Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Sir Ian McKellen on Stephen Colbert's Hobbit Week

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 10:13am

Post #1 of 11 (776 views)
Shortcut
Sir Ian McKellen on Stephen Colbert's Hobbit Week Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be

Enjoy!

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

waaimasjien
Bree

Dec 4 2012, 11:21am

Post #2 of 11 (335 views)
Shortcut
This is awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ian is such an adorable man. Very funny interview!

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 11:59am

Post #3 of 11 (313 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Martin Freeman will be on tonight. It should be super funny.

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

FantasyFan
Rohan

Dec 4 2012, 12:09pm

Post #4 of 11 (295 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I managed to miss this - I can't stay up that late. I love Ian.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

Finrod
Rohan

Dec 4 2012, 3:04pm

Post #5 of 11 (238 views)
Shortcut
Colbert knows his Silmarillion [In reply to] Can't Post

I quite enjoyed the Hobbiton set they put together, and I am impressed by Colbert’s knowledge of abstruse lore, starting with “Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten” from The Lord of the Rings.

Even more impressive was that he knew of Olórin’s association with the grey lady of grief from The Silmarillion, where “his ways took him often to the house of Nienna, and of her he learned pity and patience.”

Rather surprising, really. Then again, didn’t he say that he’d prepared for The Hobbit for 1,924 weeks?

Although I do wonder that the dream-name of Olórin shouldn’t instead be be accented on the long vowel in the second syllable rather than on the first syllable as is otherwise the norm in three-syllable words without a doubled consonant at the end of the second syllable, nor a long vowel or diphthong there. So I believe it should be “o-LÓR-in” rather than “O-lór-in”. I may be wrong about that, though. I may also have misheard Colbert.

(It’s only fitting that Olórin should have dwelt in Lórien with Irmo: you can see the common LÓR element in the two names. These are the stuff that dreams are made of.)

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

(This post was edited by Finrod on Dec 4 2012, 3:05pm)

sherlock
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 3:52pm

Post #6 of 11 (188 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin Freeman tonight, PJ tomorrow & Andy Serkus Thursday, IIRC. I was up early this morning sick & I tried to watch last night's show but it wasn't available yet so I had to watch it at work today. Fun stuff!

sherlock
Gondor

Dec 4 2012, 3:55pm

Post #7 of 11 (182 views)
Shortcut
I don't stay up late, either. [In reply to] Can't Post

So I always have to catch them when they are re-aired the next day. I've been negligent about watching Colbert the last few months but I HAVE to watch all this week's shows.

Arthael
Lorien

Dec 4 2012, 4:00pm

Post #8 of 11 (190 views)
Shortcut
Colbert Debates Tolkein w/Franco [In reply to] Can't Post

This is an old clip but one of my favorites!

http://www.popeater.com/2011/04/06/james-franco-stephen-colbert-tolkien/

I'm so glad Colbert gets a cameo in The Hobbit. A celebrity as nerdy as him deserves it!

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

MediaMalable
Bree

Dec 4 2012, 6:38pm

Post #9 of 11 (151 views)
Shortcut
I have so much love for Ian Mckellen [In reply to] Can't Post

Clearly so does Colbert. He is one of us, ha.

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Dec 4 2012, 7:38pm

Post #10 of 11 (114 views)
Shortcut
Well, that was refreshing and cheery. [In reply to] Can't Post

A Hobbit interview with some grownup twists and comedy we haven't gotten on the morning shows. Those two were great together. Very real and very fun, indeed.Laugh
Thanks for posting, Pipe Dream.

PS: I just got my first Weta figurine, Strider smoking his pipe alone in the corner of the Prancing Pony. I think you need that one. Wink

ForestPark
Rivendell

Dec 4 2012, 10:05pm

Post #11 of 11 (118 views)
Shortcut
Request crashed cox DVR on demand [In reply to] Can't Post

to respond. . hip hip hurah !!!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.