Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The is-it-December-already reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 4 2012, 2:42pm

Post #1 of 25 (624 views)
Shortcut
The is-it-December-already reading thread! Can't Post

I suppose many of us are now reading reviews for The Hobbit---I know I am. I'd just as soon be spoiled, thank you. Smile But for those of us who are also reading books, magazines, etc....

I'm still going through the John Mortimer's Rumpole of the Bailey stories for the magazine article, and have actually made a start! Boy, should I ever have told the editor I'd do this after the first of the year, not that I don't have other things promised for then. Ah well.

Here's the long paragraph that starts off the first Rumpole story, originally published in the 70s. It could be used in a creative writing class as an example of effective narrative and the power of voice:

“I, Horace Rumpole, barrister at law, 68 next birthday, Old Bailey Hack, husband to Mrs. Hilda Rumpole (known to me only as She Who Must Be Obeyed) and father to Nicholas Rumpole (lecturer in social studies at the University of Baltimore, I have always been extremely proud of Nick); I, who have a mind full of old murders, legal anecdotes and memorable fragments of the Oxford Book of English Verse (Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch’s edition) together with a dependable knowledge of bloodstains, blood groups, fingerprints, and forgery by typewriters; I, who am now the oldest member of my Chambers, take up my pen at this advanced age during a lull in business (there’s not much crime about, all the best villains seem to be off on holiday in the Costa Brava,) in order to write my reconstructions of some of my recent triumphs (including a number of recent disasters) in the Courts of Law, hoping there by to turn a bob or two which won’t be immediately grabbed by the taxman, or my clerk Henry, or by She Who Must be Obeyed, and perhaps give some sort of entertainment to those who, like myself, have found in British justice a life-long subject of harmless fun.”

What have YOU been reading?

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2012, 5:14pm

Post #2 of 25 (455 views)
Shortcut
This is the *It certainly is December* reply! [In reply to] Can't Post

This year has flown by. The days crawled, but the year has flown!

I am still immersed in the free books on my Kindle. I read Booker T. Washington's autobiography (really good), Letters of a Woman Homesteader (way too short, but very good), The Burgess Animal Book for Children by Thornton Burgess. I read his series of books when I was about 8. My sister and I used to go to the library and get 6 books and have them read and back in the required two weeks. I loved this as much as I did almost 60 years ago. I read The Innocence of Father Brown and enjoyed the stories.

I am currently reading House of Mirth by Edith Wharton. I read the Age of Innocence previously and didn't like the ending, but I am enjoying the House of Mirth and hope it has a happy ending. A not-so-young 29 year old thinks she has to find a rich man to marry, but finds she is attracted to a poor man. So far she is finding herself sliding into the gossip of her set and she doesn't seem to be able to stop it. I hate to put it down, but actually do need to do other things than read.

At night while my Kindle is charging, I am reading essays by Isaac Asimov. I have LOTS of his books of essays. Actually, I have LOTS of his books of any kind.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 4 2012, 5:40pm

Post #3 of 25 (425 views)
Shortcut
Nothing yet [In reply to] Can't Post

But the semester is almost over and I have a few things on my list!

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 4 2012, 6:05pm

Post #4 of 25 (436 views)
Shortcut
I'm pecking away... [In reply to] Can't Post

very, very slowly at Game of Thrones.

My son left it laying around, partly in case I wanted to read it after watching the DVDs. I'm enjoying the book quite a bit but not only do I not allow a lot of dedicated sit-in-a-chair reading time. When I want to read is while I eat breakfast or maybe lunch (if I'm at home) and that book is impossible to read one or no handed (because it's so freakin thick!). It's one time that I can see where a Kindle would come in handy. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 4 2012, 6:18pm

Post #5 of 25 (422 views)
Shortcut
Asimov wrote a lot! [In reply to] Can't Post

You could keep on reading his fiction and non-fiction for many Decembers to come, I imagine.

I have a new tablet with a Kindle app, which I haven't done anything with yet---we'll see if I go overboard stacking up e-books to read like I've done stacking up paper books to read.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 4 2012, 6:18pm

Post #6 of 25 (409 views)
Shortcut
If nothing else... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the end of the semester will bring a sigh of relief Smile

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 4 2012, 6:19pm

Post #7 of 25 (440 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps an audio book? [In reply to] Can't Post

The one time I started listening to an audio book, when I was recovering from minor surgery, I kept getting impatient---I can read for myself so much faster than someone can read to me. And it's a lot easier to stop and savor a lovely bit of prose when you have the words on a page (of some sort) in front of you.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 4 2012, 6:30pm

Post #8 of 25 (406 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm very much looking forward to a break. Especially a break filled with reading and, of course, the Hobbit! Cool

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2012, 6:39pm

Post #9 of 25 (417 views)
Shortcut
Black Powder War [In reply to] Can't Post

which is the third book in the Temeraire series. Still loving it.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 4 2012, 6:42pm

Post #10 of 25 (442 views)
Shortcut
I've been reading one of Dreamdeer's novels [In reply to] Can't Post

The Harvest of Young Minds. She writes stories and novels based on her dreams, which is an amazing thing to do. I'm only about halfway through, but it's pretty intriguing so far.

Other than that I'm still re-reading some Jane Austen (Emma) and enjoying it. .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 4 2012, 7:37pm

Post #11 of 25 (425 views)
Shortcut
I listen to audio books in the car [In reply to] Can't Post

but I've purchased them at thrift stores for cheap. Additionally, I only have a cassette player in the car so not many newer books are on cassette.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 4 2012, 8:21pm

Post #12 of 25 (393 views)
Shortcut
It's a great series! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if Novik read The Hobbit and Horatio Hornblower during the same week and was inspired Tongue

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 4 2012, 8:22pm

Post #13 of 25 (456 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

My dreams are usually much too chaotic to turn into fiction, although I suppose both my dreams and my fiction echo my interests. In old houses, for example. Well done, Dreamdeer!

You can't beat Austen for a good read.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2012, 11:03pm

Post #14 of 25 (403 views)
Shortcut
Letters From Father Christmas, The Three Musketeers [In reply to] Can't Post

I had gotten LFFC last year for Christmas, and although I started reading it, I thought it better to wait until this season to read it in rhythm with the holidays. So far so good. I'm reading it extremely casually so it'll last. As always Tolkien has an excellent way of providing history to his characters, and I find it pretty funny how much effort he puts into the realism aspect (note the cold and shaky handwriting).

I've also started reading The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. Man, what an awesome book! I just love its language and overall character. It feels like the swashbuckler I've been in need of. I'm a little over a hundred pages in, and loving every word of it. Smile

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Dec 5 2012, 3:00am

Post #15 of 25 (381 views)
Shortcut
*Finally* made it through The Worm Ouroboros. [In reply to] Can't Post

I could appreciate the language, the descriptions, the Tolkien-ish similarities...but good grief, did it ever take its time getting the story moving along into something that could eventually hold my interest! Much better when it become more character-focused and quest-driven.

My inner nerd felt like it was almost required reading for Tolkien geeks, and now I can finally check it off the list. Yayyy!

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 5 2012, 7:29am

Post #16 of 25 (396 views)
Shortcut
Dreamdeer! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just thinking about her the other day. I was reading an old thread on which she posted a wonderfully insightful comment that helped me a lot at the time. Reading it made me wonder if she is still around, because I haven't seen her on the boards for ages. She must be too busy writing. Smile

NottaSackville
Valinor

Dec 5 2012, 12:48pm

Post #17 of 25 (411 views)
Shortcut
Book 3 of The Awakened trilogy by Jason Tesar [In reply to] Can't Post

Hands to Make War: The Awakened Book Three by Jason Tesar. This series is OK, especially considering the first book was free and the next two were about 3 US dollars on Amazon. The book starts out with hints that it is going to explore the fabled "there were Giants in the Earth" reference in the bible along with some mysterious time/dimension travel between Roman-esque times and our own time, with a side of natural apocalypse in our time thrown in. Instead, it has turned out to be a fairly typical young boy turns out to be an awesome chosen one with special powers and beats everyone else story - there has been almost no exploration of any of those intriguing topics mentioned above. I'm about 2/3 of the way through the last book, so it's possible the last third is filled with tons of wild and exciting stuff, but I'd have preferred a more steady mix throughout the series. Nevertheless, for an average of $2/book, I'm not disappointed.

Oh, and I'm 2 for 2 now on free fantasy series from Pixel of Ink where the protagonist develops special mystical powers and uses them to mentally explore his own body and actually move things around/reconnect things to heal his injuries. That amused me a bit.

And what's this about it being December? It's still just October, right? Yikes!

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 5 2012, 3:53pm

Post #18 of 25 (369 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien was a genius . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . not that anyone here would dispute that! And while Dumas may be out of fashion now, it's hard to beat a good swashbuckler. The Three Musketeers is a classic for a good reason.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 5 2012, 3:54pm

Post #19 of 25 (364 views)
Shortcut
Good for you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never did make it through that. Ah well....

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 5 2012, 3:55pm

Post #20 of 25 (387 views)
Shortcut
You have to wonder . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . if you get what you're paying for with some of these books. But then, it's hard to come up with anything new in fantasy.

October? Time you were clearing away the pumpkins and skeletons, Notta. Smile

NottaSackville
Valinor

Dec 5 2012, 7:08pm

Post #21 of 25 (371 views)
Shortcut
The skeletons are staying firmly where they belong - in the closet. [In reply to] Can't Post

The kinda sad thing is, it seemed like Mr. Tesar had come up with a pretty interesting and new premise at the beginning but then never did anything with it.

Ahh well.

Still, I don't regret the time or the money.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2012, 6:12am

Post #22 of 25 (347 views)
Shortcut
The King of Elfland's Daughter [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just started this. I actually bought it several years ago, but didn't have time to read it at the time, so it got stuffed away on an overcrowded bookshelf. I've only recently unearthed it. Smile Anyway, It's by Lord Dunsany and was published in 1929. I had never heard of it or him before, but I was intrigued by the name and drawn by the cover which is Waterhouse's La Bell Dame Sans Merci. But the clincher was that the introduction for this edition is by Neil Gaiman. So far, it looks promising. Smile

BTW, I've never read Rumpole before, but after reading that opening paragraph, I think I'll have to start. Love paragraph-long sentences. Laugh

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2012, 6:17am

Post #23 of 25 (347 views)
Shortcut
I love Asimov's non-fiction essays [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I've read more of his non-fiction, essays, and anthologies than I have his SF novels, though I like them as well.

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2012, 11:04am

Post #24 of 25 (358 views)
Shortcut
I have, also. [In reply to] Can't Post

Asimov is my favorite author and I have as many of his books as I could find and afford. One of my biggest regrets is that I never got to meet Asimov. OhioHobbit did, however, at a SF convention. Picture me green with envy!

Annael
Immortal

Dec 7 2012, 3:16am

Post #25 of 25 (463 views)
Shortcut
Finished "Cold Days" [In reply to] Can't Post

wow. WOW. Butcher just gets better with each book. He has mad plotting skills, too, laying clues far in advance in earlier books that finally acquire meaning in this one.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.