit one probably won't be quite as epic).

It seems the reviews are pretty much what I expected them to be: good but not quite as good as LOTR. If there was no LOTR to compare it to, we'd probably be seeing a lot more praise. Based on the early reviews, I have no reason to worry at least for my part. I'm sure I'll enjoy the film.

Glóin the Dark
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 1:53pm

Post #210 of 237 (3124 views)
Shortcut
Down to 71% now... [In reply to] Can't Post

...due in part to Todd McCarthy's unenthusiastic review.

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 4 2012, 2:04pm

Post #211 of 237 (3082 views)
Shortcut
RT [In reply to] Can't Post

The thing about RT and a lot of review sites is as someone said earlier people will say negative stuff because its going to grab them the most attention especially on films like The Hobbit. So some of the negative reviews you really have to read them to see if they understand the material, hate Tolkien/Jackson in general, are trolling to troll, etc all in the name of making their name bigger. At this point a lot of the reviews that are negative seem to do that or they just like mindless stuff like giving Battleship a higher score (I've seen that film and own it on blu its nothing but mindless action) or the guy who gave Resident Evil a better score. You have to dig deeper as I said to see if this is an honest negative review or if their is a hideen agenda/they just don't like this genre.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 4 2012, 2:19pm

Post #212 of 237 (3054 views)
Shortcut
Well I'm not sure about that hatred bit. [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of the reviews, positive and negative seem to offer perfectly reasonable reasons for their likes and dislikes. Where those include Tolkien or the aspects of the film which we might imagine it mirrors the text (episodic, lighter, focussed on Bilbo's development, time at Bag End, time spent on dialogue) then that doesn't discount the views.

It probably means they don't/wouldn't like the text overt much, but so what? Lots of people don't/ wouldn't. I don't see the read across to hatred and excessive bias.

Ultimately you see, if (and that is an if) something isn't good in an adaptation, the fact that it is the same in the source doesn't matter at all.

LR

talkingmongoose
The Shire

Dec 4 2012, 2:49pm

Post #213 of 237 (2996 views)
Shortcut
McCarthy [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel fairly enthusiastic after McCarthy's review:

''Spending nearly three hours of screen time to visually represent every comma, period and semicolon in the first six chapters of the perennially popular 19-chapter book, Jackson and his colleagues have created a purist's delight, something the millions of die-hard fans of his Lord of the Rings trilogy will gorge upon. In pure movie terms, however, it's also a bit of a slog, with an inordinate amount of exposition and lack of strong forward movement.''

That's fine by me. Weren't the Lord of the Rings films occasionally criticised by fans for being altered to appease the masses? I for one am looking forward to a long, slow set up. After all, an hours beginning is nothing when looking at it in the context of a trilogy.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2012, 3:41pm

Post #214 of 237 (2893 views)
Shortcut
I think we should all pick out the most negative thing said by someone [In reply to] Can't Post

and run with it, disregarding anything positive said by anyone else. Because they must be right. Wink

So far nothing I've read about how PJ put the story up bodes ill for me. The reaction to HFR does have me intrigued because the extremes are on on BOTH SIDES.

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

Balrogslunch
The Shire

Dec 4 2012, 3:44pm

Post #215 of 237 (2828 views)
Shortcut
agree [In reply to] Can't Post

i think you are right.....i look forward to their being a big start to it ....with songs in it ...etc etc :)

zecharas

Dec 4 2012, 3:55pm

Post #216 of 237 (2806 views)
Shortcut
Why do people emphasize the bad reviews [In reply to] Can't Post

And not the good? There have been plenty of good reviews yet people always emphasize the negatives. I don't get it. That's what seems to be going on, particularly with people saying the movie will fail, it's the Phantom Menace, the critics' opinions are all telling and all knowing, etc.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 4 2012, 4:13pm

Post #217 of 237 (2746 views)
Shortcut
It's what makes the world go round! [In reply to] Can't Post

People like to talk about the negatives, not the positives.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

lgghanem
The Shire

Dec 4 2012, 4:37pm

Post #218 of 237 (2723 views)
Shortcut
McCarthy's review and misconceptions [In reply to] Can't Post

So while McCarthy didn't like it, he assured me that I as a fan would love it. Perfect.
Also, it seems critics are mistakenly judging AUJ as a standalone film, when in fact The Hobbit is a 9-hour film released in three parts several months apart. That's why an hour-long opening seems overlong in the context of this film alone, but it's actually one ninth of the whole story, a perfect duration. And that's why it seems to "lack forward movement".
I never ever intended to judge The Hobbit as a film; you won't see me bringing up pacing issues and whatnot. It's just one long story told as a visual and auditory treat. Traditional film rules don't necessarily apply to it, as far as fans are concerned, because that's not what we're looking for.

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2012, 4:42pm

Post #219 of 237 (2675 views)
Shortcut
From richest to poorest nations [In reply to] Can't Post

People find crap to complain about. It's in our nature to focus on the negative. That's why we have to remind ourselves to "count our blessings". Wouldn't have to do so if we were all cheery folk.

That being said, it is intellectually honest to not focus on the negative and keep a balanced perspective.

So to all you negative ninny's - knock it off. Wink

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

lgghanem
The Shire

Dec 4 2012, 4:42pm

Post #220 of 237 (2657 views)
Shortcut
It's not hatred, they're just criticisms that don't bother me [In reply to] Can't Post

"If something isn't good in an adaptation, the fact that it is the same in the source doesn't matter at all."
True, the critics can dislike it and express that fairly, but that's not what we mean when we say "oh it was the same in the book so it doesn't matter." Rather, we mean "oh, it was the same in the book, which I liked, so I'll also like it in the movie." It doesn't make the critic unreasonable--on the contrary, like you said, a lot of the reviews have been reasonable--it just makes his or her criticism inapplicable to me as a fan of the book if he or she is criticizing something that is the book's fault rather than the adaptation. He/she isn't telling us anything we don't already know.

(This post was edited by lgghanem on Dec 4 2012, 4:46pm)

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Dec 4 2012, 4:57pm

Post #221 of 237 (2615 views)
Shortcut
Right [In reply to] Can't Post

Making money acting, launching a bigger career, spending time working in a creative environment in New Zealand and doing press around the world - who would want any of that?

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Welsh hero
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 5:02pm

Post #222 of 237 (2621 views)
Shortcut
It will be in flux for a while I think [In reply to] Can't Post

May end with a high 70s low 80s

-Irfon

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2012, 5:41pm

Post #223 of 237 (2548 views)
Shortcut
Nevertheless, I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

If necessary, Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Fili, Gloin and Bombur would have sufficed, IMO. For all their attempts we've seen/heard about the differentiate each Dwarf, it really only sounds as if Thorin/Balin/Fili/Kili/Bofur/Bombur were the only ones which universally stood out anyway.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2012, 5:52pm

Post #224 of 237 (2529 views)
Shortcut
It really should stand on its own as a complete film... [In reply to] Can't Post

ALA all three installments of LotR. If it's incomplete or aimless, it's a failing of AUJ's (or more particularly, the move from two to three films more than likely). It is not a misconception that a film has to work as a stand-alone work of art and/or entertainment, even if two additional installments are planned...IMO Fellowship worked perfectly, including the opening scenes in the Shire, even without the following hours in TTT and RotK.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

ElendurTheFaithful
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 5:54pm

Post #225 of 237 (2537 views)
Shortcut
up to 73%, 11 fresh, 4 rotten [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.