Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
movie is failing
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

haarp
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 1:59pm

Post #1 of 82 (3564 views)
Shortcut
movie is failing Can't Post

these reviews are destroying this film, please, we need positive reviews. metacritic is 62%!!!!!!!!!!

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 4 2012, 2:00pm

Post #2 of 82 (1573 views)
Shortcut
62% isn't failing ... [In reply to] Can't Post

A fail in my book is <40%.

Want Hobbit Movie News? Hobbit Headlines of the Week!

utku
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 2:05pm

Post #3 of 82 (1533 views)
Shortcut
No it's not failing [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just not getting the critical acclaim LotR got which is sad but we all knew that was coming from a mile ago. At this moment only Jackson's words are echoing in my head 'This is a movie made for fans by fans'. So I won't lose much sleep over average Joe not liking the movie. Sure I wish it was acclaimed but by the reviews I have read, I know it's going to be spectacular for me.

chrism628
Bree

Dec 4 2012, 2:09pm

Post #4 of 82 (1523 views)
Shortcut
Whats Really Bugging [In reply to] Can't Post

Is how many are saying its not getting the critical acclaim LOTR got; yet this is only 1 movie so far. LOTR is three movies combined?

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 4 2012, 2:11pm

Post #5 of 82 (1321 views)
Shortcut
I haven't read most of the reviews in order to avoid spoilers... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and the few I've read I'm taking as "someone else's opinion" regardless of whether they are positive or negative reviews.

I only really care that I will like the movie when I see it. I don't care if that means it gets an average review rating of 5% or 95% by the rest of the world.

So really, don't worry about reviews destroying the film. Watch it without any preconceived notions and pass your own judgement. And have fun Smile

Balrogslunch
The Shire

Dec 4 2012, 2:12pm

Post #6 of 82 (1339 views)
Shortcut
agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's just not getting the critical acclaim LotR got which is sad but we all knew that was coming from a mile ago. At this moment only Jackson's words are echoing in my head 'This is a movie made for fans by fans'. So I won't lose much sleep over average Joe not liking the movie. Sure I wish it was acclaimed but by the reviews I have read, I know it's going to be spectacular for me.

agreed and also most of the 'fans' that have seen it seem to think thats it great so i am not too upset....I will look on the positive side and it has lowered my expectation slightly which was a good thing i was going to much over the top ;) ....now i can enjoy it more.....still going to see it in 48fps (if they decide to show it in that format still....i wonder if they will pull it at last minute) .....and am still looking forward to it!

also it has only 'failed' if you yourself personally go and see it and you dont enjoy it! I dont follow anyone until i know the full facts of something myself :) everyone nearly always has agendas of one type or the other or prejudices....

Balrogslunch
The Shire

Dec 4 2012, 2:14pm

Post #7 of 82 (1264 views)
Shortcut
hehe snap [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Earl we posted those comments at the same time we must have had a snap moment ;) ....Great minds and all :)

utku
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 2:20pm

Post #8 of 82 (1407 views)
Shortcut
I actually compared it to FotR [In reply to] Can't Post

But that doesn't matter since all Rings movies got around the same acclaim. However you do have a point. Personally I can't rate the movies individually, I just see them as a 11 hour long one movie. So The Hobbit could suffer from this if a lot of people feel the same way. Some of the critics thought the subplot with White Council is unnecessary but that is only so because we dont know how it will unfold in the next movies.

Aragorn22
The Shire

Dec 4 2012, 2:22pm

Post #9 of 82 (1287 views)
Shortcut
It's not failing... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's at a 71 on RT and is still changing. It was up to 82 an hour ago. I suspect it will end around 80. I figured this would happen. Too many critics comparing the tone with lotr which is so wrong.

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 4 2012, 2:25pm

Post #10 of 82 (1211 views)
Shortcut
I hope they don't bring in an ! tax. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah the joys of stats. It's probably better to wait a little to see where it ends up. Both Metacritic and RT currently have fewer than 10% of the total number of reviews a film generally gets.

At the moment the numbers are fairly meaningless and it's going to be a long old game of bingo if we call out all 150ish fluctuations along the way.

LR

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 4 2012, 2:26pm

Post #11 of 82 (1226 views)
Shortcut
Was it made for fans of the story or fans of Peter Jackson, though? I love most of the clips I have seen [In reply to] Can't Post

and even the minor changes and additions seem to work well. . . but I still have to find out if the rumours of major changes to the history of things like Arnor and The Dwarves are true. If so, both are maddening as they are unnecessary. If the Thror dies AT a battle that his death sparked, not before it, if Dunedain get all the glory for vanquishing The Nazgul, and the Elves who were essential in those last battles are not credited, if The Dwarves fail to retake Moria, not because of the continued presence of the Great Demon Thane who drove them out, but because they are suggested to have LOST a war that they won. . . then I will have plenty of bad things to say about just how loyal the fandom and fanservice is.

In Reply To

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 2:28pm

Post #12 of 82 (1336 views)
Shortcut
The only review that matters [In reply to] Can't Post

is your own.

TP.

Wordofmask
Lorien

Dec 4 2012, 2:30pm

Post #13 of 82 (1223 views)
Shortcut
ok I wouldn't lie myself [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel a bit disappoint about this reaction of AUJ but I think it will be still a great movie for me. only my fear is this concern will haunt me over the next year untill we r come back again to get our honor or pain (so much than this time I can guarantee) in DOS.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 4 2012, 2:38pm

Post #14 of 82 (1118 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* [In reply to] Can't Post

To quote a certain immortal Professor regarding one of his other works:

"It is perhaps not possible in a long tale to please everybody at all points, nor to displease everybody at the same points; for I find from the letters that I have received that the passages or chapters that are to some a blemish are all by others specially approved."

And these words of wisdom hold true for the movies as well. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Lacrimae Rerum
Grey Havens

Dec 4 2012, 2:43pm

Post #15 of 82 (1074 views)
Shortcut
Hmm it rather depends for what though. [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's to guage how much you enjoy the films then of course not.

But I do think critical reception is one of several useful factors in determining how successful a film has been for the wider population.

LR

dave_lf
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 2:43pm

Post #16 of 82 (1113 views)
Shortcut
For standalone movies, yes [In reply to] Can't Post

but an abundance of poor reviews of the first of three films would certainly affect how the remaining two were made.

Wordofmask
Lorien

Dec 4 2012, 2:49pm

Post #17 of 82 (1068 views)
Shortcut
that is what I fear [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks like DOS and the team has a hard time from now on.

In Reply To
but an abundance of poor reviews of the first of three films would certainly affect how the remaining two were made.

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 2:50pm

Post #18 of 82 (1081 views)
Shortcut
Arc of the early reviews what I expected, largely. [In reply to] Can't Post

Overstuffed, overly long, visually striking, visually bewildering, with eccentric touches that run the gamut from inspired to clumsy.

I'm more interested in the critic reviews than the fans (and pseudo fans masquerading as RT critics), because I'm more interested in how it plays as a movie, to those coming to it fresh, prepared to judge it's place amongst the pantheon.

Distinct Phantom Menace vibe. And (and this is the interesting part), judging from a quick sweep of these forums, distinct How Dare They Fail To Adore Our Franchise reaction to the early reviews from some. Very reminiscent of 1999.

TP.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 4 2012, 2:51pm

Post #19 of 82 (1045 views)
Shortcut
What has a bigger impact on how the rest of the films are made? [In reply to] Can't Post

Pre-release reviews, or total gross?

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 2:51pm

Post #20 of 82 (1059 views)
Shortcut
Only if it tanks at the Box Office [In reply to] Can't Post

Not going to happen.

TP.

dave_lf
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 2:54pm

Post #21 of 82 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I was speaking in the hypothetical. I very much doubt it will actually be reviewed so poorly that the box office will suffer.

Shagrat
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 2:56pm

Post #22 of 82 (1064 views)
Shortcut
'Distinct Phantom Menace vibe?' [In reply to] Can't Post

I disagree - I don't see anyone criticizing the acting or dialogue, for example.

I think we're at real risk with going overboard on the 'negative'. Even the worst reviews seem to be about 6/10, above-average, and most veer more towards 8/10 upwards. This is not bad, and as fans we're infinitely likely to enjoy them all the more.

I'd love to see the reaction if these films were getting 1/5 reviews, blasting the acting and writing and production values.

Kaymanklynman
The Shire

Dec 4 2012, 2:58pm

Post #23 of 82 (1053 views)
Shortcut
It will be better than the FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

"There has almost certainly never been an adaptation of a novel more studiously, scrupulously and strenuously faithful as Peter Jackson's film of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Spending nearly three hours of screen time to visually represent every comma, period and semicolon in the first six chapters of the perennially popular 19-chapter book, Jackson and his colleagues have created a purist's delight, something the millions of die-hard fans of his Lord of the Rings trilogy will gorge upon. In pure movie terms, however, it's also a bit of a slog, with an inordinate amount of exposition and lack of strong forward movement."Todd McCarthy

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/hobbit-an-unexpected-journey/review/397416

No need to alarm , for us that are tolkien's fanatics this negative review say all , it is a film for FANS.

greeting from Brazil

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 2:59pm

Post #24 of 82 (999 views)
Shortcut
You might find [In reply to] Can't Post

that if consensus is that slow pacing is a problem, that might influence editing decisions for the next 2 installments.

Despite what PJ says in interviews, there is too much money at stake for the movies not to be aimed at the general audience rather than the fanbase.

TP.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 4 2012, 3:02pm

Post #25 of 82 (969 views)
Shortcut
So ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Does that mean the purse is bought to life?!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.