Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 3 2012, 2:40pm

Post #1 of 32 (382 views)
Shortcut
What movies did you watch this weekend? Can't Post

Deej asked me to sub one more time. So tell us what you watched. I'll post later today on some amazing movies I saw.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 3 2012, 2:45pm

Post #2 of 32 (211 views)
Shortcut
Well I watched 2/3rd of Kingdom of Heaven (directors cut) [In reply to] Can't Post

A vast improvement over the messy theatrical cut and one of Ridley Scott's most beautiful films, let down I.M.O by a weak leading performance from Orlando Bloom, slow pace in the middle and could have done with a bit more action. 8/10

I've also started watching the extras on the Alien Anthology Blu Ray Set, I'll let you know what I thought next year when I've finished them!
Wink

‘As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and we was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said ‘All is now ready.’

Perhaps the most fascinating Individual in Middle Earth

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Dec 3 2012, 4:06pm

Post #3 of 32 (205 views)
Shortcut
Home Alone, The Usual Suspects, Hugo [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a pretty solid weekend in terms of movies.

First off, one of my local cinemas was showing Home Alone on the big screen. It was nice experience seeing it with a crowd for a change, especially for the finale. So many laughs. Smile

At home I sat down for Bryan Singer's The Usual Suspects. I hadn't seen it (in full) in atleast a year or two, maybe more. It goes without saying that this is a excellent flick. Give it a watch if you haven't already, and especially if you haven't a clue what it's about.

I also watched Scorsese's Hugo. Piece of advice? Watch this one with comfort food (like something warm like pasta) and a few cups of tea; it makes for one heck of a viewing. I find that every time I watch this movie I love it more and more, displayed by the fact that I didn't have a single dull moment, though I can't say I've ever had one with this movie, but I enjoyed it more than ever (perhaps because of the food and tea). Kingsley's performance is spectacular, and I personally find that it goes a bit unnoticed. A great film for lovers of movies and adolescent adventure.

FOTR 10th Anniversary Music Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33xJU3AIwsg

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Dec 3 2012, 5:07pm

Post #4 of 32 (219 views)
Shortcut
LIfe of Pi, the LIzzie Bennet Diaries, The Dust Factory, Moonrise Kingdom, Jane Eyre [In reply to] Can't Post

We saw Life of Pi last night, and I just loved it. When I read the book a few years ago, I loved it, but didn't quite get it. I got the relation between the two versions of the story, but didn't see as clearly as I did with the movie what it had to do with God. Maybe that's because in between the book and the movie, I started articulating to myself my thoughts about the importance of Story and Metaphor.

Anyway, an amazing movie adaptation of an amazing book. I was relieved that they cut away from the gore; it could have been pretty gory but it wasn't. And so many amazing visuals. Uncle Baggins commented that he knew most of the animal stuff was CGI, but that he couldn't tell by looking that it was.

And then the Lizzie Bennet Diaries :-) This is not actually a movie, though I watched all 60+ episodes over two days, so it felt like one. It's a re-telling of Pride and Prejudice in modern times using the media of vlogs, twitter and tumblr accounts, as though the characters were real people. It's such a creative way to tell a story. They're only about halfway through, though LIzzie has a new video today that I haven't watched yet. It's so delightful if you can stand the Valley Girl talk. A lot like Clueless, only with this clever way of telling the story. And I love the way they're fleshing out some of the minor characters, more than in the original story. Lydia, in particular, becomes a real person you can actually like. And Charlotte becomes something of a hero. I cried over Jane's heartache. It's a huge time commitment, but I watched while I was grading papers.

We picked up the Dust Factory at the rental place just from seeing the cover and being curious. It's about a couple of teenagers who end up in comas and meet in a kind of in-between world between life and death. The boy's grandfather, who has Alzheimer's in our world, is also there. It's an intriguing premise and very pretty, but I didn't like it as much as Uncle Baggins did. I thought it moved awfully slowly, and the acting wasn't that great. But he thought it was, so there you are.

We'd seen Moonrise Kingdom before and loved it. We bought the video and watched it again. What a lovely, lovely movie, about two misfit teens who run away together. It has a lot of the kind of dry humor I love.

And we saw the new Jane Eyre. It was visually lovely, but I've never really liked the story, so I'm not one to do a good review of the movie. I think they did a good job of adapting the book.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 3 2012, 7:11pm

Post #5 of 32 (212 views)
Shortcut
Ever After [In reply to] Can't Post

with Drew Barrymore. I've grown up with it in my family, and we all just love it. So, we popped it in last night after church while I was writing a paper for school.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Dec 3 2012, 10:12pm

Post #6 of 32 (164 views)
Shortcut
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest [In reply to] Can't Post

with subtitles. I found the subtitling very difficult to follow on the small screen, especially when the background doesn't cooperate. That said, it was very well done and followed the book well, but that also made it very long -- 3 1/2 hrs with commercials! I really hope the second and third movies get made in English and I think that Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara will do justice to it.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Ref
Rivendell

Dec 3 2012, 10:42pm

Post #7 of 32 (252 views)
Shortcut
The Dark Knight Rises [In reply to] Can't Post

I pre-ordered this and got it a day early of the official release date. I still absolutely love this film, even viewing it on my puny tv. The acting is just so superb and the music (especially for the last few scenes) is so beautifully emotive.

I'm listening to Rise from the soundtrack I seriously want to blub like a child Blush

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

*~* Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week *~*

Icon made by the talented wow_genius

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2012, 3:47am

Post #8 of 32 (180 views)
Shortcut
Prometheus and Warrior [In reply to] Can't Post

Prometheus was not as bad as some have made it out to be, I found the visuals to be very well done and the story interesting. I'm not saying I loved it, but it was entertaining. Warrior has two actors in it I had no interest in but I gave it a try because of the high rating it has on Netflix by viewers. I found the great acting made me care for the characters and that carried me through the improbable story.

-Tim came by. Tim! If you had heard only a quarter of what I have heard about him, and I have only heard very little of all there is to hear, you would be prepared for any sort of remarkable tale.

(This post was edited by Tim on Dec 4 2012, 3:50am)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 4 2012, 6:11am

Post #9 of 32 (166 views)
Shortcut
Prometheus. [In reply to] Can't Post

Credit the film for ambition, but it's a mess. Do I correctly understand that the aliens were upset by the dawn of Christianity?

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

zarabia
Grey Havens

Dec 4 2012, 6:34am

Post #10 of 32 (133 views)
Shortcut
One of my favorite feel good movies [In reply to] Can't Post

Such a fun take on Cinderella. And making Da Vinci her "fairy god-father" was brilliant Smile

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

zarabia
Grey Havens

Dec 4 2012, 8:18am

Post #11 of 32 (137 views)
Shortcut
Sir Ian McKellan on The Colbert Report! *spoilers?* (only if you plan on watching Colbert and haven't yet:) ) [In reply to] Can't Post

This week is The Hobbit week on the Colbert Report. (For those who aren't familiar with Steven Colbert, he's comedian who satirizes a particular type of political pundit, but in real life is a huge Tolkien fan) For the opening credits they showed a Tolkien-esque map of the US, zooming in on NYC, complete with Hobbit/LOTR inspired place names. The set was made to look like Bag End with lots of great detail.

They showed a clip of TH that I hadn't seen before between Gandalf and Bilbo. I was very much encouraged; some of the more action packed clips haven't excited me much. Anyway, Sir Ian was a good sport and seemed to appreciate both Colbert's persona as well as Colbert's genuine enthusiasm. I'm looking forward to the rest of the week's shows!

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Tintallë
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 8:30am

Post #12 of 32 (140 views)
Shortcut
The King's Speech (again) and Beastly [In reply to] Can't Post

The King's Speech is just plain good. And really funny. And true! I found it just as good the second time around as the first. Very highly recommended!

Beastly - well, my cable company gave me 6 months of Showtime for free which afforded me the opportunity to watch this little Beauty and the Beast knockoff. I'm glad I didn't pay to see it, but it was good mindless entertainment for an hour or two on the treadmill. Most was drivel but some bits were pretty okay - mostly the beastly makeup. Seriously, I'd avoid this one. Read a good book instead. Read ANYTHING instead. Stare at the blank television screen instead.

Tintallë
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 8:34am

Post #13 of 32 (142 views)
Shortcut
One of those favorites that makes me stop channel surfing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Others are The Princess Bride, Cold Comfort Farm and The Hunt for Red October.

Delightful movie!

Tintallë
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 8:38am

Post #14 of 32 (132 views)
Shortcut
"The new Jane Eyre" [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy

How many times has that been said to date, I wonder?

I didn't even know there was yet another version out. . .

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 4 2012, 8:53am

Post #15 of 32 (137 views)
Shortcut
I never got that. [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as I know, the reason for the aliens to turn killer is a mystery for a future film to answer.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 4 2012, 12:14pm

Post #16 of 32 (188 views)
Shortcut
Here's a link to it online [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.colbertnation.com/...-3-2012-ian-mckellen

after an intro that is Middle-earth flavored, you can push it to 14:25 for Ian.

There's a movie clip at 16:00 - warning for the strictly spoiler free.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Dec 4 2012, 12:24pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 4 2012, 3:47pm

Post #17 of 32 (113 views)
Shortcut
It's a great film [In reply to] Can't Post

We recently got it on blu-ray, and it looks excellent! So there's even more reason to watch it.

"...and his first memory of Middle-earth was the green stone above her breast as she sang above his cradle while Gondolin was still in flower." -Unfinished Tales

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 4 2012, 3:48pm

Post #18 of 32 (153 views)
Shortcut
I don't think I've ever caught it on tv [In reply to] Can't Post

I must say probably the best part is the step-sisters. Absolutely hilarious!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 5 2012, 2:31am

Post #19 of 32 (112 views)
Shortcut
Well... (*spoiler*) [In reply to] Can't Post

Faith was a clear theme and the lead character's cross was foregrounded, but what caught my ear was the fact that the aliens apparently were preparing for their mission to destroy earth 2000 years ago.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 5 2012, 3:07am

Post #20 of 32 (106 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to have to watch the movie again [In reply to] Can't Post

to see if I can pick up that 2000-year timeframe, as I don't remember it.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Dec 5 2012, 4:01am

Post #21 of 32 (128 views)
Shortcut
You probably won't appreciate this. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I haven't seen the film and can't comment,* but anyone who didn't like it may enjoy this:

"Honest Trailer" for THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

*But their similar take on The Avengers seems much too kind, though Prometheus is nicely filleted.

Misto
Lorien

Dec 5 2012, 10:00am

Post #22 of 32 (134 views)
Shortcut
Still need to see that one [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe I will get to see The King's Speech this weekend. Hopefully. I wanted to watch it for ages but it just never happened.

Back to last weekend: I watched Cloud Atlas and absolutely loved it. Bought the book straight away and will most likely watch the movie again this weekend. However, it must be said that I can't remember to have been in such a noisy cinema ever. I kind of see the point why this film isn't for everyone, but why do people need to be so noisy? Mad
And I watched Return of the King EE on DVD. Do I really need to comment on that?Wink

Ref
Rivendell

Dec 5 2012, 3:44pm

Post #23 of 32 (109 views)
Shortcut
RE: N.E Brigand [In reply to] Can't Post

Laughed in some parts, mon ami.

Although I would say it's a harsh review of an awesome movie, but I would say that cuz I frigging loved it.

Laugh

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

*~* Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week *~*

Icon made by the talented wow_genius

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Dec 6 2012, 6:37am

Post #24 of 32 (95 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I shall see it again soon. Cool

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 6 2012, 7:15am

Post #25 of 32 (113 views)
Shortcut
:P / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.